1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 129
codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/17 3:38 p.m.

Looks like a standard enormous German battery.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/18/17 3:55 p.m.
ElGuapo wrote:

This!

IrishMike
IrishMike New Reader
5/19/17 6:49 a.m.

FWIW, I used the old standard (for me) Die hard in my E500 with great results....

Nash
Nash New Reader
5/19/17 7:08 a.m.

It took me a few busy days to get caught up reading this but I'm pumped! I think it should go up north and do proper family things but I completely understand.

You are doing a spectacular job and it's inspiring to everyone here to see it finally coming together!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/19/17 7:44 a.m.

I've been going over the list in my head all night. I need to hook up the main wiring harness, procure and install a new battery, source a vacuum pump for the AC, get the proper power steering fluid, and then fill oil, coolant, PS, and AC. Then I push the start button!
Hopefully I can drag the kids to Harbor Freight and the MB dealer and the parts store tomorrow. I'm at least as excited as you guys are.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/19/17 7:44 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: (have we talked about how much I hate lug bolts?)

I believe the last time we talked about wheel bolts, it was mentioned how much easier one of these makes dealing with them.

Wheel Hanger

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/19/17 7:46 a.m.

Yup, still haven't bought one. Now you know what I want as a stocking stuffer this year.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/19/17 8:34 a.m.

Hey MazD, I saw your other thread sourcing vac pumps. Are you evacuating A/C to a storage type thingy or are you ......err oh nevermind. So close....who gets to ride inaugural 'shotgun' ?

Hotspur
Hotspur New Reader
5/19/17 8:41 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Yup, still haven't bought one. Now you know what I want as a stocking stuffer this year.

Get two, it's much easier to align than with just one.

My Dad and I each picked up a pair shortly after buying BMWs. Money well spent!

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
5/19/17 9:01 a.m.

I would tend to say make sure it runs before you put any time / effort into the A/C. Especially considering it has to run to charge the system...

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/19/17 9:10 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: Hey MazD, I saw your other thread sourcing vac pumps. Are you evacuating A/C to a storage type thingy or are you ......err oh nevermind. So close....who gets to ride inaugural 'shotgun' ?

hopefully deucewife if he ever wants another ride..... (sorry deucewife)

grover
5/19/17 9:10 a.m.
rslifkin wrote: I would tend to say make sure it runs before you put any time / effort into the A/C. Especially considering it has to run to charge the system...

probably so integrated it's easier at this point.

grover
5/19/17 9:11 a.m.

That battery looks like standard issue gigantic german battery to me. I had one that looked just like that in my a6

Nash
Nash New Reader
5/19/17 9:41 a.m.

Maz, Benz has changed their coolant colors and whatnot a lot over the years I remember a very in depth conversation with the dealer when I had my clk, transmission fluid on the other hand I very specifically use Benz oem fluid.

But for the coolant use ZEREX G-05 it's phosphorus oat coolant if I recall specific for German aluminum mumbo jumbo. Good stuff though! Make sure and use demineralized/distilled water to dilute it! I'm up north but I like 60/40 gives a little better protection. Anything over 70/30 is too strong for the system though.

Used it again with our BMW x5 with good results as well.

Anyways most parts stores have it and it's non glycol and meets Benz spec.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
5/19/17 10:06 a.m.
Nash wrote: ZEREX G-05 it's phosphorus oat coolant Anyways most parts stores have it and it's non glycol and meets Benz spec.

It's still ethylene glycol based. Just different other stuff added. It's considered HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology), not a full OAT like dex-cool and some others (and not a full inorganic acid tech coolant like the old school green stuff).

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
5/19/17 12:37 p.m.

So close!

related; this popped up at the local(ish) pyp

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
5/19/17 2:01 p.m.

In reply to DuctTape&Bondo:

Wow - I never see anything that new at the local pick n pull.

Anxiously awaiting news from the start button! Thank you Mazdeuce for taking us on the journey.

2002Squarie
2002Squarie
5/19/17 2:51 p.m.
oldtin wrote: ... Thank you Mazdeuce for taking us on the journey.

mazdeuce, new reader since about page 60. oldtin said it perfectly, took the words right out of my mouth. What an incredible journey. Looking forward to the start button. You are going to video it? The tension is palpable. I'm sure someone has mentioned live streaming the event but that would raise the anxiety level an ungodly amount. Anyway, good luck on the start button and thank you again!

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
5/19/17 3:49 p.m.

In reply to DuctTape&Bondo:

That looks like a phenomenal engine donor...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/19/17 4:53 p.m.

If that has the split middle seat there are probably a couple of plastic interior bits I'd like to grab. I need to start watching my local lots.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
5/19/17 5:34 p.m.

Those guys don't want to part that out. They'll be selling that off as a salvage title to a body shop.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/19/17 6:19 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

That particular yard has (had?) a "late model" section with higher prices. May have changed in the last 15+ years since I was there last.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
5/19/17 6:37 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: Those guys don't want to part that out. They'll be selling that off as a salvage title to a body shop.

It's already in the yard. Regular entry $3 plus $2 to access the Primo yard (newer/premium/classics)

New Inventory, Price lists, etc...

mazdeuce wrote: If that has the split middle seat there are probably a couple of plastic interior bits I'd like to grab. I need to start watching my local lots.

The additional pics don't show much of the interior other than the dash.

If I decide to make a JY run I'll let you know (or if you really need something, I'll make the trip)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/19/17 7:56 p.m.

Nothing critical or worth making a trip for really. One piece of plastic is missing off the back of one of the seats. I could probably freshen up a couple other parts of the cabin with some poking around, but again, completely not necessary. I'll wander across one eventually.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/20/17 2:39 p.m.

Fluids, battery, vacuum pump. Back to work.

1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 129
Our Preferred Partners
HjYKLxU1q9zmnO3tT2WjiuYIPzL2A85fsvixGY0BCrmt1mdMICH0INHr8Urt3Zsz