1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 39
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/19 6:12 p.m.

ECS Tuning 997 GT3 air deflectors arrived today. Ordered 2 pairs for $28 before tax, So $14 each pair with shipping.

This Brake upgrade kit is coming together really well.

spacecadet
12/16/19 3:36 p.m.

Did some additional number crunching today in my spreadsheet. Added in my costs for the oil I've put into the car. Oil changes outright will be for sure tracked. Additional track oil may be missed. I'll also add in tires I use for DD use.

So far with the oil I've purchased thus far

Hazmat costs 10.84 cents a mile to operate as the numbers run right now.

That's not too terrible considering I'm using fairly expensive oil and changing it often and the car runs on premium.

spacecadet
12/18/19 4:56 p.m.

Burns muffler guy did not respond fast enough for my ADD.

So muffler money is now motor mount money.

Ordered Hasport upper and lower torque mounts.

On sale for 10% off plus free shipping. So worthwhile to move on.

spacecadet
12/18/19 8:19 p.m.

My Birthday was the week of thanksgiving. I bought myself a little something extra special and had it shipped in from Tokyo from the guys at 7Tune.

JDM 8th gen civic FD2 Type R brochure.

Lots of neat stuff in it

But the sections on brake and suspension caught my eye

Son of a... mother berkeleyer...

Honda used nearly an identical brembo to the TL one...

AND

They used a duct and scoop method to move air to the backside of the rotor!!!!

I had no idea they did this. I knew it was on the new Type R. But had no clue it was being done on this car back then..

And cause I bought 3 brochures.. I got a little something extra thrown in the package with them.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/18/19 9:28 p.m.

I've bought those Nostalgic Car Magazines and they are all written in Japanese.  I think this is how it must be if you can't read - you can only look at pictures and only wonder what all the words mean.  

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/18/19 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

They apparently make a translator app where you aim your phone camera at the text and it changes it to english.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/18/19 9:40 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Doh

spacecadet
12/18/19 9:50 p.m.

Daylan is working with insider trading info since I was geeking out earlier and sending these to him

spacecadet
12/18/19 11:38 p.m.

Another night.. More youtube diving from me..

I found in this video at 14:50 they have a great shot of the brake cooling setup

Plus lots of tearing up the track. It's a properly fast car.. Now i just gotta keep working to make my own version.

DavidRomeo
DavidRomeo
12/19/19 12:17 a.m.

The Honda Civic Si is a game reduced trim of Civic by Honda. The Si (Sport Injected) trim was presented for the third era of Honda Civics in both Japan and North America. In Canada and somewhere else, the trim got known as the SiR for the 6th and seventh ages, and the Si trim was identical to the USDM EX model

For the Japanese and European markets, the Civic Type R was embraced as the superior variation of the Civic, beginning with the EK9 incubate for Japan in 1996 and afterward with the EP3 bring forth for Europe in 2001. In North America the Type R name was never utilized until the 2017 model year with the dispatch of the Honda Civic Type R. Past to this the Si name was the most noteworthy in North America (aside from Acura vehicles). The Civic Si appears differently in relation to the more track-situated and austere Type R, which has less solid stifling and courtesies as an end-result of better execution. The Civic Si has been situated as even more a full-included game trim, highlighting extravagance alternatives, for example, a sunroof and a seven speaker sound framework.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/19/19 8:32 a.m.

YOU SHUT YOUR SOUND!

spacecadet
12/20/19 6:19 p.m.

Hazmat's clean cut brother sold today on Bring a trailer...

$21,0000

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-honda-civic-si/

Way more than i expected, but probably the cleanest 8th gen Si in private hands.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
12/21/19 2:48 p.m.
spacecadet said:

Hazmat's clean cut brother sold today on Bring a trailer...

Way more than i expected, but probably the cleanest 8th gen Si in private hands.

Surprised me as well, but for the final year of the last of the DOHC N/A VTEC k-series in a desirable color and rarer-still 4 door body style, I wouldn't say it was poorly bought.  I thought 8th gens with that mileage literally didn't exist anymore outside of a museum.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
12/21/19 3:11 p.m.

Why cant Honda get back to that Si enthusiast vibe?

Like the sad tale of the Datsun 240Z, which devolved into the 280ZX....

New ones are bloaty, buzzy boulevard bombs that cost a fortune, weigh too much and look like a Stinkbug on wheels....

spacecadet
12/21/19 4:15 p.m.
Agent98 said:

Why cant Honda get back to that Si enthusiast vibe?

Like the sad tale of the Datsun 240Z, which devolved into the 280ZX....

