1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 129
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/22/16 8:50 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Well, I do have an engineering degree, so I went through the basics of materials and statics and dynamics and what not, but past that I specialized in large explosions that reveal the structure of the earth and what a particular mountain is made of. I do understand what the words mean, and I accept your analysis as likely.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/22/16 8:59 a.m.

An out of spec insertion depth for the torx recess could possibly be the issue. When fasteners are tensile tested after manufacturing they should always break in the threaded portion, never at the head. If the head breaks off before the threads separate something is not in spec.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
12/22/16 9:20 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to Flight Service: Well, I do have and engineering degree, so I went through the basics of materials and statics and dynamics and what not, but past that I specialized in large explosions that reveal the structure of the earth and what a particular mountain is made of. I do understand what the words mean, and I accept your analysis as likely.

That job sounds awfully familiar. Only I was blowing up swamps. Job description was " Seismic Observer" same tittle in US?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/22/16 11:24 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Seismic Observer is the actual name for what we call a Bird Dog. I always worked with a Bird Dog, but I was actually field data acquisition quality controll. No reason to discover data problems after the data has shipped back to processing when you can hire some poor bastard to live in a hotel room and QC the data in real time before you move the spread. We also used vibe trucks 99% of the time, but we did get to blow up swamps, which was cool. Small world.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/22/16 11:26 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to Flight Service: Well, I do have and engineering degree, so I went through the basics of materials and statics and dynamics and what not, but past that I specialized in large explosions that reveal the structure of the earth and what a particular mountain is made of. I do understand what the words mean, and I accept your analysis as likely.

MattW
MattW New Reader
12/24/16 8:02 p.m.

Is this guy really pulling a $57K AMG motor apart in his garage?

Cause I'm pretty sure this guy is pulling a $57K AMG motor in his garage...

berkeley.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
12/24/16 8:17 p.m.

Easy there Matt, it aint rocket science.

E36 M3 goes up and down and around and around, it's all the same.

What's he gonna do with it, LS swap it?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/24/16 8:21 p.m.
MattW wrote: Is this guy really pulling a $57K AMG motor apart in his garage? Cause I'm pretty sure this guy is pulling a $57K AMG motor in his garage... berkeley.

Nay, this guy is pulling apart a $57k AMG motor in the Grosh. Totally different.

MattW
MattW New Reader
12/24/16 8:31 p.m.

Hey, I'm just impressed.

I do believe his testicular fortitude is bigger than mine. That's a big job on any car, much less on some unobtanium AMG piece.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/24/16 8:37 p.m.

In reply to MattW:

You're gaining a better understanding of what "Grassroots" means. It is a varying definition that does not just apply to $2,000 cars but rather a full spirit of "I can do this".

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/24/16 9:43 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
MattW wrote: Is this guy really pulling a $57K AMG motor apart in his garage? Cause I'm pretty sure this guy is pulling a $57K AMG motor in his garage... berkeley.
Nay, this guy is pulling apart a $57k AMG motor in the Grosh. Totally different.

Gotta love news kids.

wae
wae Dork
12/24/16 9:44 p.m.

No, he's not pulling a $57k AMG motor.

When he's all done, he'll be putting in a $57k AMG motor. But the motor he's pulling is probably more of a what? $20k motor? What's the going rate for a rebuildable core on one of those?

Hell, it's already broken. What's the worst that could happen!

Hal
Hal UltraDork
12/24/16 9:46 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:

@MattW: ECM forgot to give you the link to understand Grosh. Reading that thread will give you a better understanding of the willingness to work on a $57K AMG motor.

MattW
MattW New Reader
12/25/16 8:20 a.m.
Hal wrote:
EastCoastMojo wrote:
@MattW: ECM forgot to give you the link to understand Grosh. Reading that thread will give you a better understanding of the willingness to work on a $57K AMG motor.

Yeah, I just skimmed over that.

It kinda took the sheen off this thread cause I realized mazdeuce is just one of those guys that is good at freaking everything. Ha.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/25/16 10:00 a.m.

