1 2 3
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/3/18 6:10 p.m.

This project started a couple weeks ago when a clean Volvo 242 showed up at the local Pick-N-Pull. Already owning a 245 (along with 2 other 240s at my house that belong to a friend) we decided to go see if it had any good parts. It was a manual (M46) and rust free. We decided to pull the transmission and manual swap parts just to have around incase we wanted to use them at some point. 

The next day I noticed a sale post on the local Volvo facebook page for a 91 240 sedan with a bad headgasket. The body looked cleaner than my 245 and I have been half-heartedly looking for a 244 to turn into a stage rally car. I went to took a look at it (in the dark) and committed to buy it for $400. A couple days later I went with Jake (Volvo enabler) to go pick it up.  Here are some pictures from the seller.

After letting it sit for a week we came up with a plan for the project. Jake has been wanting to start filming projects for youtube and we have a lot of Volvo parts lying around. We decided to throw in a spare B230 that I had purchased off craigslist earlier in the year because it was too cheap to pass up. We are also going to put on a turbo from a 740 and the M46 (4 speed + overdrive) transmission. 

Here is the first intro video to the project. They should hopefully improve as we figure out what we are doing and I get better lighting in the garage. 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
1/3/18 6:20 p.m.

Oh, cool. This will be fun. 

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/18 6:31 p.m.

Scheurgen... That looks clean!

Subscribed for Swede content.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/18 12:14 p.m.

"Garage Rats"!

Looks like you guys will have some fun times ahead...and record it...

Move over, Road Kill...

EvanB
1/7/18 7:34 p.m.

Earlier this year I purchased a B230 with automatic trans off craigslist for $60, the guy was swapping a LS into a 240 wagon and just wanted it gone. When the alternator on my 93 245 died I took the good alternator off this engine and put it in my wagon so in my mind it had already paid for itself. 

Since we had some turbo parts and the manual transmission we decided to strip this engine down and swap everything over. It looks like it has been maintained fairly well but we are going to replace the seals and do the timing belt and water pump while it is out. 

EvanB
1/11/18 4:21 p.m.

Third installment, pulling the engine. I'll get some more pictures up soon, right now I am headed back out to the garage to paint the block of the new engine. 

It was about 10 degrees out when we did this and my engine hoist didn't work so well. Every pump moved it maybe a millimeter at most so we resorted to some manhandling to get the engine out.

EvanB
1/12/18 6:22 p.m.

A teaser of things to come:

I also decided to move a recliner I had stored in the basement into the garage. It was a fantastic idea, with the heater going it is a comfortable place to sit and think of what to do next. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
1/12/18 8:33 p.m.

Love it! I have to do a 240 before I die!

EvanB
1/12/18 8:47 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

They are cheap fun. I started with one I got at auction for $275 nearly a year ago and now have 4 at my house...

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/13/18 8:51 a.m.

Good job on the videos too!

EvanB
1/16/18 4:21 p.m.

We did some cleaning about a week or so ago when we got a warm front. Later in the week it was 50F so I finished the pressure washing of the transmission and engine after fitting my spare pressure washer hose. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/16/18 5:23 p.m.

Wow, that did an amazing job getting the trans clean!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/18 5:34 p.m.

This weekend we ran into some annoying snags with fittings for the turbo oil feed. We got it mostly mocked up but still have a bit to do. 

After figuring that out we started bolting things back together, it's starting to look like an engine again!

The video will be posted next week as we still have a couple things to add (rear main seal, etc) but here are some pictures of the progress so far. 

This week I am going to be working on swapping out the automatic pedal box for the manual one and we should have the engine in next weekend. 

EvanB
1/22/18 7:55 p.m.

Short break from working on the Volvo this weekend. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/22/18 10:46 p.m.

Holy crap that BOV is loud! LOL

I like the build videos, please keep going. 

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
1/22/18 10:56 p.m.

Wow, nice buy, that's a lot of very clean car for $400. Excited to see how this one turns out!

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/23/18 8:38 a.m.

Love the videos! That's a pretty cool way of doing that. Also that engine is looking phenomenal 

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/23/18 11:15 a.m.

Cool.

Re-doing the whole video today would prove interesting...

wink

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/18 11:51 a.m.

When you go to put the new mill in, want me to bring over my 2 ton hoist's boom?  That should minimize the pryage.

EvanB
1/23/18 7:06 p.m.

After much contortion and swearing, the automatic pedal box is finally out. 

EvanB
1/23/18 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I think with proper planning and attaching the chains it should go much easier with my hoist. Of course that could be totally wrong and it will be even worse than pulling it. 

I will make sure the hoist is warm and full of oil. 

Knurled.
1/23/18 8:06 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

I'd offer to bring the whole thing but it's a bulky SOB even when all folded up.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/24/18 7:25 a.m.

sweet!

Knurled.
1/24/18 7:12 p.m.
stan said:

Cool.

Re-doing the whole video today would prove interesting...

wink

EvanB
1/24/18 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Yea my backyard is a mess right now, maybe even worse than that day. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fgiy4OhjVMRHz59lp7MnlftWgOH6MF3gsjjv3WJQkZiZfisHVrOvQ0fkOMJyIwvO