New ones are bloaty, buzzy boulevard bombs that cost a fortune, weigh too much and look like a Stinkbug on wheels....

I'm not sure what Honda you're talking about.

But the Honda I KNOW, is very much building fantastic enthusiasts cars. And if I hadn't literally been trying to become car payment free for 5 months and finally achieved it YESTERDAY. I'd already have a Si or Type R in my driveway.

The 10th gen Si has a curb weight within 40lbs of my 8th gen... and thats with all the modern gadgets and touch screens and top notch fit and finish of a modern car.

Honda built the S660 Kei car, that harkened back to the Honda Beat of the early 90's, in Japan a few years ago and sold EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Honda will build what we enthusiasts will buy that makes financial sense for themselves.

Honda is building great cars and I think the forthcoming coupe that the Acura Type S concept is forshadowing will be a very good enthusiasts car.

Honda got jumped all over in 2012 when the 9th gen civic released and was a rental car spec interior and did not reflect a modern Honda committed to building nice cars. They immediately admitted their mistake and fixed the cars.

Honda is making and selling a TON of the Civic Type R.

I have no issues with the state of Honda today, 5 years ago.. There was a few concerns... but not anymore.

spacecadet
12/21/19 4:18 p.m.
ScottyB said:
 I wouldn't say it was poorly bought.  I thought 8th gens with that mileage literally didn't exist anymore outside of a museum.

Fair point..

spacecadet
12/21/19 4:22 p.m.

As of yesterday, I am officially car payment free! It's taken a few month of plotting that started last summer, but i did it!

And so, i got myself a little something I've needed for a long time today to celebrate

I have survived many years of autocross and doing my own wheel and tire changes without a impact.

Finally decided to go get one today.

It's perfect for what I need, will not over torque a lug not going on because it's not strong enough, but will speed up the process of swapping wheels and tires, perfect!

spacecadet
12/21/19 4:25 p.m.

I used the impact to pull a wheel off in the garage and mount up the new Mazda wheels.

My buddy said theywere very close fit and he's right.

These have a 245 Bridgestone RE71R streched on them and boy.. It's close when the wheel is up in the air.. And lowering it to the ground.. I can hear the tire squeak on the strut... so the tires are coming off these wheels ASAP.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/21/19 5:23 p.m.

Congrats on being car payment free! I know how hard it is, but it feels so good to be in control of your money. Barring anything catastrophic Mrs. ShawneeCreek and I will never again make a loan payment.

I may have missed it, but are you still planning on entering this into the Challenge?

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
12/21/19 6:30 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Not dismissing your view of Honda , but mine is the R costs ~$40,000 which is too much, and the Si I looked at recently was $30,000 low revving and slow. As if Honda forgot their motorcycle roots. Just one guys view .....now back to the regularly scheduled programming!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/21/19 6:54 p.m.

See the smile on my face? Turo 1 day rental 18 months ago   Not in the cards but oh boy it is worth it if you can afford it.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/19 7:09 p.m.

You look like the proverbial kid in a candy store!

spacecadet
12/21/19 7:14 p.m.
Agent98 said:

In reply to spacecadet :

Not dismissing your view of Honda , but mine is the R costs ~$40,000 which is too much, and the Si I looked at recently was $30,000 low revving and slow. As if Honda forgot their motorcycle roots. Just one guys view .....now back to the regularly scheduled programming!

Si is $25,800 msrp, you can get a discount off that number as well. Gently used ones have slid into the under $20k rang

Type R is a lot at $38k, but the performance is phenomenal. And they're becoming available used in the $30-31k range with low-ish miles.

They're called Hype R by haters, and they is a lot of hype, but HOLY E36 M3, the Hype is legit.

spacecadet
12/21/19 7:16 p.m.

Yeah, my buddy let me drive his CTR 2 months ago, and then let me drive his Fiancé M2 as well last month. BOTH of them are berkeleying amazing.

spacecadet
12/21/19 7:19 p.m.
Agent98 said:

In reply to spacecadet :

As if Honda forgot their motorcycle roots.

Emissions regulations are tighter than ever, Turbo and Direct injection tech is better than ever. I mean VTEC is cool and all, but I'd love to get 5-10 more MPG like I could in a 1.5 civic Si and have more torque too.

Hazmat is cool for track stuff cause I can beat him mercilessly and he gives no berkeleys. But I'd totally rather have a modern 1.5T Honda Civic Si to daily drive, I totally miss the low end torque of my ST.

1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 39

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0iyL651Wl9Rr409d9Ro435nNylbvyu3AJ38UsEZ0PXCwqb8DPwwLAgi41xtoM0jD