Great Project!

java230
java230 UltraDork
6/20/18 1:41 p.m.

Impressive!

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
7/14/18 6:36 p.m.

Upper radiator mount/air duct panel. One welded assembly. It will have rubber seals blocking off the large gaps. Semi-finished hood hinge is seen hanging off the front there. Eventually I'll have to decide where I'm cutting openings in the nose for air flow.

The lower radiator and condenser mounts were chopped off the Miata brackets, welded to some box tube, and welded to a crossbar that I welded into the bottom of the cars chin and tied to the bumper mount area. This will also give structure to the chins skin and provide a base for air dam or spoiler mounts.

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
7/22/18 7:59 p.m.

Gonna need custom AC lines; the Ecotec Miata oil pan wants to occupy the space under the sway bar. I believe I'll at least have to cut off the condenser fitting at the end of that tube in the front and weld it right to the end of the condenser where the tube comes out, then I won't have to have the lower of the two lines cross over under the sway bar. I'll know more once I get the Ecotec in there with the oil pan and accessories on it. Oh, I guess I should also mention that I cut a gaping maw out of the lower nose area that will serve as the main air inlet. It needs some more work yet.

Front

Rear

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
8/17/18 5:22 p.m.

AC has been figured out. I did what I said I was going to do with the condenser. Getting custom lines and fittings to mate the GM compressor to the Miata bits will be easy thanks to ColdHose.com.

The bottom of the nose has been closed off to leave the upper oval portion open from the pic above. I also made a cheezo air dam, that sits immediately below the mouth opening, out of a length of rubber wall scuff guard. You won't even be able to see it when the bumper is on and it'll take being run up on a curb without being destroyed.

And getting hood latches and poppers is another big accomplishment so far.

There is a matching set on the other side. The Miata hood cable will be run through cable stops attached to each latch arm to release them. The poppers are just cheap spring loaded door poppers from ebay. Works great, hood stays tight and secure. I can always add some rubber bumpers later if it wiggles around on the road.

I also started digging into the wire harness, eliminating some unused stuff and rerouting some stuff. The real fun will be when I go to mesh the Miata and Ecotec wiring.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
PL5jX4sd7yU8PEY4ox9a5zYEJXa9leplyH8yKGyJUdA7qk8pRtT8x7rZZY1VuePy