1 2 3 4
Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
4/17/13 12:03 a.m.

So.. Who wants to annotate the rest of the build thread?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
4/17/13 6:12 a.m.

Maybe I'm dense but I missed how Nasho's post was in any way an insult to anyone?.

I was enjoying the build,couldn't care less now.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
4/17/13 6:45 a.m.

seriously, what happened to this thread?

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
4/17/13 7:36 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: oh crap, I was enjoying that

It was for a while...

but the way it was going, I don't think it was going to end all that interesting- it was more about looks than anything else beyond that.

The real lesson is that it's not all that hard to put in a different I4 in the back of an elise. However you want it to be.

Especially if you have a lot of money.

And less tact.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
4/17/13 7:38 a.m.
Raze wrote: seriously, what happened to this thread?

Apparently, someone posted details of how and where he got the football, so he went home.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/17/13 7:50 a.m.

just wow...This was such an epic win, now, its failed faster than the elastic in Kim Jong Un's underpants.

I enjoy watching other people spend their money. I especially like to see it when theyre spending it on a track beast. I dislike it when a dbag gets all dbaggery over minutia.

Bryce was being enthusiastic -I wouldve taken that as a major compliment that he was compelled, he NEEDED to see more, and felt the urge to share that with his tight-knit auto enthusiast community. What an A-hole, amIright???

Evan was being honest and open, without judgement. Something that is rare on the web these days. What kinda assclown is honest online these days? Get that ass outta here!

Then, pretentious Lotus owner (imagine that?!?!), who felt the need to drive like a dipsh!t in a residential neighborhood, and "correct" someones pronunciation of "frankenstein" at a cars and coffee cruise in (because he was certainly the first guy to mix and match chassis and engines, so clearly, the authority on the term), gets his testes in a clamp over enthusiasm and honesty, takes his posts and goes home? Well, then this likely wasnt the spot for him to begin with. I hope he has good luck with the car - it was cool. Cant judge a car by its owner...

In the end, he shoulda spent that wad on a Miata, or 4...

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/17/13 7:54 a.m.

Was this thread just to "butter us up" for his for sale thread? Then someone spilt the beans and he bolts? Most elaborate canoe ever?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/17/13 7:58 a.m.
RossD wrote: Most elaborate canoe ever?

no, this is the most elaborate canoe ever:

That guy was just a dick

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
4/17/13 8:10 a.m.

Wait, what the hell happened? I check back this morning to get epic build thread details and everything is gone?!

What happened?!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/13 8:58 a.m.

Quick Summary:

1. Dude joins up to Post about his build that is completed. Begin presenting build with mostly pretty pictures of sterile work enviroment.
  2. Nascho locates and links to more details about the build providing more information about the engine swap etc. and answering some members questions about Costs (In things Dude has already posted on the internet)
  3. Dude gets all bent out of shape at Nascho
  4. Other people defend Nascho (Attacking Nascho's credibility and intent is kinda the GRM equivalent of going up against Zack Morris at Bayside).
  5. Dude takes ball and goes home deleting his posts on GRM.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/17/13 9:07 a.m.

Such a rollercoaster from win to fail...goddammit it's Oscar Pistorius all over again

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
4/17/13 9:12 a.m.
nocones wrote: Quick Summary: 1. Dude joins up to Post about his build that is completed. Begin presenting build with mostly pretty pictures of sterile work enviroment. 2. Nascho locates and links to more details about the build providing more information about the engine swap etc. and answering some members questions about Costs (In things Dude has already posted on the internet) 3. Dude gets all bent out of shape at Nascho 4. Other people defend Nascho (Attacking Nascho's credibility and intent is kinda the GRM equivalent of going up against Zack Morris at Bayside). 5. Dude takes ball and goes home deleting his posts on GRM.

My coworkers now think I'm crazy for randomly bursting into laughter. Well done sir.

MacLotus
MacLotus New Reader
4/17/13 10:00 a.m.

The car is not for sale, although it was two years ago when I considered buying a friend's race car. I changed my mind and decided to further invest in the widebody project. Nashco posted it was for sale, not me.

I just wanted to share the project build. It's not an ad for sale. It takes quite a bit of time to write up a build summary and edit photos, which I don't mind doing. But if Nascho's going to answer questions about build cost and post old/outdated information, and the community is going defend his actions as anything other than rude, I got better things to do.

I'm not mad. I'm not pissed. I didn't have any other motive but to share. If it's not an inviting environment with mutual respect, count me out. Other forum communities are more friendly in my opinion. I'll stick to those. Bryce should have asked to post all that info, or if he wanted more information or had a question, he should have engaged and asked. It's just mutual respect.

No body asked me to post build cost information, they just asked if I was keeping track. Honestly, I'm embarrassed by the ridiculous amount I've invested, because honestly... it's a stupid investment. I'll never get it back. If you really want to know... the engine conversion was $30k... the widebody conversion... $25k. I'm over a $100k in a car that won't sell for more than $50k. Why would I sell now?

Want to see more on this project, go where Bryce suggested. It just won't be on this forum. Don't want to... that's OK too. No worries. Thanks to the many of you who reached out via PM expressing your understanding.

