1 2 3 4 5 6
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/22 10:08 p.m.
TT86 said:

Love this! I know nothing about this car, but is it ECU controlled in any way?

Thanks! And yes - x1/9s after 1980 or so were ecu controlled fuel injection from the factory. 

This one was built that way, but it has also been converted long ago by previous owners to an aftermarket standalone fuel injection and ignition timing engine control computer. So theoretically now it has a "better" ecu.

TT86
TT86 New Reader
1/19/22 7:34 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
TT86 said:

Love this! I know nothing about this car, but is it ECU controlled in any way?

Thanks! And yes - x1/9s after 1980 or so were ecu controlled fuel injection from the factory. 

This one was built that way, but it has also been converted long ago by previous owners to an aftermarket standalone fuel injection and ignition timing engine control computer. So theoretically now it has a "better" ecu.

Fantastic. Thank you for the information. I would love to know what fuel injection, and ignition control, it is using. 

I am currently debating converting my 4AGE to carbs, or using a later model ITB system that retains fuel injection, but requires an aftermarket computer. The old-school head in me is screaming to go carbs for obvious reasons. :) 

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
1/19/22 9:21 a.m.

That is a fascinating intake setup.  At first, I saw only the DCNFs and thought that you had a carb setup.  The way FIAT did the fuel rails on these always bothered me, but apparently it was their best plan for fitting injection to a late '60s engine design.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/19/22 3:07 p.m.

The intake is a pretty neat setup. It was devised around scca solo street prepared rules, which basically say you can run any induction and exhaust, but everything inside the head and block must remain stock. The story from the prior owner was they wanted the throttle bodies and intake runners from the DCNF setup, but they also wanted fuel injecton and they stuck with the factory injectors. So they had the injector bungs welded into the DCNF manifolds.

The current computer is an Electromotive TEC 1, which would have been near state of the art in the 90s when it was installed. Now of course it is a bit out of date. I may swap to a microsquirt or similar, not sure yet.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/22/22 4:32 p.m.

So, they are sorta like compression fittings, but I don't think you need the outer brass things at all (maybe if you were blowing them off under boost or something).

For now, I just replaced the vac lines and left the brass keepers off.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/22/22 7:05 p.m.

Well, tracking says my injectors made it to marren in CT today! Can't wait to get them back and see what happens.

In preparation, I am replacing all fuel lines. These held up well for probably 40 years, but it's time for new. No better time than when you've already got it apart.

Edit, apparently the fuel filter is from a 1993ish dodge caravan. I'll probably just stick with that (a fresh replacement though) since it works.

Russ McBride
Russ McBride New Reader
1/23/22 9:50 a.m.

I haven't owned/raced an X1/9 in over 30 years, but these pictures bring it back like it was last week.  I always thought they were great cars, an impressive design all around.

Thanks for posting.  I look forward to more progress reports.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/10/22 10:53 a.m.

Well, Marren wasn't able to turn my injectors around in the 1-2 business days they advertised (was more like 10), but I still feel like they did a great job.

The flow report (after cleaning) was very good. 3 injectors flow exactly the same and the 4th is down 3%. Spray pattern is good on all 4. New pintle caps, filters, and rubber all around. All four ohm out at 2.8.

Ready to go back in asap!

Also not for now, but maybe for later, here is a fiat injector next to a jaguar injector. I bought these as spares for my xj6, but couldn't help a comparison. The jag injector (according to online data) supposedly flows about 25% more than the fiat injector. (Iirc 186cc vs 235cc or so).

Will this help with an e85 dream? Fiat left jag right.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/13/22 1:03 p.m.

Got everything reinstalled today. Oil changed. 

I unplugged the fuel pump and cranked the engine over for 15-20 seconds a few different times to hopefully prime the oil system a bit. Then I plugged in the fuel pump and just let it run for about a minute to prime the fuel system. Checked for leaks, didn't find any. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/13/22 1:04 p.m.

