Great Project!

java230
java230 UltraDork
6/20/18 1:41 p.m.

Impressive!

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
7/14/18 6:36 p.m.

Upper radiator mount/air duct panel. One welded assembly. It will have rubber seals blocking off the large gaps. Semi-finished hood hinge is seen hanging off the front there. Eventually I'll have to decide where I'm cutting openings in the nose for air flow.

The lower radiator and condenser mounts were chopped off the Miata brackets, welded to some box tube, and welded to a crossbar that I welded into the bottom of the cars chin and tied to the bumper mount area. This will also give structure to the chins skin and provide a base for air dam or spoiler mounts.

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
7/22/18 7:59 p.m.

Gonna need custom AC lines; the Ecotec Miata oil pan wants to occupy the space under the sway bar. I believe I'll at least have to cut off the condenser fitting at the end of that tube in the front and weld it right to the end of the condenser where the tube comes out, then I won't have to have the lower of the two lines cross over under the sway bar. I'll know more once I get the Ecotec in there with the oil pan and accessories on it. Oh, I guess I should also mention that I cut a gaping maw out of the lower nose area that will serve as the main air inlet. It needs some more work yet.

Front

Rear

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
8/17/18 5:22 p.m.

AC has been figured out. I did what I said I was going to do with the condenser. Getting custom lines and fittings to mate the GM compressor to the Miata bits will be easy thanks to ColdHose.com.

The bottom of the nose has been closed off to leave the upper oval portion open from the pic above. I also made a cheezo air dam, that sits immediately below the mouth opening, out of a length of rubber wall scuff guard. You won't even be able to see it when the bumper is on and it'll take being run up on a curb without being destroyed.

And getting hood latches and poppers is another big accomplishment so far.

There is a matching set on the other side. The Miata hood cable will be run through cable stops attached to each latch arm to release them. The poppers are just cheap spring loaded door poppers from ebay. Works great, hood stays tight and secure. I can always add some rubber bumpers later if it wiggles around on the road.

I also started digging into the wire harness, eliminating some unused stuff and rerouting some stuff. The real fun will be when I go to mesh the Miata and Ecotec wiring.

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
9/22/18 6:47 p.m.

Lots more stuff. I'm bouncing around all over the place.

The sacrifice to the #volkzda god needs a thermostat and ECT. I've been commuting with it for a few months now to feel out the engine and throttle and to make sure everything is kosher before I tear it down. It's an '06 Ion 3 with a stick that is pretty clean for 110k mi. I will probably get most of my money back when I part it out.

Made my own, mostly finished, raised battery tray so it'll clear the suspension top hat and so I can get at the bolts without removing the battery. You'll also notice how in the wheel arch/trunk area where a bunch of odd angles and shapes between where the VW and Mazda meet I basically said "Forget it." and just patched it up. It is structurally sound and all, it just looks like garbage. It will be covered anyway when I eventually finish the trunk off.

Rear VW reflectors before, during, and...

after transforming them into reverse lights. I don't want to use the goofy bumper mounted spotlight style reverse lights so there you go.

Wait until you see my sweet washer reservoir that I'm making out of an aluminum calibration gas bottle. It'll be mounted under the fender above the wheel arch and will be filled through the VW fuel door like I was saying before. I'm about to finish the hood latch release cable setup as well as fixing various little things on the VW body. 4x 6.5" speakers will be all I'm going to do for the stereo and those have been mounted to that new rear shelf/firewall and in each door. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
9/22/18 8:24 p.m.

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
10/5/18 9:59 a.m.

this is giving all sort of ideas for my squareback 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/5/18 10:39 a.m.

Want more info on the hood latch? What are they from?

Looks exactly like what I need for the Molvo and I need to come up with a plan quickly so I can avoid doing this with a painted car.

Pete

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
10/7/18 10:45 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

They're just Eberhard brand universal rotary latches. They're used in tons of stuff and come in a bunch of configurations. I chose them specifically with this layout in mind. The latch center diameter also happened to be a perfect fit for the shoulder of a 3/8 bolt, which is what the pins actually are, with the hex head cut off. You can go to Eberhard's website and look up some part numbers and google them, that's what I did.

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
10/9/18 9:21 p.m.

Made good on my 'washer reservoir through the fuel door' promise. The square part on the bottom is a sump for the pump, which is out of view. Hose on top is just a vent.

In the first pic you can also see the hood release cable I set up. I chopped up the casing of the Miata cable and routed it using some cable clamps that I made out of aluminum plate. Next up: Tearing down the motor and replacing all the gaskets, chain, water pump, etc. Putting on the swap oil pan. Tapping and plugging the holes for the oil cooler that is in the way and was only on 06-07 LE5s.

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
11/12/18 11:07 p.m.

Time for a trial fit. Engine has been gone through. Head surfaced and ports lightly ported. Valve cover poorly painted.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
xH5p62gTA3uaxwGyjtND08GSMqyqxX7HbkeXVjtdwGnoL9OC8doWp6uqRX5qJSja