1 ... 4 5 6 7
Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/27/13 8:58 a.m.

HPS might have been a better call, the HP+ needs some heat to really come into its own, so first runs are going to be a bit rough.

You are going to have a TON of brake dust with them as well.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
12/27/13 9:37 a.m.

Yeah, no kidding, but that's what came in the calipers. I might swap the pads soon. Then again, he wasn't entirely sure what Hawk pads were on there, so they might BE the HPS ones. I should probably still swap them so I know what's on my car.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/27/13 9:47 a.m.

Quite possibly my favorite build on GRM

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/27/13 9:49 a.m.

If you're just doing Auto-X, I'd be tempted to put the OEM pads in those calipers.

And geez are those rotors HEAVY!!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
12/27/13 11:23 a.m.
Storz wrote: Quite possibly my favorite build on GRM

Wow, really?! Thanks!

z31maniac wrote: If you're just doing Auto-X, I'd be tempted to put the OEM pads in those calipers. And geez are those rotors HEAVY!!

I don't think I'll put OEM in; I'll either put Hawk HPS in (which the current pads might actually be) or Carbotech AX6.

My stock fluid boiled; I could tell because you could see where it overflowed a bit out of the master cylinder. The ATE Super Blue will help prevent that, as will larger rotors (bigger heat sink). I'm also thinking of installing titanium shims between the pads and pistons--that's supposed to create a thermal barrier.

These cars are heavy, and the brakes get hot--even just at an autocross.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/13 12:09 p.m.

Cool OBD2 gauge! I didn't know there was such a thing.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
12/27/13 12:20 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Cool OBD2 gauge! I didn't know there was such a thing.

Man, these things are sweet. They work on any OBD-II car made after '96. Cars equipped with CANBUS have different part numbers for the gauges (i.e. there is a Ford CANBUS gauge, a Chrysler one, etc), but if your car is newer and uses CAN, you can see a TON of stuff.

They also have dual setups, so you can use 2 gauges.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/27/13 3:10 p.m.

That gauge is pretty sweet. It might be something i'd use on my Insight when i get the turbo setup on it. Factory wideband to read off of IS nice, isnt it?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
12/27/13 7:14 p.m.
Vigo wrote: That gauge is pretty sweet. It might be something i'd use on my Insight when i get the turbo setup on it. Factory wideband to read off of IS nice, isnt it?

Yes! I'm totally geeking out over this thing. So all Coyote motors have what seems like a slight "miss" every few minutes when idling for long periods of time. I suspected it had to do with catalytic converter temps, and I was right. Every time there's a "miss," the A/F spikes a few tenths of a point. The computer is temporarily leaning out the mixture to keep the cats warm.

Told you I'm a geek.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
12/28/13 3:15 a.m.

Yay, updates! I want a Brembo brake set for my V-6.

You lose the ability to aim that vent when you use the gauge pod, right? I know that was the case for the gauge pod I installed in my old 2007 Mazdaspeed3.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
12/28/13 6:01 p.m.

No, they can't be adjusted. Not really an issue for me, as i dont use the dash vents much. I don't like air blowing on my face.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/3/14 9:00 a.m.

Latest project update!

Tune, brakes, gauges, oh my.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/14 11:04 a.m.

Great update!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/13/14 1:02 p.m.

Just ordered a new positraction unit. What did I get? Stay tuned...

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/13/14 9:12 p.m.

Keep an eye on that diff cover for a bit. Mine was leaking from the factory (after about 600 miles) and it took 3 trips to the dealer and 2 new covers to get it to stop.

Just a heads up.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/14/14 8:00 a.m.

IIRC he already changed that.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/14/14 12:39 p.m.

I know, he put on the diff cover that came stock on the BOSS/GT Track Pack/GT500 cars.

I was saying the first few from the factory installed on my GT Track Pack leaked.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/14/14 12:43 p.m.

Ah, gotcha.

El_Tortuga
El_Tortuga New Reader
3/15/14 8:14 p.m.

Nice writeup. I'm on a daily driver/twisties path as well. Ordered mine as a Track Package/Recaros only car(Budget Baby Boss), she's also been upgraded with 275/35/18 BFG Rivals, Eibach pro-kit springs, Koni yellows, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway, MM camber plates. I didn't see any shifter upgrades in your writeup. While the Coyote is world class, the MT-82 is not. I'm reasonably happy with the Barton + 2 post bracket + Whiteline bushing, but it is still not the strong point of the car.

Our girls may not be the best tool for the agility test that is autocross. However,its boatloads of fun, a great teaching tool for car control, and she is way more capable than I currently am as driver. So far, we've done a half a dozen autocross events so far.

Got her out for our maiden track day weekend last month. Wow, talk about fun. Really different game, and she's really well suited for that game. The Coyote flat out eats Porsches!!!

The track definitely is tough on the brakes, even the Brembos. Did the Motul 600 before first track event, but ducts/pads/SS brake lines are next.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/17/14 1:01 p.m.

My car is a boy. He's a stud pony.

Also, I've had that diff cover on for like 6 months now with no leaks. Black RTV sealant FTW!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/13/14 8:45 a.m.

What is potentially going to be the largest gathering of Mustangs and Mustang enthusiasts ever is happening this week for the Mustang's 50th Birthday, and the Evil Pony and I will be part of it.

There are already nearly 5,000 Mustangs registered to be there.

http://www.mustang50thbirthdaycelebration.com/charlotte/index.html

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/13/14 9:24 a.m.

Between this thread and instructing some 5.0 drivers at a Ford event a couple of weeks ago, I kind of really want one.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/15/14 7:14 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Between this thread and instructing some 5.0 drivers at a Ford event a couple of weeks ago, I kind of really want one.

Do iiiiiiitttt!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/21/14 11:49 a.m.

Parade laps aren't fun when you're placed right behind the pace car and he won't go over 45 mph even though his S197 is equipped with a 500-HP Aluminator XS engine.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/28/14 9:51 a.m.

Hmmm...

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UWTZNJrzlXswYU2cp3cxzH8IE9OcFmyQWPTGNabjFtTMhkeHpEqlh0pM44OaNmgA