MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
2/9/19 11:18 p.m.

I got this car recently for nearly nothing. I was going to take the all aluminum reverse flow 1.6l and put it in my R10, but it might be saveable as a car. All around torsion suspension with transverse torsion members for the rear. They designed it with full width torsion springs, so the left wheelbase is 70mm longer on the driver's side. First hatchback in production, 3 lug,  4spd column shift, power brakes, flat folding rear seat, etc.

Anyway, as I have it back at the barn, I am considering what it would take to get it running and driving again.  The motor indeed does turnover and has at least some compression(havent tested it , but it feels good), clutch works, shifter works(although I have no idea where the gears are with a 4spd column shift!) Ive found some sources for new brake parts, bushings etc. 

Here is a lovely example of one, with gordini wheels:

I think I need to really assess how bad the rust is before I get to deep into another car project, but I really love the layout and shape of this thing. Once I get my megasquirt and supercharger running on my other renault I might dive into this one.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/19 5:27 a.m.

Intentionally designing a car with different wheelbases on each side? Wow...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/10/19 6:36 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Intentionally designing a car with different wheelbases on each side? Wow...

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/10/19 7:21 a.m.

Looking at old French cars always makes me think that at least half the decisions made were driven by a pathological need to not appear to be mimicking the Germans. Ze Bosche are using four or five wheel lugs? Alors! Ve shall use three! And ve shall put ze transmission in front of ze engine! That'll show ze bloody Chermans!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/10/19 7:30 a.m.

Another Renault! My R8 is waiting patiently for me to start work on it.

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
2/10/19 8:14 a.m.

You west coasters have funny ideas about what “rust” is. Anyway, very interesting car! I’ve never seen one before. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/10/19 8:54 a.m.

Many Renaults have differing wheelbase side to side, basically all the FWD ones they imported to the USA. I do not know when they stopped doing it.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
2/10/19 10:00 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Many Renaults have differing wheelbase side to side, basically all the FWD ones they imported to the USA. I do not know when they stopped doing it.

I know you can only see one side of the car at a time, but knowing there was 70mm of difference from one side to the other would be enough to drive me bonkers... 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/10/19 10:18 a.m.

Can you tell while cornering which side has the shorter wheelbase? 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/19 10:51 a.m.

These used to be everywhere in France when we went there for vacations in the 70s, but they're really rare these days even in France, let alone the rest of Europe.

If this one is saveable, it would be nice if it was preserved even though it's a bread and butter car. Heck, this might one of the best/better survivors left.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/19 12:18 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

18, Fuego, Encore, Alliance as well?

I’ve driven all those and never felt any difference. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/10/19 8:04 p.m.

I was in for Prius swap but im still in for tiny French car. yes

MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
2/10/19 9:39 p.m.

My concern with the rust is the b-pillar mainly. The rear floor is totally rotted through, but it seems pretty localized. As for the bizarre suspension, I think that stems from Renault's desire to make a super-supple ride. It seems the r16 was meant to compete with the Citroen DS, which was a fairly complex suspension(but very nice, from what I have heard). 

As for comparing them to german cars, my 1967 r10 has rack & pinion and all around disc brakes. My 1969 Simca has an r&p  and front discs. Not too many german cars with those specs. This car started production in 1965, and the r8/r10 in 1962.  BMW 2002 wasnt even in production yet. Or the VW golf. If anything the VW passat copied the r16. Dont get me wrong, I'd love me a BMW 2002, but the french made some pretty influential, if a bit funky, cars.

Any way this is the original color of the car. "Gris Sauge" or gray sage.

Im going to order a set of tires to get this thing rolling, since they are 30$ each from walmart

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iDgD8xqhPJ4P5pnZw9elUKQ3XaRdBHoOFizloFkJKIivQS3byFzrM8nGBrsbh7Ir