1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 129
mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/16/17 4:33 p.m.

If I had my way I'd buy a second one. Pour a slab and install it under a cheap carport. Use it for day jobs like brakes and tires and for dirty stuff like cutting and welding and hosing off the bottom of a rallycross car. Some jobs are easier to clean up after if you're already outside. The lift I have is likely to be the "project lift" and I like it so much that I want another one.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
5/16/17 4:42 p.m.

As I get older, the lift looks better and better.....

After watching that engine shimmy itself back in its burrow, I'm sure you will conclude replacing every seal you could reach was one of the finest ideas you ever had.

Keep the quality high. Don't rush to completion now. Think about the long play.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/17 4:43 p.m.

Full height 2-post lift for the current spot and move the MaxJax to the carport?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/16/17 4:49 p.m.

I am happy about all the things I replaced. If everything works I'll be even happier. I admit that I'm a little paranoid about the intake. I know I CAN get it off, but I'm not looking forward to that possibility at all. I'm sure I'll think it work it to have spent the money on a new one if I need to fix something.

The work bay isn't wide enough, nor do I currently have the 220v necessary for a proper big lift. The real advantage of a big lift would be working on big trucks. If I limit myself to cars the Maxjax is plenty.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/16/17 6:30 p.m.

Me being an old FART(did I mention it's my B'day? 64)....I would prefer the big boy lift for when I do the clutch on the '91 chevy PU....standing up fighting the tranny back onto to the bell housing pins

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/16/17 7:02 p.m.

Just think, 221 days ago you experienced a lot of firsts.

mazdeuce wrote: As I sit here waiting for the tow truck it occurs to me that there are a lot of firsts going on. This is my first tow. I've never had a vehichicle that couldn't make it to where it could be fixed. My first significant mechanical engine failure. I'm still hoping it ends up being minor, but we'll see. My first Mercedes.

And now, possibly within two weeks, you can add your first Mercedes AMG rebuild to the list.

lesanderson
lesanderson
5/16/17 9:59 p.m.

Another new member chiming in that this great stuff. I started reading a week ago, and in some ways it is awesome the story is still unfolding and in others it is like binging on a great tv series and not having the finale recorded!

Best of luck, please post a YouTube video when you fire her up!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/17/17 6:05 a.m.

In reply to lesanderson:

Thanks for reading along. You don't even know how much I hope this thread turns back into one about a boring ownership experience.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/17/17 6:48 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: If I had my way I'd buy a second one. Pour a slab and install it under a cheap carport. Use it for day jobs like brakes and tires and for dirty stuff like cutting and welding and hosing off the bottom of a rallycross car. Some jobs are easier to clean up after if you're already outside. The lift I have is likely to be the "project lift" and I like it so much that I want another one.

Basil is selling one for $1400 in Houston over in the Open Classifieds...

IrishMike
IrishMike New Reader
5/17/17 6:53 a.m.

Not trying to get into personal info, but are you going to do a final accounting compared to what the dealer wanted for the repair? Great job, you're too modest for the amount of work you've accomplished....

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/17/17 7:53 a.m.

In reply to IrishMike:

I will do an accounting of this. I'm a little superstitious about trying to identify an "end point" until things work out. In the back of my mind I'm just a bit terrified that I'm going to have to use my rolling engine dolly again.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/17/17 7:55 a.m.

MazD the final tally would be a great read...one with job specific tools/manual and one without? OK I'm guessing $5k with and $4k without...... close?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/17/17 7:56 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Not a perfect time for me to buy, but I did pass that along to a couple of friends. Maybe I'll get to install another one yet! Muchas gracias.

going_west
going_west New Reader
5/17/17 9:04 a.m.

In reply to hhaase:

My wife said the same thing, don't go cheap. I'm between the Danmar MaxJack and the Bendpak XD-9SLP (lp in case I ever get a low sports car - she wants a little convertible). Good luck with yours someday.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/17 9:16 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to IrishMike: I will do an accounting of this. I'm a little superstitious about trying to identify an "end point" until things work out. In the back of my mind I'm just a bit terrified that I'm going to have to use my rolling engine dolly again.

