1 ... 4 5 6
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/4/22 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

You got this!

I don't know how I missed this until now. This car is so cool!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/22 3:48 p.m.

Found the caliper leak today.

I had assumed the issue was the piston itself, but that looks suspiciously like installer error to me...

Anyway, I had already ordered the new piston and seal, so on they went and they are back on the car. Next is bleeding the brakes.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/11/22 7:46 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Updated todo:

• Swap back to stainless steel braided fronts? - I think brakes are bled
  • Re-attach intake grates - done!
  • Change gear oil
  • Tune computer (Dyno day?)
  • Replace under engine cover panel - done!
  • Set ride height (corner weight?)
  • String alignment
  • New bottom engine mount? - determined I will not do this right now
  • Install passenger seat
  • Finish check engine light wiring - done!
  • Finish radiator fan wiring - done!
  • Replace unused distributor with plug?
  • Install harness bar?
  • Battery terminal covers - done!
  • Change engine oil
  • Tie wideband O2 sensor wiring up - done!
  • Nut and bolt suspension and check bushings - done!
  • Fix rear brake fluid leak - done!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/11/22 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Nice work. That is a lot checked off. 

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
9/14/22 9:06 a.m.

I'm just stopping in to say that I support this.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/27/22 3:26 p.m.

The distributor was not doing anything (the standalone now handles spark timing based on a crank wheel), but it was plugging a hole in the block. 

While it wasn't really bothering me, I didn't love the idea of having a distributor on a car that doesn't need it. 

Enter a distributor plug from a DOHC fiat engine. These do exist from SOHC engines too, but they are more rare in the US. The DOHC version can be modified to fit the SOHC engine by simply removing about 5mm from the end that sits near the oil pump drive gear.

Plug is on the left (and the photo is before I trimmed the end). This thread has a lot more detail on this stuff if you're curious: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/wanted-distributor-block-off-blanking-plug.35779/

Distributor = 2 lb 2 oz, Plug = 3 oz. Distributor FMV is about $75. Plug cost $28.79 (and could be purchased cheaper). 

Simpler, lighter, cheaper, win, win, win!

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
9/28/22 7:41 a.m.

Is the old distributor functional? I may be interested in buying it from you. I'm going to convert to a cam mounted distributor on my spare X motor, but could use a spare distributor for the current motor.

Under certain circumstances it turns out you can actually bend the internal triggers and screw up your timing during a race. Probably due to a money shift by one of your drivers, but that's why it's better to not review their footage...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/29/22 12:27 p.m.
TheTallOne17 said:

Is the old distributor functional? I may be interested in buying it from you. I'm going to convert to a cam mounted distributor on my spare X motor, but could use a spare distributor for the current motor.

Under certain circumstances it turns out you can actually bend the internal triggers and screw up your timing during a race. Probably due to a money shift by one of your drivers, but that's why it's better to not review their footage...

I'm not sure I'm ready to sell any parts from this one yet (insert Gollum meme here), but I did just buy a couple things from this guy and he was great to work with. He lists 'distributors' for $20 each, though the picture looks like coils to me. Might be worth an ask. 

https://sites.google.com/view/budzinsk-fiat-parts/home

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/14/24 7:28 p.m.

Long time with no updates here either, but I did do a little work this fall toward the goal of getting this back on track.

I was able to get it started up again, and tweaked the tubing a bit more, and drove it around the block again. 

I'm confident in the spring I'll be able to get it fully autox ready and take it to an event next season!

In the meantime, I spent entirely way too long fixing the glovebox door. This is the second one I've done and I did a better job than the first one. I'm reasonably confident this is how they are supposed to work when brand new. And the hinge is made of metal now so I'm not worried about it breaking again in short order. 

Plus, I had fun adding the sound to this little video. Hahaha.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kPnX72lqcZM1TCmL269aL0IS5ddqpAl1lrYAyllKCXYdwWQ7OXM60ZIsZi52oj8A