1 2 3
VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
3/2/15 2:31 p.m.

Hey, that's great battery life. None of our old laptops have enough power to unplug them at all!

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/15 3:09 p.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: Hey, that's great battery life. None of our old laptops have enough power to unplug them at all!

haha yes. and I think it is much improved after I got rid of all the junk programs. Used to be that the computer was so slow that by the time you got booted up and IE opened, the battery was dead.

I guess computers can respond well to 'tune ups' like cars can.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/2/15 5:14 p.m.

Came over here after your link to have look. Nice work so far! Looks like you need about a million more candle power in there though. Any plans in the future to paint the cabinets a lighter color to reflect more light and maybe spray the ceiling to get some reflective light off there also?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/15 8:23 a.m.
t25torx wrote: Came over here after your link to have look. Nice work so far! Looks like you need about a million more candle power in there though. Any plans in the future to paint the cabinets a lighter color to reflect more light and maybe spray the ceiling to get some reflective light off there also?

Yes, I need more light. Its actually not as bad working in there as the pictures make it look, but it does need more light. Paint would also really help, but I am so sick of painting after doing my whole house after moving in that I will probably skip it for now. People before us actually painted the inside of every closet pink. So I had to fix that, and all the built in shelves that were painted too. I swear it takes 2x as long to paint the closet than it does an entire room.

I have another long tube fluorescent fixture from my basement I will mount over the bench behind the MG to start with. I also usually have lots of task-based lighting, but that can become a pain to keep moving it around with me.

I guess there are two light bulb sockets that currently have 100w equivalent fluorescent 'swirl' bulbs, but they are kinda crappy - so maybe some high quality LEDs are in my future for those spots.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/3/15 9:04 a.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

I hear that! I hate painting with a roller, so my wife does the inside painting. Basically, if I can't spray it, then I'm not doing it.

Forgot to say earlier, love the MG. Chrome bumpers, Mini-lights, that's the way one is supposed to look.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/15 12:49 p.m.

Long time, no updates...

Popped up a quick roof over the dog run next to the garage yesterday. I also ordered steel siding/roofing that I will cover this roof with and the sides. Goal is to have a shed that is protected from the elements using the existing dog run space. It already has a concrete floor, so rolling my stuff in and out should be pretty easy! Its about 3.5 feet wide and 18 feet long, so I'll be adding about 60 sqft of floor space for garden tools and less-used garage tools. Not to mention all the extra wall space to hang stuff!

Looks like my total cost of materials (wood for the roof, steel siding) will be about $300-$350.

rcutclif
7/3/15 8:49 p.m.

Got the steel panels in and got the roof on today.

I had some vinyl trim hanging around from doing the windows last year, so I put that up. I will wait to do the stuff above the door until I get the door done.

I have white steel panels to cover the chain link, should get those up soon!

rcutclif
7/9/15 1:44 p.m.

Sides and door added, now all that needs to be done is little trim caps for the wood on both ends, and I think I will get a big inner tube and cut it up to 'seal' the hinge side of the door to the wall. I will also take a flap of rubber to keep the weather off of my lock. Overall, I think the shed turned out pretty good. It will be a great place to keep garden tools and less used stuff.

Finally, I pressure washed the inside and the concrete next to the shed. Now I need to pressure wash the rest of the concrete... grrr.

Durty
Durty New Reader
7/11/15 7:25 p.m.

Awesome progress, I wasn't sure how the tire banners were going to turn out, but I really like the ones cut to the cabinets. I think the dunlop one is more fun than the firestone one, but I like them both.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the mini-tutorials along the way with tips for stuff like hanging cabinets with the leveled piece of scrap.

rcutclif
7/12/15 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Durty:

Thanks for the note, glad that you like it. Hope you can use some of the ideas! (Ideas that I probably stole off of somebody else's build thread)

rcutclif
7/12/15 8:07 p.m.

Had a couple old posts I had been using as sign posts years back, I think they were originally from a table or something. Screwed them to a dolly to make a sweet tire storage device.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/15 7:08 a.m.

Stealing that idea...as well as the wall storage one elsewhere on this site :)

rcutclif wrote: Had a couple old posts I had been using as sign posts years back, I think they were originally from a table or something. Screwed them to a dolly to make a sweet tire storage device.
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/15 11:32 a.m.

Long time no updates. Yesterday I built a tire wall rack to hold some tires up off the ground inside the shed.

Start by finding a metal bar in your garage about 4 ft long and drilling a couple holes the diamater of the bar into a couple pieces of scrap 2x4.

Next hang the 2x4s to the rafter joists of your shed using big bolts (single shear is not great, but I think it will work).

Finally, slide bar into place. You now have a tire rack that swings out of the way with no tires on it. Friction between the tires and the wall and the bar seem to keep the whole thing in place pretty well. Plus, I am only storing other tires below this so even if it all comes crashing down I hope not too much issue. Woohoo!

RedGT
RedGT Reader
12/4/15 3:07 p.m.

I like your propensity to stick wheels under things. Having just removed an entire wall of shelving to allow winter storage of a car in my 2-bay garage with only one small door, I need to replace some of it with shelves/cabinets I can roll out of the way twice a year. Good inspiration here.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/15 4:16 p.m.
RedGT wrote: I like your propensity to stick wheels under things. Having just removed an entire wall of shelving to allow winter storage of a car in my 2-bay garage with only one small door, I need to replace some of it with shelves/cabinets I can roll out of the way twice a year. Good inspiration here.

I was just at Harbor freight and they had a sale on their smallest caster wheels (1 5/8th i think). 99 cents each. I bought all the rest they had in stock.

Love being able to roll stuff around.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PPQuqy2qH8Oj7GREFp9RqCPmqD4Pmy2Obx7HxRggKBC88YQOII9uC8kIjjNYVSwK