Cheers.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/17/13 10:04 a.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/13 10:09 a.m.

Well, if you want to read about this car you can still read about it on other forums using Nascho's links . The phrasing isn't quite so condescending there either.

It's interesting note in this one that the VHPD Rover engine came out because he blew the head gasket on track. That thread is also aimed at a more technical audience, it's a lot better than what was posted here. I think perhaps the builder underestimated this particular audience, we're a lot more hands-on than most.

The engine/trans swap is pretty well debugged over in the UK as far as I know.

I'm curious as to how he expects to get it street legal.

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/17/13 10:30 a.m.

In reply to MacLotus:

Please give the forum another try. I liked your thread until it got 'unhinged'.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
4/17/13 10:39 a.m.

Well I was enjoying the hell out of it. Even subscribed to the OP's Youtube channel. I will be following the other links with great interest. Sucks we won't get the speed up build thread on here.

I for one are dissappoint...

I also agree with RossD's post just above this one. Give us another try, this is by far the best automotive community out there as far as I've found. I really don't think he meant any disrespect when he posted that stuff, but you can't really tell intent or tone on the internet.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
4/17/13 11:52 a.m.
I said: I thought the point of a forum was multiple people communicating. Not sure why you're getting your panties in a bunch, perhaps you should take it as a compliment that I was so interested in your build that I went seeking more info instead of getting offended.

Not sure what the hell happened here...I posted a few links that ANYBODY CAN FIND ON GOOGLE and you're having a tantrum. I thought I was helping my fellow gearheads out that were interested in more details, as I was, that you had actually already documented elsewhere and provided lots more fun and useful information. If you want a "how to" thread that you can delete comments you don't like and leave the rest, that's what a blog is for:

http://wordpress.org/

The car is really cool. Wish I could say the same for you, Ken...you need to chill out dude! In either case, thanks for swinging by...I hadn't thought about S1 stuff for a while I really enjoyed seeing some of the details you posted around the net. While it's way out of my budget the way you've done things, it's still inspiring.

Bryce

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
4/17/13 2:28 p.m.

I agree I was and am inspired by your build. The fiberglass work in particular is great. I love the center console, very cool way of building it and how it turned out was even better. Although I had to follow the links provided to read about it. Questioning Bryce's upbringing however is a DICK move and the way you acted tells more about yourself than anyone else. Yes I called you out on your attitude, but you where the ONLY one making personal attacks here.

Good luck with the rest of the build. I'm sure it will turn out great.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
4/17/13 3:06 p.m.

How about a reasonable middle ground.

Hey old guard guys:

I get what this guy wanted, he wanted a narrative. He wanted to leave some information out, like the costs, and get his story out all at once. I am sure he would have answered questions and everything afterwards, and jumping in to tell the rest of his story ruined this motive.

Hey new guy:

Read my build thread (shameless plug) http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/build-thread-for-the-72-gmc-finally-thanks-john/59103/page18/

See how every night I post every minute weld bead and people comment on how crappy it looks? We are a very technical, very hands on type of forum. We typically do what our crazy brains want to, eventually. Most everyone here who responds with a "oh yeah, that bracket is supposed to be like this and not..." has actually done that same thing with that same bracket like 15 times. We LOVE detail, and often will glean pieces of information for our own use. Bryce is a crazy skilled fabricator and has built some AMAZING machines. See his most recent build thread here:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2011-n600-west-coast-challenger/33452/page6/

See how he welded his own seats from scratch? See how he told us in every terrible step? That's the way Bryce, and many of us, work. He's not a jerk, he was just salivating and missing details. He went out and dug around and found some and came back and told us about them. Thanks Bryce!

We just have a misunderstanding that I think is solvable.

New guy. here is what you do. Type everything up in word, including the html links for pictures. Then take a few minutes and post it all up within a few minutes, so that your story gets told in th order and direction that you want, then we can all jump in and ask questions and you can field some answers.

You seem like a reasonable guy and you certainly have a cool car. Don't let a silly scuffle keep you from sharing the glory details of your build, especially if you can do it in the order and method of your choosing. Make a new thread, though, this one is borked.

My opinion only - I think.

-Tuna

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
4/17/13 3:31 p.m.

Damn, I've been saving this thread all day for an end of day catch up.

Can we all pretend it didn't happen and start again? I was really digging in.

P.S. Seriously, how do you totaly delete posts? I didn't konw you could do that.

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/17/13 4:16 p.m.

The 'X' in the upper right of your own posts. Right next to the bubble that lets you edit your posts.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/18/13 3:09 p.m.

I think we have a technical misunderstanding from MacLotus about how the Internet and public message boards work.

This is also why most message board software only lets you delete posts for a small period of time after posting, because it's damned confusing coming into a thread where every post has been deleted.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/13 3:18 p.m.

None of you sonsabitches better be linking my build threads posted on a public forum on other public forums goddamnit.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/18/13 3:41 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: None of you sonsabitches better be linking my build threads posted on a public forum on other public forums goddamnit.

shakes fist at Internet

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hoJn3REPJPDDJ1Zhc5KYb1I51p1YLerwX88YJftDX0Oo43CSTRkYkwzxBf65W4mX