1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 129
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
2/21/17 12:37 p.m.

Trophy Kart Vid

After watching this video, my pants are, how do you say, the snug? Seems to be mostly a west coast thing, so I feel less bad for never having heard of this before.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/21/17 12:43 p.m.

The trophy kart. It's cool. So cool that I should derail my own thread to talk about how cool it is. The deal was that it wasn't running, everyone at the Rally Ranch is busy teaching classes and fixing cars and getting ready for the upcoming RallySprint, and nobody had time to figure it out. I spent about three hours getting it mostly sorted. It still needs a new air filter and some carb sorting on the top end, but I drove it around for about half an hour.
This one has an equipment clone motor of some sort with upgraded exhaust and carb giving it a claimed 12.5hp. It feels almost exactly like a rental kart at a place where the karts are fast enough that you have to brake, but slow enough that you're never worried about hurting yourself. If you've ever thought "this kart track would be cooler with some sweet jumps" then you're on the right page. They're just fun.
They also make one with a 40hp 450cc single that is the equivalent of a shifter kart that wants you to die. I haven't driven one of those yet but I've been assured that if you don't have a close relationship with God before you get in, you will by the time you get out.
I'll take more pictures next weekend. Steering and suspension and the frame/cage. Well built. Good stuff.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/21/17 12:59 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I'm going to need pics of the MS3. For science...

Also TrophyKarts are cool.

AmySanders
AmySanders New Reader
2/21/17 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Cybercable:

Thanks for the props! I am the lady with the family of penguins (Ha,I love that!). My brothers have burned up two engines on cars and one motorcycle because they forgot to put oil into them. Big duh. The other put cold water into an overheated engine and cracked the head. I did that repair and got a really cool backpack fish pole out of it :D. I learned the hard way to do almost all repairs myself. Back before the internet in the rural area I was living in, there was only the guys at the parts store, the old guys at the feed store and the mechanic at the gas station to ask for help. They used to laugh at the gal with the diamond watch working on cars in the driveway. Good times.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/21/17 4:31 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The trophy kart. It's cool. So cool that I should derail my own thread to talk about how cool it is. The deal was that it wasn't running, everyone at the Rally Ranch is busy teaching classes and fixing cars and getting ready for the upcoming RallySprint, and nobody had time to figure it out. I spent about three hours getting it mostly sorted. It still needs a new air filter and some carb sorting on the top end, but I drove it around for about half an hour. This one has an equipment clone motor of some sort with upgraded exhaust and carb giving it a claimed 12.5hp. It feels almost exactly like a rental kart at a place where the karts are fast enough that you have to brake, but slow enough that you're never worried about hurting yourself. If you've ever thought "this kart track would be cooler with some sweet jumps" then you're on the right page. They're just fun. They also make one with a 40hp 450cc single that is the equivalent of a shifter kart that wants you to die. I haven't driven one of those yet but I've been assured that if you don't have a close relationship with God before you get in, you will by the time you get out. I'll take more pictures next weekend. Steering and suspension and the frame/cage. Well built. Good stuff.

Well I guess I'm safe for now because I searched quite a few craigslist locations and didn't find a used 40hp trophy kart.....I even tried Vegas. So any idea what a well used 40hp trophy kart generally goes for?

edit....nevermind. I finally found some. Looks like 10k gets a decent one.

mattwalters
mattwalters
2/24/17 1:12 a.m.

This is epic. Mazdeuce, I salute you (and subscribe to this thread).

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
2/24/17 8:01 a.m.

Your buddy Pete (can't remember his screenname) was on slipangle talking about autocrossing the ef hatch and mentions the r63 http://shoutengine.com/SlipAnglebytracktunedcom/the-rookie-pete-lindberg-31868

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/24/17 8:37 a.m.

In reply to mattwalters:

Thanks, hopefully I get back to actual work soon. Family stuff/other projects/waiting on parts has slowed things to a crawl, and looking at the calendar things are about to get worse for the next month. We'll see how things progress.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/24/17 8:41 a.m.

In reply to minivan_racer:

Pete (spacecadet) is the best and worst type of friend.
"You should at least try to fix the insight battery."
Yes Pete, that's a good idea.
"And if it doesn't work...K-swap!"
That's a terrible idea Pete.
"Come autocross the Civic with me."
Thanks Pete, I appreciate the generosity.
"And there's this sweet Maybach 57 on Craigslist."
No Pete! Just no.