Mazdeuce is NOT good at everything. I swear and bleed and break stuff with alarming regularity. The more I do this the more I'm starting to think that the Nelsons and NOHOME and everyone else I should be mentioning curse and bleed and break stuff too. I bet the Suddards curse and bleed and break stuff as a family.
A couple of things about the motor. First, you can find junkyard motors quickly and easily for $8-9k. Around $6k if you hunt for them. And this one is broken, so it's worth less than that. Hopefully when it's fixed I'll be putting a $10k motor back in, but I pulled a $2k motor out.
Second, it really is just a motor. This is abundantly clear when you start looking at it. People kind of freak out because it's a high strung variable timing four cam V8. Except for the cam phasers (which are mechanically simple) nothing here is any more complicated than a Miata engine, except that it's two of them stuck together. Who here hasn't fantasized about Mazda or Honda mushing together two of their very good four cylinder engines? I actually get to play with the Mercedes version of that. It's cool. And all of the parts are still available new from Mercedes with the exception of a very few pieces none of which are needed. Take it apart. Order new parts. Put it back together. Just like a small block Chevy.
And lastly, and I really don't want to be the "it's just money" douchebag because my wife is the breadwinner here and having to tell her that I just blew up a significant part of a year of her crappy commute and phone calls from the rig at night and incredibly hard work really really sucks. Buuuuut..... I kind of had an epiphany when I was standing around drinking coffee staring at the R63, I realized that even if everything goes wrong and rods are bent and the motor is junk and I can't get things back together and I decide to sell it for pennies on the dollar.....I'll survive. It'll suck and I'll spend the next 60 years having my wife question every automotive purchase I make by saying "remember the van!" In fact, my greatest motivation here might be to fix the R63 so that when I want to buy a BiTurbo I can say "it can't be any harder than the van was".

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/25/16 4:06 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote In fact, my greatest motivation here might be to fix the R63 so that when I want to buy a BiTurbo I can say "it can't be any harder than the van was".

Wait till you adjust the valves.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/16 5:16 p.m.

Mazdeuce knows the best way to learn things is to do them and pay attention to what you're doing.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/25/16 6:01 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
mazdeuce wrote In fact, my greatest motivation here might be to fix the R63 so that when I want to buy a BiTurbo I can say "it can't be any harder than the van was".

Shhhhhhh...... plausible deniability.....

m4ff3w
12/25/16 6:29 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
m4ff3w wrote:
Shhhhhhh...... plausible deniability.....

You can do it.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
12/27/16 6:32 a.m.

Don't buy a Bi-turbo, just don't....

It was made poorly a long time ago, and time didn't help.

No you can't have mine!!  I did finally find how all the water was getting into the trunk, did I mention they were made poorly by a bunch of old Italians that thought the company was going out of business...

Maybe next spring the drive shaft won't make noise and the gear shift won't rattle and the DCNF carb will finally work properly, but then something else will go wrong, after all it is a high mileage car.  It has just over 40,000 miles and I don't think they planned for them to go that far...

If you are foolish enough to check the valve lash, think long and hard about actually adjusting the valves.  When you are done, it still might not be perfect anyhow...   Save the time and effort, after all  there are other things that will fail, the clutch pedal will break, and if the turn signal fuse blows the engine will die.
bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
12/27/16 8:20 a.m.

Wow! teach me that formatting trick!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/16 8:47 a.m.
TED_fiestaHP wrote: Don't buy a Bi-turbo, just don't.... It was made poorly a long time ago, and time didn't help. No you can't have mine!! I did finally find how all the water was getting into the trunk, did I mention they were made poorly by a bunch of old Italians that thought the company was going out of business... Maybe next spring the drive shaft won't make noise and the gear shift won't rattle and the DCNF carb will finally work properly, but then something else will go wrong, after all it is a high mileage car. It has just over 40,000 miles and I don't think they planned for them to go that far... If you are foolish enough to check the valve lash, think long and hard about actually adjusting the valves. When you are done, it still might not be perfect anyhow... Save the time and effort, after all there are other things that will fail, the clutch pedal will break, and if the turn signal fuse blows the engine will die.

Just wanted to make that a little easier for mobile readers.

m4ff3w
12/27/16 11:56 a.m.
TED_fiestaHP wrote: Don't buy a Bi-turbo, just don't.... It was made poorly a long time ago, and time didn't help. No you can't have mine!! I did finally find how all the water was getting into the trunk, did I mention they were made poorly by a bunch of old Italians that thought the company was going out of business... Maybe next spring the drive shaft won't make noise and the gear shift won't rattle and the DCNF carb will finally work properly, but then something else will go wrong, after all it is a high mileage car. It has just over 40,000 miles and I don't think they planned for them to go that far... If you are foolish enough to check the valve lash, think long and hard about actually adjusting the valves. When you are done, it still might not be perfect anyhow... Save the time and effort, after all there are other things that will fail, the clutch pedal will break, and if the turn signal fuse blows the engine will die.

I should have just put mine back together without the lash being "perfect" but that one damned cylinder and lived with it.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/27/16 12:18 p.m.

In reply to TED_fiestaHP:

Don't put spaces at the beginning of your paragraphs. At least don't do 4 or more spaces.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
12/27/16 12:24 p.m.

One of us should start a Bi-turbo thread. Some days I wonder why I have it, but it is such a true Italian classic. Wonder just how many problems your supposed to typically have with one of these.

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 129

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MIsLpHe83F4ite2teTZWOi5zoJNeXdlCaZ1s10lRD4H2oQ2231Yqy1Smhzv5NCUp