I've built or rebuilt probably a hundred engines (I used to do it for a living) and I still get apprehensive during the installation time. I was going to assure you that that's normal but thinking about it, that fact that I do it really doesn't mean that it's normal and, in fact, may imply the opposite. It only means that you're not alone. In any case, from what I've seen of your work it'll be fine.

tgc328i
tgc328i New Reader
5/17/17 10:08 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: IMO Mercedes should fly Guido over with a new nameplate to attach to the engine giving you credit for the rebuild. Guido can then hold the video camera when you push the start button and the engine roars back to life. Sending positive vibes for a happy ending to this project. I remember the anticipation and excitement of the first start on my first rebuild of a TR-3 engine more than 50 years ago as if it were yesterday. It never gets old, thanks for sharing your project with us and best of luck for successful completion.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/17/17 12:00 p.m.

Fewer pictures from this morning. I was just in a groove and kept rolling.
The fluids are theoretically fluid tight. We'll see if that holds. Coolers for every fluid in the car aside from brake fluid (very disappointing Mercedes) including a cooler AND and warmer for the oil. All the radiator support bits back on, shrouds, fans, all of it. Everything in the engine bay is hooked up, steering, vacuum lines, didn't hook the main harness in because it uses some big zip ties that I need to get tomorrow when it get the many many gallons of fluids that this car holds. After today this week is heavy on dad stuff, so I'm going to head back out after lunch and try to get some of the under car bits on.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/17/17 12:05 p.m.

Woo hoo progress

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/17 12:30 p.m.

Oh boy.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/17/17 12:56 p.m.

Wow amazing work. Sorry to hear all the trouble you went through. Makes the work I had to have done to my much less rare benz seem trivial.

I too like the dealer experience and people are very nice, I have found some independent mechanics who also give me loaners and do better priced/solid work tho.

I thought my 7k in the last year for my E350 Bluetec was bad. Oil Cooler seals (known issue) (2k) and I believe a misdiagnosed oil pan leak+rear main seal (3k) and a dead fan which killed the battery because the PCM kept saying it would overheat and turned down the alternator. But I still love the car, kind of scares me a bit now waiting if something else is going to explode.

Do you feel that way about this beast now that its going back together? Are you lifelong committed or more likely to cut and run once fixed?

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
5/17/17 2:26 p.m.

Excited to see what happens next.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/17/17 2:37 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Do you feel that way about this beast now that its going back together? Are you lifelong committed or more likely to cut and run once fixed?

It's hard to say that I'll still own it in 20 years, but I do plan to keep it around a while. Each of the kids has asked if it will be fixed in time to drive up north this summer. They were bummed when I said we were taking the truck. The R is a great car, and when it works it's perfect for my family. As I put it back together I worry less and less about future repairs. Not that I want to pull the motor again, because I don't, but I've taken the bulk of the mechanical bits apart now, I know how to get to things. Nothing is impossible, it just takes time, and the lift helps with that a LOT.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/17/17 2:47 p.m.

If there is one problem with the lift, it's that I don't have a creeper. There are two heights where you slide in the safety bars. I like to work with the safety bars. At the lower setting the bottom of the R is juuuuuust out of reach laying on my back. It's quite the ab workout.
Put the driveshaft and all of the cross braces back on. The the heat shielding and the exhaust. Still need to tighten the exhaust clamps. Kid retrieval alarm went off.
I think I just need a couple of big zip ties to reattach a couple of cable holders in front and then I can put the wheels back on, set it on the ground, and figure out that battery nonsense.

honda1
honda1 New Reader
5/17/17 2:54 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Awesome. Nice pic with V-wagon peeking out.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
5/17/17 3:07 p.m.

What about putting it at the taller height and using a rolling chair?

1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 129

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
be9JVxvJJCPGlsVna41wCQVKVJmDdCbaqHGMwIq7C9KsP6Co2pvmwbkdKtGNunTZ