1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/2/21 4:30 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

https://www.amazon.com/3-JAW-SELF-Centering-Lathe-Bottom-Adapter/dp/B0795YCBXW/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=cme+3+jaw+chuck&qid=1622669068&sr=8-12

This is the one I bought.  You need to order the correct size backing plate for your chuck.  My lathe has a 1-1/2-8 thread shaft.   I wanted to buy one that was predrilled and machined already so I had to pay a little more.  You can machine them from a blank and save $30-50.  Overall I'm satisfied with the CME chuck.  It seems to center well and has not had any issues.  It can handle almost 3" diameter before you have to flip the jaws and the jaws can do both OD and ID grip so it's pretty universal.   Machining on it is pretty tight with sharp corners and a good surface finish so I'm pretty pleased for <$200 with backing plate.  My lathe came with a 6" 4 jaw and a 3" 3 jaw.  So I feel like I can clamp just about anything that fits on the bed.

Now I just need a decent cheap quick change tool post.

Seems like we need a "Lathe Chat" thread where we post up tooling that we have had success with and reviews of our machines.  I know at least a few of us have the same 9" atlas/craftsman I have.   That would also stop us dropping lathe conversation on X71

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/2/21 6:36 p.m.
hobiercr said:

The nice thing about buying a used lathe is that you often get a lot of tooling with it. Of course, it will never be the tooling you need, but it will look impressive.

Well said. And very true.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/21 4:50 p.m.

I decided the ratchet strap wasn't gonna make it thru tech, so I reshaped the MGM tank straps for the new location

Also shown: one of my spring boosters
Not shown: I ran thru and swapped out a handful of mock-up suspension hardware for the real deal*

*real deal in this case means bulk grade5, fast thread, from Tractor Supply.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/21 5:43 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Dat ass doe

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
6/11/21 6:08 p.m.

Don't race cars have little baby fuel cells? Or are you planning to drive it to Gainesville without stopping for gas?

gumby
6/11/21 7:40 p.m.

This is the zero-budget option; baby fuel cells cost money, and so does the extra plumbing. Since this tank is designed to stand up, hopefully it won't have slosh issues with only 5gal inside.

nocones
6/11/21 9:04 p.m.
gumby said

*real deal in this case means bulk grade5, fast thread, from Tractor Supply.

In FSAE we called them SpeedNuts.

gumby
6/18/21 5:24 p.m.

CB cut apart the old MGM fuel line from the tank to the engine, remounted the filter in the stock location, and connected most of the dots. Once we toss some couplers at it, we should have a complete fuel system again.

I worked on mocking up the EPAS unit

nocones
6/18/21 6:21 p.m.

This car just has so much room for activities.  Looks great as usual.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/18/21 6:34 p.m.

Moar!

gumby
6/20/21 7:53 p.m.

After staring at the mock-up pics, I realized I had been ignoring an opportunity to make my life easier. I removed the clamped rest for the EPAS motor and rolled the column; completely inverted from the OE installation. This allowed for a simple clevis pointing straight down to the floor diagonal, instead of the crazy frame bracket I began to lay out initially, and retains the factory tilt function.

I started cutting out the upper support tab, and sent Mrs. gumby a text showing her the only boobs I was getting on Father's Day....

After fitting a new cross tube, I added the boob tab

A hybrid intermediate shaft was required to connect the EPAS to the rack

And you damn well better know what happened next

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/20/21 8:58 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Well Matt, its a good video, shows off what was completed, but I've gotta dock points cause I didn't hear any engine noises while he was steering.  Gonna give him a 7.5 out of 10

A brainfart that makes things easier is always nice.  How much help does the EPAS unit give you?

gumby
6/21/21 5:40 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

How much help does the EPAS unit give you?

I have a Saturn column in my truck with an adjustable eBay controller. I like it a lot.

This is a Prius column which, the internet tells me, will run in fail-safe mode without CANBUS input and provide an "adequate" assist level. I parking lot drove the Heideman's Falcon with a Prius column at an autoX event last year and it felt reasonable.

gumby
6/25/21 6:42 p.m.

CB flared and union'd our fuel line, then started laying out brake lines. I spent most of the day in front of the lathe turning scrap hex stock into adapter bushings and spacers.

For the 3rd link, at the axle

For the front lower shock mount

Relocating an FEAD idler

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/25/21 10:02 p.m.

Love those bushings!

Ain't having a lathe in the shop great?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/26/21 8:03 a.m.
03Panther said:

Love those bushings!

Ain't having a lathe in the shop great?

I need a similar solution, but no lathe, unfortunately. Mine will be "carved" with a flappy disc....wink

gumby
7/4/21 12:17 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/4/21 12:26 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Disappointed in the lack of turbo whistle and wastegate flutter. Otherwise, carry on. 

gumby
7/4/21 7:41 p.m.

More pedal pictures

I also received a special delivery. Now I can add some Funderbird to the party

nocones
7/4/21 8:16 p.m.

Can you take some pictures of how you made the hingie bits hingle on your pedals.  This way I can make my pedals at least equally as safe as yours.

gumby
7/5/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Nothing crazy here, just a spud thru the tube.

There will be nyloc nuts on the bolts in these pivot points; only tight enough to remove a majority of the slop without adding resistance to the pedal action.

Something more fancy like the solid bushing and sleeve arrangement of your suspension would work too(and likely desired if the pivot point were single shear), but I doubt the juice is worth the squeeze in this situation.

gumby
7/5/21 7:27 p.m.

Gah, looking at those pics on my desktop monitor reminds me that I am out of 0.045" rod. blush

Anyhow, bonus holiday(observed) = bonus progress!

Turned out a couple more spuds and sunk them into the rear chassis for attaching the MGM brake hoses

Also worked on the upper steering shaft and mount. First, the tab was removed from a tractor implement link repair joint and a ¾" bolt welded on instead. Not having the big circle track swap meet early this year has depleted my inventory a bit.

Then I bushed up the splined input of the EPAS and welded on one of the leftover u-joints from the Prius intermediate shaft. Also finish welded the new hybrid intermediate shaft while it was out of the car.

While that was cooling, I grabbed a chunk of leftover spline shaft which matches the leftover u-joint, turned one end down to fit inside a piece of ¾" tube, and added the steering wheel coupler to the opposite end of the tube.

For the grand finale, I took all these parts and stuck them to the car!

To end the day, I put up all my tools and swept the floor. Thanks to AC for reminding me that not being a berkeleying slob is a zero budget hit, as well as a morale booster!

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
7/5/21 7:35 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to gumby :

Disappointed in the lack of turbo whistle and wastegate flutter. Otherwise, carry on. 

A triple beef and bean burrito the night before would've added the appropriate sounds.

gumby
7/8/21 5:29 p.m.

Whoever decided we can't turn chicken E36 M3 into chicken salad never really tried, probably.

Almost there....

And, done.

Holy E36 M3 you made that scruffy old seat of mine awesome. 

Wow!!!!

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TG53msmU8BUZbRQMFmrqnbg342paoLt6FUZd7PZy1c230Xip2IShk0sZmRJrlh0Y