4g6Z
4g6Z
8/11/17 10:13 a.m.

I have been asked to start a build thread so people could follow along on this project. I have always been a lover of classic Japanese cars, especially the Zs. When I recently had a chance to purchase one close (5 hours away) I jumped at the opportunity. However in order to afford this purchase I had to sell my first build, a 95 eagle talon tsi awd. Which as many of you know carries the legendary 4g63 2.0 4 liter turbo engine. Now my plan is to build a mid power level (400s) fun lightweight autocross street car by combining modern Japanese tuner engines and classic Japanese styling and great handling.

My budget for this build is $15k finished. Most people will think "No problem!" But I suspect the members who have been around for awhile will know that this project is a serous undertaking. The Datsun body will likely need a lot of work and paint before the project is done. The project will require lots of custom fabrication as i will be mounting a FWD/AWD engine in a RWD configuration.

I will post a link to the preliminary budget for all to review. I appreciate all feedback for the build. If there is interest I may start videos of the process so others can try the same type of build.

StayOne_Benz
StayOne_Benz New Reader
8/11/17 10:31 a.m.

I'll be following this!

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/11/17 11:32 a.m.

Here's this link to a bunch of RWD 4G info if you haven't seen it yet.

Mazda B2600 bellhousing lets you bolt an RX7 trans up to a wideblock truck 4G. Narrow blocks came stock in Dodge Ram 50s/Mitsu Mighty Maxes, or I know of at least 1 company does or did sell a T56 adapter setup.

I'm in for updates. I like 4Gs and I like Zs.

4g6Z
4g6Z New Reader
8/11/17 1:44 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Yea so my plan is to use a w58 trans out of a non turbo supra with a bell housing from Bills Auto Fab. This bell housing is really what makes this swap possible. This weekend Im hoping to have the car moved to a better shop and tear-down will commence.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
8/11/17 2:06 p.m.

So a Datsun, with a Mitsubishi motor and a Toyota transmission?

Like the AMC of Japanese cars. LOL

I'm wondering what you're planning to use for a diff.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/11/17 2:19 p.m.

In reply to Crackers:

Barely related. I found it far to amusing when I found out my '96 XJ and a Lexus LS400 use the same transmission.

4g6Z
4g6Z New Reader
8/11/17 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Crackers: The car came with a Nissan r200 diff I've heard they can handle power so we will see how it goes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TPMoVTt7XbC6gJBFh586XQHIa8FjK4j1djYiD9cmmpeWmL37JLCkFTkchxdEMycS