1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 32
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/10/18 7:08 a.m.

You guys are making headers look much easier than they are. Glad to see you back in action on this.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/18 7:21 a.m.

+1 for seeing the build continue, and yes they do make header construction look much easier than it really is!

I can see why you went Nitrous, as it has to be cheaper than a turbo setup for a challenge budget.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/10/18 11:38 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

You guys are making headers look much easier than they are. Glad to see you back in action on this.

Practice makes perfect. My dad has quite a few sets under his belt. I just help weld them.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/10/18 11:40 a.m.
dherr said:

+1 for seeing the build continue, and yes they do make header construction look much easier than it really is!

I can see why you went Nitrous, as it has to be cheaper than a turbo setup for a challenge budget.

Yeah. Chinese turbo parts have changed a lot though. The issue is finding which Chinese parts actually work, and which don't. That or find used genuine stuff.

I think was the right decision.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/18 12:48 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Ok I've been as patient as I can. Can you tell us why the speedunio didn't work out?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/10/18 1:39 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Ok I've been as patient as I can. Can you tell us why the speedunio didn't work out?

So, I guess I should have been more careful with my phrasing. It could have worked out, I just got tired of fooling with it, and gave up. 

Another gentleman on the Speeduino forum got it running on an LS before. I followed his guide to the T, and could not get it to recognize the crank trigger. Bench testing it, I could get it to recognize a signal from my signal generator, but when I hooked it to the car (my Studebaker), I had no such luck. I made sure that I had the appropriate voltages at the right places, and frankly got tired of rewiring my car to try to make it work temporarily, and then failing and having to return it to it's original state so I could drive it again. It is a relatively new open source product. It does not provide error codes like the stock computer does, so tracking down the issue is very difficult. 

I also had issues with getting the digital outputs working. I followed another guide to attempt to trigger the fuel pump with the ECM. I bought the specified chip, wired it in, and it didn't work. I fooled with that for a while and gave up. I'm sure someone else could get it to work, and I might try again someday, but right now I'm in the throw it together and do burnouts mood.

It looked hopeful for a while, but I spent enough time fooling with it with little success, and it didn't make sense budgetwise. For $50 more I could use the Microsquirt I picked up that already had a harness (which needs reworked). For $70 less, I could use a stock computer and have something that is better in most ways and not as good in a couple. So I gave up on it.

Besides the Microsquirt is better documented and has the capability of dry nitrous!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/17/18 5:29 a.m.

Day 129 - June 5, 2018

Finished tacking passenger side header. Tig welded all primary tubes.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/18 6:50 a.m.

Day 130 - June 8, 2018

Painted tubes. Welded header flanges.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/24/18 8:48 a.m.

Very nice.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/18 10:41 a.m.
preach said:

Very nice.

Thanks!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/26/18 9:08 a.m.

I think we're going to bump this up to two updates a week.

Day 131 - June 9, 2018

Started fabricating collector.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
7/26/18 11:08 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Do you just buy off the shelf header flanges for an LS, or are you making them? I "hear" one can weld LS flanges to a set of BBC headers fairly easily.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/26/18 1:15 p.m.

How close are you to 'equal ' length on your headers +/-?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/26/18 2:00 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Do you just buy off the shelf header flanges for an LS, or are you making them? I "hear" one can weld LS flanges to a set of BBC headers fairly easily.

Flea market, second hand sale and one set from Summit garage sale. 

Also, BBC header will not work on an LS. Spacing is different. Ironically, I have seen this done with small block Ford headers. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/26/18 2:00 p.m.
759NRNG said:

How close are you to 'equal ' length on your headers +/-?

Longest to shortest, 9/16 of an inch.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/31/18 7:23 a.m.

Day 132 - June 10, 2018

Fabricated right header collector.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/18 11:14 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

did i miss it somewhere (1) how you accomplish the diameter increase from merge to exit of collector and (2) why you do this?

as always, thanks for the update.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/31/18 11:22 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

1.  Cheap set from Flea market

2.   Flattens/lowers the pressure pulse and lengthens the signal duration.  Read - less velocity change at the merge point.  Exhaust section is sized for the volume (HP).  Merge point is sized for flow velocity.

AngryCorvair
7/31/18 11:27 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

do you cut off the flange and attach them backwards, or do they come with diameter increasing from inlet to outlet?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/31/18 11:29 a.m.

It's a reducer cone turned backwards.laugh

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/18 2:15 p.m.
wheels777 said:

Aaah, an embiggener.

Thanks to this thread, I believe I can now make a collector. Appreciated.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/31/18 2:41 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:
wheels777 said:

Aaah, an embiggener.

I think this thread has changed and/or enabled A number of folks to do things differently and or tasks they would not have done before

AngryCorvair
7/31/18 2:44 p.m.
wheels777 said:
wheelsmithy said:
wheels777 said:

Aaah, an embiggener.

I think this thread has changed and/or enabled A number of folks to do things differently and or tasks they would not have done before

i hope to someday prove you right!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
8/2/18 7:08 a.m.

I'm really sad hearing the news about the challenge. Like a lot of our cars, the primary focus of this car is straight line performance. Don't get me wrong, we have put a little thought into making it turn, but it will never compete with a well prepared Miata. 

That won't stop us. 

Day 133 - June 16, 3018

Laid down some paint.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/18 8:47 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

It’s just more time to test & tune for 2019, right?

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 32

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NhVpHlCHxQU87DhEIZBMyS6e03sttig0GJIlLpvg8EPe0tUXGYpjNOdeHfvBIRQ7