1 2 3 4
Saron81
Saron81 Reader
1/14/20 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Purple Frog :

THATS where I know that name from.... sounded familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it. They (QS) make reverse rotation Zetec water pumps among other things! 

Super cool build!!!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
1/15/20 1:13 p.m.

I learned a lot of very interesting things reading this. These are the most interesting (to me):

1) Someone can actually ONLY post up a project once it's finished (see also: someone actually finished a project!)

2) a 24'x36' garage is reasonable for ONE car

Purple Frog
Purple Frog New Reader
1/19/20 12:42 p.m.

Actually the 24 x 36 gets pretty crowded.  laugh   Usually for the pictures I moved some stuff outside.   There are a lot of projects going on, tools, grandkids toys, bikes,  golf carts, kayak stuff, etc.  Thinking the building needs an addition.  wink

I'm leaning towards a stacker to hold the VW as I build the next thing.

I love reading the build threads.  When i bought into this project it had kind of died on the vine for over 7 years.  I wasn't sure i could do any better.  Didn't want to start a thread and then fade off.  Then when it really got rolling, i just decided to wait and show it done.

Maybe the next one will be a public build thread.  Got an idea...  Smaller, lighter, more power, but still street legal.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
1/19/20 7:49 p.m.

I found making the build public motivates me to keep going.  Like I owe my audience something.

I love the car!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/19/20 10:31 p.m.

I want this car so bad.  Really amazing,  thanks for sharing!

Purple Frog
Purple Frog Reader
3/19/20 8:37 p.m.

First day of Spring Update.

The car is now street licensed and insured.   I drive it on Sundays, and in North Florida the weather has been perfect for a car with no A/C.   It is much closer to a purpose built race car than a daily driver.   A blast to drive.  Lets just say if you run over a dime on the pavement, you know it.

Since I have no speedometer, I just use a Garmin GPS on the windshield to know just how bad I'm breaking the law.

Figured out the gears (see chart).  But,  really not important, at about 110 the front gets scary light.   Would need a serious front splitter to go any faster.  The Raby dyno sheet sets the redline at 6500,   I use 6000 to be safe...

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
3/19/20 9:16 p.m.

Bravo sir. A far cry from my plans for my 73 but much love on the T4. Close enough 200hp from one is friggin sweet, even if it requires magic fuel. I bet it's an absolute hoot to mash the pedal and with all that suspension and rubber it'd probably be fun even with only half the power. 

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
5/30/20 8:47 a.m.

I am still lovin' this build.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/30/20 9:44 a.m.

Thank you!  Still lovin'  driving it.  smiley

Was hoping to do the big VW show in southern Tennessee May 2nd, but the virus killed that idea.

I have to laugh when i think of what a build thread would have been like for this project... Dozens and dozens of posts saying, "Oh E36 M3 ! how am i going to solve this new problem?"

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/30/20 9:46 a.m.

Lots of people only dream of doing something like this with a bug. Congrats on a fantastic car.  Something like this is well beyond my skills.

5/30/20 10:04 a.m.

Jimbob,  You might surprise yourself.  Start small.  Buy a welder when you are 25 and by the time you are 70 you may start getting the hang of it.  LOL

One thing i learned with this build, being that it had to be street legal as compared to previous off road builds:  Even the cheapest little modern compact car is a complex unit of design to fit all the needed working elements into the package.  I don't know how many evenings i sat staring at the chassis thinking, "where am i going to put the electric fuel pump?"

mkZero
mkZero None
5/30/20 5:02 p.m.

Wow, just wow! 

I joined GRM recently because I like the grass roots vibe... this is actually my first post on here.  What an amazing car, congrats to you sir! 

I was going to post a thread on my '55 beetle I've started autocrossing, but it seems so boring now lol. 

5/30/20 8:44 p.m.

In reply to mkZero :

Post that '55.  Every  build is a story to be told.

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
Y344bw0JwO46lTX6yvYgzpmiJl4zRPRhvl2zyBD4hZXy6utbr9LF4P6eOlAgQBFA