Then I hopped in the driver seat, and took this video:

Woohoo! (Don't mind how I keep saying fuel pressure when I obviously mean oil pressure)

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
2/13/22 1:13 p.m.

Awesome! I wait for updates on this project specifically.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/14/22 8:53 a.m.

Yes!! First start!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/22 9:07 a.m.

Outstanding! 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/14/22 9:33 a.m.

I was looking at the odometer and dividing by the length of an average autocross runsurprise That is a lot of events....

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/14/22 10:49 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I was looking at the odometer and dividing by the length of an average autocross runsurprise That is a lot of events....

hahaha yes. The car must have been a daily driver for someone at some point. I have a feeling that the original builder had it as a daily and it slowly turned "racecar" as he modded it toward autox, but I don't have data to back this up. I don't think anyone has really street driven it (except maybe to and from events) since 1990 or so. 

The car has the A/C HVAC panel, so someone somewhere wanted to street drive it in a hot climate. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/23/22 10:46 a.m.

On monday I had some time to tear into the brakes. I also started the car and let it run for about 20 minutes. I wanted to check the condition of the cooling system (like, does the thermostat open, for example). The car currently runs VERY rich when cold. But that seems to improve as things get warmer. On the dash I watched the temp come up to about 190-195ish before it started going back down just a hair, so that seems like the thermostat opened, but the rubber radiator hoses were not getting warm yet. Unfortunately I had to shut it off as it was starting to spit out of the radiator cap vent. So I think at least I need a new radiator cap. I was also trying to get some actual temps with my IR gun but I wasn't having much luck finding a reliable spot to measure. 

As to the brakes, all 4 calipers were locked up pretty good. I did end up getting all 4 pistons out and I think they can be rebuilt, but it was not an easy job. There's a tiny bit of pitting on the front pistons so I think I will replace them too because there's no reason to chance that. 

I also have a wideband O2 sensor on the way...

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
2/23/22 12:15 p.m.

Brakes, RX7 rear brake pads will fit the fiat calipers, so you can use HAWK blue pads.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/22 12:20 p.m.

So I missed this earlier, and when I first started reading I thought I knew the car. It was my nemesis when I first built my Seven, I couldn't keep up. Taking him down was my goal for a couple of years. On our final meeting, I beat him by 3.2 seconds but it had been a lot of work to get there.

But no, that one had a rotary. Still, it was fun to play with. 

Consider this pic inspiration, I guess :)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/23/22 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

wow! very close match on color and wheels though. I'd love to see the rotary swap... I wonder if there are pictures anywhere. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/23/22 12:58 p.m.
TED_fiestaHP said:

Brakes, RX7 rear brake pads will fit the fiat calipers, so you can use HAWK blue pads.

This is interesting!

Mazda RX-7 rear:

X1/9 front:

X1/9 rear:

So that certainly does seem close enough. Do the rears fit with the extra thickness though?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/22 1:11 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

wow! very close match on color and wheels though. I'd love to see the rotary swap... I wonder if there are pictures anywhere. 

You can see why I thought this might be the same car :)

Last time I saw the car was in 2007 and it was near the end of its (very long) career at that time. I suspect it has no significant web presence and all pictures are on film.

Jim Pettingill here on the forum might know the owner.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
2/23/22 1:42 p.m.

The rx7 rear pads will also fit the front, my fiesta had a similar caliper on the front, that is what I used.  I have not actually fit them to the rear of the fiat yet, so not sure if the thickness will matter.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/23/22 3:59 p.m.

The thickness will matter. I move my used fronts to the rear when they get thin enough.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/22 4:09 p.m.

Might be able to thin them down on a belt sander.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/22 4:17 p.m.

Maybe Keith's nemesis, maybe not.

Oh, and damn fine work, Robbie. Do carry on!

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dJwDQcLe5BFNua9iPj7uuZTNItgMsA646NjshQ8rFqpbLBOHNBNpDBQG7lAA26JI