1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 129
rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
10/11/16 7:57 a.m.

Being that it still runs with no knocks, etc. and never stalled from a hydrolock, I'd say the chances are high that the motor can be saved and will live through the ordeal without any significant lasting effects.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/11/16 9:21 a.m.

It does smoke juuuuuust a bit. This is about two minutes of run time. Enough to inflate the airbags. Still sounds fine, no CEL. Time to get Fergus mobile, install a lift, and turn some wrenches.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
10/11/16 9:59 a.m.

As long as that's coolant smoke and not oil smoke, it likely doesn't indicate any damage.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/11/16 10:01 a.m.

Smells like coolant. The motor is coming out so I'll be asking a bunch of questions about what I see. Adventure!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
10/11/16 11:40 a.m.

So is that it? The decision has been made? MB lost at least one sale and we get to watch the show??

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/11/16 11:49 a.m.

I'm not firebomb levels of angry or anything, just disappointed in MB. Most of you saw this coming 1000 miles away so it's not a surprise.
I could pay them to fix it, but if I do that then I'll forever associate the van with letting MB treat me badly because I let them. Not something I want. I can fix it. I will fix it. It'll just take time. This is going to turn into a proper thread after all.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/11/16 11:59 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I'm not firebomb levels of angry or anything, just disappointed in MB. Most of you saw this coming 1000 miles away so it's not a surprise. I could pay them to fix it, but if I do that then I'll forever associate the van with letting MB treat me badly because I let them. Not something I want. I can fix it. I will fix it. It'll just take time. This is going to turn into a proper thread after all.

It's already is a proper thread.

If you want to do it even better, we're going to need fire. Or explosions. Or at least broken parts pictures.

I'm still trying to figure out how you are going to get head bolts out if they are busted off.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/11/16 12:01 p.m.

In theory just the head breaks off. You can pull the rest of the bolts and slide it over the broken one like a stud and then just unscrew it. I'll probably use vice grips on general principle.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/11/16 12:02 p.m.

Ah. I was thinking flush with the block .

Carry on.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/11/16 12:23 p.m.

The (re)build thread will only strengthen my mazdeuce man-crush.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
10/11/16 12:57 p.m.

Is there any way you could get the mods to re-title this thread as "R63 AMG The Unicorn of my Destruction of Any Lingering Belief by GRM Board Members that the Slogan 'The Best or Nothing' Ever Applies to Post-Warranty Customer Service"?

I suppose not. Well, M-B had its chance, & blew it. Their loss, in so many ways. Thank you for letting us watch as you bring this magnificent unicorn back to life.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/11/16 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel:

Hey, they lived up to that slogan - they gave him nothing.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
10/11/16 1:02 p.m.

While its high end german so there may be a few over compliated bits in the end its still a mechanical machine. A good manual and time im sure you can get it done!

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/11/16 1:02 p.m.

In for the "assembled by mazdeuce" plate at the end.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
10/11/16 3:08 p.m.

Mr. Culberson's logic is irrefutable. Clearly, my expectations are SO last-century, in thinking that the slogan represented an aspiration rather than an invitation to a roulette game in which you get a car that will go 250,000 miles if you land on a single-digit prime number. (Red, black, and green numbers are part of the Designo package that costs an extra $9499.)

Still, I can't help wondering what Herr Ing. Uhlenhaut or Herr Prof. Dr. Nallinger would say about this situation, if we could ask them.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/11/16 3:15 p.m.

The wife wanted a GLA, now it is at the bottom of the list.

So sad MB USA decided to not step up on an obvious manufacturing defect.

Hell even if they would have sold you the stuff at cost it would have been better than what they did.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/11/16 3:35 p.m.

I see a growing industry.
Do your R63 and learn then buy up cheap defunct R63s for pennies on the dollar.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/11/16 3:36 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I see a growing industry. Do your R63 and learn then buy up cheap defunct R63s for pennies on the dollar.

They only made 200.....there can't be that many defunct ones.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/11/16 3:45 p.m.

Same engine in other models as well.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/11/16 3:49 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: The wife wanted a GLA, now it is at the bottom of the list. So sad MB USA decided to not step up on an obvious manufacturing defect. Hell even if they would have sold you the stuff at cost it would have been better than what they did.

When it's all said and done they didn't actually DO anything. The didn't even OFFER to do anything. I had to confront them to get them to agree to only charge me list for parts if I had them fix it, because they WANTED to charge me way more than that. So I guess that's the disappointing thing. And maybe I had the wrong expectations about the company, I did buy a used car after all.
Now we all get to see the guts of a M156, which should be kind of cool. Four cams, eight cylinders, neat stuff.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/11/16 3:51 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I see a growing industry. Do your R63 and learn then buy up cheap defunct R63s for pennies on the dollar.

They did make more ML63's and CLS63's and S63's. In fact, the R63 should be the most difficult one to work on, after this they should be easy.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/11/16 4:04 p.m.

Did you ever stop to think that you invited this when you first came up with the thread tittle?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/11/16 4:06 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

He fessed up to that a few pages ago. ;-)

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
10/11/16 4:08 p.m.

Dude, call these guys Weistec shoot MB corporate a raspberry. We are rooting for you, you can do eet!!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/11/16 4:56 p.m.
06HHR wrote: Dude, call these guys Weistec shoot MB corporate a raspberry. We are rooting for you, you can do eet!!

There is at least one shop in Houston associated with them. Depending on what I find when I pull the heads that may be who I call.

And full disclosure, I'm still 'talking' to MB USA, but at this point it's more of me expressing my disappointment in their excellent reputation. Nobody feels special when the best deal is talking the dealer down from ripping you off to just giving you what would be considered honest business. So if MB suddenly decided to be cool and this thread gets lame, that would be fine, but I'm sorting through friends with loading docks to get the lift shipped, because that's my expectation.

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 129

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5ZNuOfIkrDDkUKleF5JQ23m7gKT2duP0g1EdF07pbZABD1wnO3k1tnZZIauvBBU7