ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
8/28/18 7:22 p.m.

A buddy of mine picked this gem up for a steal and recruited me to help build it. 1994 NSX with 64,000 miles that has been sitting for at least 7 years. We stumbled across this in some pics of some other supplies we were buying. Turns out the Car was with the building when the current owners bought it and they just never did anything with it. Missing the engine and transaxle but otherwise all there. Initial impression was a little scary but after about 2 solid days of cleaning and detailing we now have a really nice car to build. The amazing thing about this is that we had kicked around different engine ideas and after deciding to do a J series swap the next day we found a 6 speed 3.2CL Type S with a Comptech supercharger for $1800.00 that was puking oil and not making boost. Turns out the belts were garbage and the leak was a rear main seal and since we are rebuilding it anyhow it is perfect.

This is the Car as we found it

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/28/18 7:29 p.m.

That's cool. I always wondered if the rest of the Honda V6's would slot into place. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
8/28/18 8:10 p.m.

Well this will be interesting, good that you could save the car. 

I have a 2005 that is just fantastic, it will be interesting to see how the J swap works out in yours.  

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/2/18 7:11 p.m.

Looking forward to this.

Medchin
Medchin New Reader
9/2/18 7:45 p.m.

Turns out the Car was with the building when the current owners bought it and they just never did anything with it.

I don't see any mention of a title/bill of sale/etc? Don't know if you're here in the states but I would be very nervous about rebuilding a car I had no legit documentation for. Now if you've got all the paperwork: excellent find! I look forward to seeing it back on the road! Just make sure you're not doing all this work for someone else ;)

Basically a non-issue if he only plans to track the car and not register it, long as the previous owner doesn't come crawling out of the woodwork with documents.

Sorry to be the fun police! Best of luck!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/2/18 11:15 p.m.

There are procedures in the US to get a title for a car that's been abandoned (it varies from state to state) but I agree it should be resolved first.  

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of someone abandoning an NSX, though.  What kind of crazy person does that?  smiley

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/2/18 11:29 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I generally believe the story is thus: nsx is squirrelled away during a divorce. Squirreler dies nsx is forgotten.

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
9/3/18 6:59 p.m.
Medchin said:

Turns out the Car was with the building when the current owners bought it and they just never did anything with it.

I don't see any mention of a title/bill of sale/etc? Don't know if you're here in the states but I would be very nervous about rebuilding a car I had no legit documentation for. Now if you've got all the paperwork: excellent find! I look forward to seeing it back on the road! Just make sure you're not doing all this work for someone else ;)

Basically a non-issue if he only plans to track the car and not register it, long as the previous owner doesn't come crawling out of the woodwork with documents.

Sorry to be the fun police! Best of luck!

Paper work was sorted out before we picked the Car up. Basically the Car was in Kansas and abandoned on property in Kansas and we has do apply for an abandoned car title and go through the proper channels then we had a Kansas title that we then had to trade in for a Florida title

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
9/3/18 7:01 p.m.

The way we understood it is that the shop owner ripped off a bunch of people and basically abandoned everything. The current owners bought the shop from a state auction with all contents which included the car

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/18 7:05 p.m.
ErikTheSwede said:

The way we understood it is that the shop owner ripped off a bunch of people and basically abandoned everything. The current owners bought the shop from a state auction with all contents which included the car

Wow.

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
9/3/18 7:10 p.m.

I’m so jelly. Nsx is high on the list of cars I wish I could own

79rex
79rex New Reader
9/3/18 7:17 p.m.

I also wish to stumble upon an abandoned NSX one day.  I just might win the lottery first though. 

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
9/3/18 7:20 p.m.

Some pics of when we got it and started sorting it out. I'll post up some current pics of the cleaned up car and the drivetrain build progress later this week

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
9/3/18 7:26 p.m.

There are rumors of this car having run 10s in the past and I am inclined to believe that. It has a very large heat exchanger in the front for an air to waster intercooler and has an ice box. It also has a large oil scavenge pump for some low mounted turbo. We plan on running 8 to 10 psi from the supercharger through an air to water intercooler. I will be happy with 350 whp.

This is the CL donor setup before we pulled it. Just waiting on a couple little things before we reassemble it.

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
9/3/18 7:31 p.m.

In reply to 79rex :

Trust me, I know. The guy that bought this thing finds deals like no one I have ever met. Bough a 95 supra 5 speed with a clean title and zero body damage with all vin tags in place in driver condition for $7k. Then buys a running driving clean body Grand National for $5k.. He steps in crap and comes out smelling like roses. He is the guy you will hear about that finds a Porsche 930 turbo in an estate sale for $5,000

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/18 8:09 p.m.

This looks like a great start to a fun story. I’m in to follow. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/3/18 8:13 p.m.

Amazing.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/3/18 9:06 p.m.

Glad to see her rise from the ashes.  Such a sad state to find a beauty queen in.

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
1/1/19 11:24 a.m.

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
1/1/19 11:27 a.m.

It's been a while so I'd thought I'd do a progress update. Engine has been freshened up and a new set of headers installed. Engine is mounted in the engine bay but it looks like the supercharger isn't going to fit so for now it will stay naturally aspirated. We are hoping to be driving it by February. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/1/19 11:32 a.m.

What a beautiful start to the new year 

color me jealous ! 

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
1/1/19 12:35 p.m.

Somehow I missed this the first time around.  Great find!  I look forward to watching your progress.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/19 8:53 a.m.
ErikTheSwede said:

That's an angle grinder and an NSX in the same picture... I love this forum. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S6ZZKoky0dE2HhJEDVIAGTUG5McizSDsDnT8cnYa1ORHsA1IFBL4JAEIyUjxDp4Q