1 2 3
flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/22/21 10:20 p.m.

The solution is fox body Mustang steering rack spacers. It turns out a single 1/4in spacer on each side is perfect. You can get a 6 pack for about $20 from LMR. 

The result? 38.3 deg. So within 1 degree of stock, just slightly less which is honestly perfect. Another spacer might be a good idea of you wanted to run brake ducts and keep from destroying them.

For comparison sake... This is a stock knuckle at full droop...

Vs ST:

I measured a ~5.5 deg improvement in angle for reference.

flatlander937
7/22/21 10:27 p.m.

This is my resulting control arm angle at ride height. At about 3/4 to 1in lower than I've run in the past.

Also now the current setup is 10k Swifts up front, 12k Swifts out back. No sway bars at all. Ride height is 23in front and rear to the wheel arches with the 205 ECS.

flatlander937
7/24/21 11:34 p.m.

Got it corner balanced and aligned it today.

Went for about halfway between a "perfect" 50% crossweight and even LF vs RF weights(which I did for autocross with good success)... Which resulted in a 30lb difference between the two fronts.

Got all the ride heights near perfect just based off of doing this a dozen times over the past few years.. all I had to do was run the right front up a couple turns and ended up right where I wanted it. Ended up with 4.2/4.1 deg camber, and zero toe.

The car feels good overall, gotta monkey with the shocks a bit. Not super happy with how harsh it is over large 2-wheel bumps at higher speeds... But on track that will probably be a non-issue.

Might raise the front ride height by 4-5mm as I think it's the front bump stops hitting. Will probably see how it shakes out on day 1 at Mid O and make the call after that. Also debating whether to pull 0.5 to 0.8 deg of camber from the right front, since the track is heavily biased to right hand turns. 

Only stuff left to do is basically an oil change, clean it up, and get the vinyl graphics on. I also replaced the valve stems and flipped my RT660s on the 8in Hypergrams last night, I'll throw those on next weekend after I drive around some to get these shock settings straight.

flatlander937
7/30/21 11:04 p.m.

I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious. cheeky

flatlander937
7/31/21 2:19 p.m.

One last pic of Blueboy and Tot together.... The new owner paid for and picked up Blueboy this morning. Sad to see it go, but had to happen.

The new owner brought their own wheels+tires to save money so now I've got the Advanti Storms with a second set of basically brand new Conti ECS on them for Tot. Need to decide whether to sell/keep/trade the wheels and/or tires. Don't exactly need them. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/9/21 8:53 p.m.

You okay Tony? Saw the Instagram photos.. couldn't really see the hit in the video

Was yours the same event that Bobzilla ran?

flatlander937
8/9/21 10:47 p.m.

Yeah I'm just fine. That was the same event.

Even with what happened, I had a freaking blast and can't wait to go back!

We'll see how this track insurance works and see what's next.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/10/21 7:53 a.m.

I know I've said it a dozen time in our chat group but I'm glad you're OK. I might have been a little angry (after I heard you were OK) that we got one hot lap .... cheeky It took me until the last session to find my ... umm.... "manly parts" and try 1 with a light lift before entry and then staying on throttle. That was the hardest for me. 

As much as I REALLY want you to fix or find another SC car, I can understand thewant for prepped and power. Good luck!

flatlander937
8/10/21 10:00 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Honestly I think I just want it fixed. I had a lot of fun with the Sundae Cup crew and really just want a cage and proper halo seat now. I love this dumb little car.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/11/21 6:46 a.m.

So what happened?

and what's the damage?

glad you're ok, though, first and foremost. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/11/21 8:36 a.m.
flatlander937 said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Honestly I think I just want it fixed. I had a lot of fun with the Sundae Cup crew and really just want a cage and proper halo seat now. I love this dumb little car.

This fills my heart with so much joy. 

flatlander937
8/11/21 5:23 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

So what happened?

and what's the damage?

glad you're ok, though, first and foremost. 

Coming around T1 under the bridge flat out, at apex noticed a massive dust cloud I was about to drive into. Had no sight of track out, dipped two wheels off, hooked and spun left, bounced off the tire walls, and thank God wasn't hit by the 2 Sundae Cup cars and Lotus that came through. I could hear them buzzing by me. I had no idea I was on the track as I couldn't see anything and had no idea I bounced that far back.

Video from the car behind me:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSWqqX1ng-k/?utm_medium=copy_link

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/13/21 7:48 p.m.

Here is my video 2 cars behind Tony... it was berkeleying TERRIFYING

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
8/13/21 8:41 p.m.

Bummed to see the crash as I have always really enjoyed this car and this thread! 

I'm very to happy to hear you are okay!

johndej
johndej Dork
8/13/21 8:41 p.m.

Geeeezzzzz pucker moments for sure there just flying into the unknown. Hope you can get it back in track soon!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2Girlsracing (Steffi) Reader
8/14/21 7:26 a.m.

Good luck with the rebuild, onwards and upwards.

flatlander937
8/14/21 10:19 a.m.

Yeah we'll see what happens. It's definitely race car repairable for sure. I had a policy through Lockton on it, so depending on the payout it may make sense to just start fresh with something else. Won't know until I find out what they value everything at vs cost to buy back + repair.

Looking at C5s as a fall back plan, though I'd love to get Tot on track again if it makes financial sense, but it won't be without a full cage + halo seats and harnesses. Also kind of waiting to see what interesting stuff turns up for sale after the Runoffs - an already built B Spec car would fit my needs too. 

Im torn because I want something faster for 90% of the events I do... But dang Gridlife with the Sundae Cup guys was just the most fun I've ever had. I wish I could have enough time off and travel to all the GL events, but that's just not feasible.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/14/21 4:53 p.m.

Scary! I have been following this thread, and really like what you've done with the car. 

I'm glad you're okay. 

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/14/21 5:28 p.m.

I kind of want to build a Fiesta sedan for B-spec, just because it would be different from all the hatchbacks. But yeah, used ones of those are pretty cheap probably as a side effect of the automatic ones always having DCT problems, but the 5-speed would be alright. Anyway I vote for rebuilding Tot or getting another B-spec car. laugh

flatlander937
8/17/21 8:54 p.m.

Well Tot is a for sure total loss. Got a $12.9k estimate to repair it (not counting the aftermarket stuff on it).

I don't really have the time to constantly wrench on stuff and get way into modding so I think I'm going to push the easy button and get a C5.

I am buying back Tot to strip parts from it, and just received a deposit for the rolling chassis as it will be going to Texas to become a B Spec racecar which I think is about the best possible way for this story to end in my ownership.

barrym2
barrym2 New Reader
9/8/22 7:48 p.m.

flatlander937
11/20/22 1:37 a.m.

Bringing this thread full circle - Tot is getting turned into a B Spec car by Chris Taylor Racing, and I've moved onto a 2019 VW GTI which will be documented here if anyone is interested:

https://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/der-hase-track-shenanigans-2019-mk75-gti-rabbit-edition/224161/page1/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LIsNfoQ1S1h42tZQpGeQPw5lCMZPwJpeigStAj5ecoBEBxqVgrtzrgPbV7gLtRxX