1 2 3
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/10/20 3:42 p.m.

Filter in high-pressure cowl area that is no longer high pressure because windshield is gone :)

This is neat, kind of back dating a Miata.

Reminds me of a story from when my parents were courting. Dad removed the windshield from his bugeye, and put a peice of plexiglass in the defroster vent. They went for a drive on a particularly clod night, and Mom's hair froze back.

Cool build.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/20 7:21 p.m.

I love this in the worst way. 

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/10/20 7:38 p.m.

So instead of removing the windshield, you left all those broken pieces of glass sitting there by the cold air intake?

johndej
johndej Dork
8/10/20 10:11 p.m.

Man that's awesome! I remember seeing that car listed a while back, glad to see you're giving it a good life and will keep my eyes open for you around RVA.

stroker
stroker UberDork
8/11/20 7:48 a.m.

Some voice inside of me is calling for a Jag D-Type LeMans tail fin for that... 

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/11/20 8:21 a.m.

In reply to cafcwest :

Shoot me your address. I have a bunch of plugs that will work. I will drop some in the mail of different sizes. One or two of them will work.

Chris

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/11/20 8:21 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

YES!

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
8/11/20 12:25 p.m.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Without going through and multi-quoting everyone, I'll try and address a few items:

- Well aware the 'roll bar' is basically a decoration, that is also being used to temporarily hold up some harnesses. I'm planning on making some real hoops with diagonal down bars out of DOM, but it's exact location/shape will need to be done in coordination with body work. Yes dragging it across a nail file would rupture the tube. Yes it is a skull crusher without a helmet. Yes it will fall over in a stiff breeze due to the lack of triangulation. But until winter this is what it is.

- Definitely inspired to have a vintage feel.  I don't want to spoil the surprise/make 'promises' that I don't deliver on, but I've got a pretty solid inspiration for where I want this to go in the looks department.

- Phase 1 is basically what we have today. Phase 2 is making it look cooler/less like a Miata (not that there is anything wrong with that).  Winter 2020 is as soon as that will happen.  If/when Phase 2 is complete and successful, Phase 3 is a cool swap (also MORE POWERRRRR!)

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/11/20 4:10 p.m.

I love this thing! I admit, it had me looking for super cheap Miatas close by....not that I need another project

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/20 4:33 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

I am on the perpetual hunt for cheap miatas

I post this everywhere, because it is pretty.

It does kind of belong here, though.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/11/20 8:31 p.m.

I know it's just a render and the wheels are all "stancy" but maybe some inspiration can be had:

The back of the green one is cool too. 

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/12/20 7:52 a.m.

I dig this build.  I think a little "period" windscreen would be perfect, but it's great as-is, too.  I love the simple gauges and the wheels. 

BTW, if those OEM seats are halfway decent and you don't want them, I'd be interested.  I'm in 21158, if that's not too far from you.  NA Miata seats are narrow and work well in older cars. 

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
8/12/20 10:10 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

I dig this build.  I think a little "period" windscreen would be perfect, but it's great as-is, too.  I love the simple gauges and the wheels. 

BTW, if those OEM seats are halfway decent and you don't want them, I'd be interested.  I'm in 21158, if that's not too far from you.  NA Miata seats are narrow and work well in older cars. 

Good point.   And in fact, in Virginia you are legally required even on antique vehicles to have some form of windshield.  The challenge was finding something cheap and that looks decent.  I found aftermarket windshields for Model As and 'Brooklands' style flat windshields, but they don't really fit the style of the car.  So I was thinking about motorcycle windshields and mounting it horizontal, but everyone selling a used motorcycle windshield would flake out on me.

So I hadn't really done a 'post' on it, but I found these cheap "motorcycle windshield extensions" on Alibaba for something like $9 USD and mounted them earlier in the summer.

And yes, I am still on the hunt for some non-E36 M3 front fenders.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/20 10:42 a.m.

whereabouts in VA are you?  nice build

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
8/12/20 11:00 a.m.

In reply to stylngle2003 :

Primarily Richmond, but I also have a place down in South Boston for stashing the rest of my junk and for sleeping when I'm at VIR.  Thanks!

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/12/20 11:06 a.m.

I like it

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
8/12/20 6:56 p.m.

Just wanted to say rock the berk on. I'm trying to do the skinny tire thing on a Boxster and this makes me feel ever so slightly less crazy.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/20 7:25 p.m.

In reply to cafcwest :

Nice, we're in Midlothian but i have shop space up in the Hanover airpark.  Lots of miata guys around here.  Maybe I'll see you/it around town sometime.

mrhappy
mrhappy Dork
8/12/20 9:23 p.m.

I can see something like this for the dash.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
8/17/20 6:36 p.m.

You are re generating my plans to do this to our old Sunfire

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
8/17/20 6:40 p.m.
mrhappy said:

I can see something like this for the dash.

I like that a lot!

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
8/17/20 6:40 p.m.

In reply to TIGMOTORSPORTS :

I am generally considered a bad influence by my friends :-)

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
8/31/20 4:34 p.m.

Scored some decent red fenders last weekend, so I got those finished up last night.

Since GRM has started posting the project around in a few places, it has been getting plenty more roll bar hate.  I'm gladly accepting contributions for tubing, bender, etc. laugh

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YPiPp9G9OCkHZ63btWJWvb3x0gtSb0pWdicteraOjTdimxBtFyHR0KxjYTSESeZu