1 2 3 4
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/9/17 10:16 a.m.

Funny angle i think. Really depends on where and how its parked on how the wheeps fill the wheelwells. Its really odd, i can find no mechanical reason behind it though.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/10/17 7:31 a.m.

I put one of those same USB outlets in my Suzuki when the cig lighter socket died (how??) and mine puts out very low power unless I use a special charge-only USB cable. It's a long story as to what's going on, something about how the USB control circuits used to go into a power limit mode or some such thing, all I know is PortaPow sells cables that lets the thing put out over an amp to my phone.

Witness: PortaPow MicroUSB Charge Cable

If you're having this issue, these are available from vendors like Amazon.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/10/17 7:37 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

I haven't had tbat issue with this one. I did with the one in kenmore, and the company sent me 3 replacement parts before refunding. Wish i would have known about this then.

Doubleoh9
Doubleoh9 New Reader
8/11/17 12:49 p.m.

That's color turned out great, and I'm glad to see you added the seat speakers. I think my favorite thing about my answer was the little 4" sub in the seat back and the headrest speakers, just always sounded really nice.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/6/17 6:30 a.m.

Somehow I missed this build but saw the reference in Robbie's parking lot build thread to the paint. That color would fit perfectly at my company. My father always used to have extra help, when it is slow, paint everything around work with sail blue rustoleom. Really makes me want to buy a miata and paint my challenge car all in one... thanks. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/6/17 8:21 a.m.

So far its holding up well. Still need to wetsand, buff, and wax though.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/13/18 3:22 p.m.

So, big updates coming. Including the story of how it got totalled again, a supercharger, and rustoleum durability review. 

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/13/18 4:05 p.m.

OH E36 M3... AGAIN!?!?

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/13/18 5:32 p.m.

At this point I'm pretty sure you're doing this on purpose just to get your insurance to pay for upgrades. cool

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/13/18 5:41 p.m.

Previous total: 4039

-1500 ish from accident with Mrs. Magoo

-200 from other accident

800 for parts car, which I zeroed out

550 for hard dog ace

553 for supercharger

spax coilovers: 80

3 core aluminum radiator, ebay, 85

new total: 3607

long time with no update. Real long time.

Lots has changed since the last one, and ill do my best to do this in some way that makes sense.

When last we visited this thread, the car was my daily for work. In the 3 months that lasted, I made more in mileage reimbursement profits than I did in salary. After that, I was forced back into a company car. So, oh well. Great while it lasted!!

one day in charlotte, I was sideswiped by Mrs. Magoo. Hit me in the drivers rear quarter.

20170913_105730 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

pushed the quarter in an inch, bent the subframe, knocked the ground effects off, scruffed up the paint, and caused rear end noise. Her insurance and I had a pretty good fight. It was withing a few dollars of being totaled. We retained the car, settled with insurance, and planned the next steps. So I bought a parts car with a torsen and swapped it in. seemed like the right idea.

20170921_202511 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

sold off enough of the parts car to MAKE money, and still have enough of the car left to build a challenge car out of. So thats what happened to that......

I took some of the insurance/parts car money and bought a hard dog ace. I like it because its far enough away from my head to feel comfortable, and provides some rollover/impact protection. Went up to bethania garage, put it in the passengers seat, brought it home and installed it.

20171006_170828 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

I also went ahead and swapped some xenon projectors and HID lights in. better than stock, but still not great. Had the stuff laying around from something, so no cost upgrade there.

20171105_102912 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20171105_105331 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20171105_105339 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

this brings us up to present day. I haven't washed the car since February, have NEVER waxed it, and have beaten some serious miles on it. It has been parked outside all day every day. The rustoleum has held up remarkably well. It still has the same depth of shine on the sides, though the hood and deck lid could use some cleaner wax to bring it back. Has oxidized slightly on those parts. The car was rear ended twice on the same day at the same intersection. The paint on the back bumper cracked and flaked off. Front air dam was hit on something, causing the paint to crack and fall off. It will wind up with a fresh coat of rustoleum after some body work. The dings and dents I ignored the first round, along with the accident damage, bother the crap outta me. I like the car and the color enough to do it right this time. May experiment with clear coat over the rustoleum to see if I can prevent the oxidation. Dont know yet. But I will be doing the jambs and engine bay in blue soon.

20180513_142454 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20180513_142557 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20180513_142448 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20180513_142441 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

and the next round of upgrades. I bought a used jackson racing m45, and a set of spax coilovers from an NA. Time to have a bit more fun. I also don't have pictures of the coilovers at this time. So use your imagination.....

image1 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/13/18 5:42 p.m.

b13 and crackers: it has been renamed pinata. every time it gets hit, i get more candy!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FSEYrPXFpPDjGlAdLhkeIWqZeznFA9YR0VaRVG1E5RzShvHb8AWZyfZLiH2P3FO8