ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
3/8/20 10:10 p.m.

So my neighbor who is ailing was shooting the breeze last Thursday and the topic of his son came up who is currently overseas studying abroad who was driving the car in question prior to leaving. He then randomly asked me if I wanted to take possession of his 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, the car has been sitting parked under covered parking for about 6 years and he couldn't figure out what the issue was.

So I went out we got a new battery for it I put my Bluetooth OBD scanner in and quickly found out that it just had a MAF sensor code, even better was it turned out that it just was unplugged regardless we went out Friday and he transferred the title over to me for the low price of $0. Apparently he decided that the kindness I've been showing him was worth a car that he no longer wanted. 

The best part is not only is the car free but under the two or three inches of dust the paint is in mint condition minus normal scratches and the car itself only has 65xxx miles AND it's a manual. The plan is to relegate this to daily driving duties so that I don't put miles on my project car nor my new GT for work. 

The current battle plan for this is to....

Clean it and give it a thorough polishing

DEEP clean the interior, the windows have been cracked up front near a dusty driveway, this will likely involve a carpet cleaner and pressure washer

Do routine maintenance, fluid changes and a complete changeover of the brakes. 

New tires

Adjust the clutch properly

Thorough inspection of the suspension to see if anything else needs replaced. 

I've always thought these were quirky looking but solid cars, and the manual and super low miles are the icing on the cake

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/20 10:20 p.m.

That's a hell of a score!

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/8/20 10:55 p.m.

Pretty cool for FREE! 

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
3/8/20 11:11 p.m.

He's an older guy and I don't expect him to be around for much longer, I recently pressure washed his deck and rear patio for him and I always have him message me if he needs anything from the store. 

Super nice and his family doesn't much seem to give him the time of day which is unfortunate

I was still a little bit antsy so I decided to clean up one of the headlights as a test panel. Tomorrow I'll be going to go pick up some more pads for the polisher and I'm pretty sure I have all the rest of the stuff that I'll need 

It'll be getting a full compound polish glaze seal and wax treatment luckily for me I spent a few years aa a high-end detailer up in Seattle but I'm a bit Rusty 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/20 10:35 a.m.

In reply to ChrisLS8 :

I will call you State Farm, because you are a good neighbor.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
3/9/20 4:39 p.m.

It might be worth giving him $50 or $100 for it if your taxes or other registration fees are based on the sale price so they don't default to kbb value if you put free. 

nice job and you are definitely a good neighbor. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/10/20 7:05 a.m.

They made those things in manual?

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
3/10/20 7:08 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Right?!?!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/10/20 4:03 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

In light of this information I think the thread deserves a new title.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/20 4:19 p.m.

That thing is super cool! I love rehabing cars that have been setting.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/18/20 2:30 a.m.

Posting to follow updates

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
3/18/20 1:11 p.m.

My mom had an '02(?) For 12 years. Started to get rusty but other than that it was absolutely dead reliable for well over 200k. Good vehicles.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0cpeBrbYvbtMrxdXiO4RtoUiwkGe4wUsD4RYbrhTGXoTMRkPKvRzDUU9UyBnO1no