NavyNGLO
NavyNGLO
2/28/17 9:08 a.m.

Just recently joined so I am able to post. Mazdeuce, you are a true Renaissance man. I am totally impressed with your ability and logical approach. I tried to start small with a two wheel project, but mama said h-ll no! Your not cluttering up my garage. Besides, the time I would be sitting around while you putter. In any case, my non- oily and greasy hat is off to you. Ran across an article on a V16 engine. I suspect your engine bay would be too small, but a 900+ hp engine in your MB would leave really shock the sports car drivers!

NavyNGLO
NavyNGLO New Reader
2/28/17 9:09 a.m.

Forgot the link. My bad http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/new-14-liter-v16-ls-based-marine-engine-unveiled/

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/28/17 9:35 a.m.

In reply to NavyNGLO:

Someday I want to build a car from scratch. A grand tourer in the style of the great brass era cars, but with modern power and brakes. Engine Shopping for that will be fun.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/28/17 9:44 a.m.

Someone asked about the Speed3 ex-Grand Am car. Well, it was a very busy weekend so I forgot to snap shots until late on Sunday. I need to crawl around to really get the details. It's very well built. Also a few more pictures of the Trophy Kart. Been working on other projects and spring cleaning while I wait for parts, except for today where I'm laying around desperately trying not to vomit any more. Since being ill is pretty much 'free time' I decided to check and see where the sealant and cleaner and stuff was. I ordered it a while ago, right? Wrong, the web page is still up saying that I need to hit the submit button. Awesome.

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
2/28/17 10:02 a.m.

get well soon

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/28/17 3:30 p.m.

In reply to minivan_racer:

That would be me!

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
2/28/17 4:22 p.m.

That trophy kart looks amazingly close to our SAE Baja, minus the independent rear suspension. That thing was a hoot with the 10hp Briggs, and then some loon decided to put a bike engine in it

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/28/17 9:37 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: "And there's this sweet Maybach 57 on Craigslist." No Pete! Just no.

I think we all need to see this Craigslist Maybach.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
3/1/17 5:51 a.m.

It was on eBay, sorry.
Maybach 57
But the point still stands. And he had me defending the motor within five minutes because Cotton has two of them and he's doing fine.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/1/17 7:49 a.m.

"Lake Norman Imports"? I wonder what NASCAR-related entity formerly owned this?

ggrjr
ggrjr New Reader
3/2/17 10:46 a.m.
sleepyhead wrote: "Lake Norman Imports"? I wonder what NASCAR-related entity formerly owned this?

Actually shows NY and IL. This dealer bought from Auction. Most of NASCAR folks don't go for the high end Euro cars, especially around the lake. Have to keep up appearances for MFGs. Of course it is not uncommon to see hot new cars, well before they are released to public. Think new Raptor, ZL1 Camaro, Boss Mustang or Kyle Bush getting busted for 128 in Lexus LFA. I saw all of these cars on the road around Mooresville several months before they were available in showrooms.

Galane
Galane New Reader
3/5/17 1:57 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to NavyNGLO: Someday I want to build a car from scratch. A grand tourer in the style of the great brass era cars, but with modern power and brakes. Engine Shopping for that will be fun.

Trek down to Mexico and find a Mercedes Benz Sprinter E. E for Especial. It's a stretched version of the Sprinter with a V12 engine. There's your donor drivetrain.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/5/17 6:18 a.m.

In reply to Galane:

While an enticing idea, I shudder to think what condition a M-B V12 would be in by the time the van in Mexico would be ready to sell for cheap.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/5/17 6:56 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

But maybe he'll find enough hidden drugs to zero it out.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/5/17 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Galane:

S600 and CL600 are cheap here.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
3/5/17 8:57 a.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to Ian F: But maybe he'll find enough hidden drugs to zero it out.

On a related note, the smuggling capacity of the first gen Insight is insane. There is this big aluminum bulkhead behind the seats and the majority of that is empty space. It's probably telling that the first thing I thought about when I took it apart is the smuggling possibilities.

The V12 Mercedes is high on my list for engines for a homebuilt car.

1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 129

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
57THId3eJuBiNgQmr5A6V7OrFoiszNq9zBLIuuczpphrXd5ib8oX77XkxlF2NHEA