PHAN
PHAN New Reader
7/17/20 8:39 p.m.

Hello everybody! 

I've been lurking on the forums for quite some time now - figured it's time to make my first post.

Project Introduction, June 2020:

My first car after graduating high school was an RX-8; and from that point on, I found it pretty difficult for me to not own one every couple of years or so.
If you've been following the resale value on these cars - you'd realize that it offers a lot for the price.

Anyways, I found a 200,000 miles RX8 (still running) for about $700 dollars some time last year.

The 13b-Renny had low compression, but probably was a "usable" core. 
Anyhow, that went awry during me disassembling the engine and I did some things that probably weren't the smartest idea in hindsight.

Long story short, I dropped a couple internal pieces and - for the most part - bricked the engine.

So, realizing my lack of mechanical empathy, I did what any sane and reasonable person would do.

Double down and build the dumbest (or brightest) "RX8" that I had in my mind.

It's usually a better idea to find the right tool for the job - and for good reason, but ridiculous builds are starting to become all the rage.

For the most part, I've never been much of an off-road enthusiasts but I think the time spent being an autocross/time attack fan has led me to try things outside of my comfort zone. 

Kelly Moss' Safari 911

For a couple months now, I've been seeing more and more Safari/Offroad/Overlander builds based on cars - most notably these older 911's.
While I doubt any of these cars can do any legitimate rock-crawling - they've been proven to be solid enough to handle a couple jumps while casually floating across the desert sand, and should do quite nicely on more rural, unpaved roads as well.

Here are a couple other examples of vehicles that will influence this build by the time it is finished.

Found this RX8 rendering online; anyone else seeing an UTE conversion taking place?

2JZ-GE ; The poor man's 2JZ-GTE.

Here is a 2JZ-GE engine that I purchased from the junkyard.
Now, I'm nowhere near as capable or savvy enough to do this with an 200X Challenge budget - but this is the goalpost that I'm emulating for this build.

I'm finding it more and more fascinating how people can create such extreme builds on such a low budget so I'm going to be pulling tips and tricks from the various challenge builds that have competed.

For those of you who are unaware; the 2JZ-GE block is essentially almost identical to the 2JZ-GTE variant.
They share the same bottom end (sort of)- the GE block comes with weaker connecting rods and pistons.

The heads of the GE block have been said to flow better than those found on the GTE - although I think the difference is somewhat negligible.

The most important factor to consider is both intake and exhaust manifold mounting positions are different amongst GTE and GE blocks.

Luckily, the aftermarket has plenty of options in regards to both.

I opted for just the longblock (although I probably should have grabbed the wiring harness as well)  because this will be an NA-T build.

While everyone is aware that the 2JZ-GTE motor can handle quite a bit of power stock, most seem to be unaware of how capable a GE block is when forced induction is added.

The engine will be torn down and taken to a machine shop to have the it cleaned, checked out, bored, honed, and decked.
Once that is done - I can go ahead and source the appropriate pistons and order up the rods at the same time.

BUT, before that happens...

Currently also considering options such as the Honda J, K series, & Toyota's 1/3UZs. Reason being, the 2JZ is quite heavy and will be hanging over the axles of the RX8 so I may end up choosing a different powerplant depending on a variety of factors - weight (distribution) being one of them.

With a power goal of only about 350-400WHP; it may be more beneficial for the entire build to go with an engine that is lighter, and possibly with better packaging.

I'm currently in the process of speaking with a local fabricator who does off-road builds. I will consider his input when it comes to deciding on the final engine as well as engine placement. He is very familiar with LS engines - and while that is an extremely logical choice - it doesn't really seem to pull at my heartstrings as much. 

This being an off-road use only vehicle - I'm okay with doing things like a recessed firewall to possibly get better weight distribution front and rear.
So maybe the 2JZ will be the engine after all; maybe not.

The biggest benefit to the 2JZ would have to be it's reliability; since it's almost bullet (and idiot) proof - this may still be the answer.

This is a C5 Corvette... apparently.

Not trying very hard to keep this "an RX8" - because realistically, it's not.
Consider the RX8 chassis a prefabricated buggy chassis - or something of the sorts.

With RX8's providing a good amount of torsional rigidity as well as being easily found for a lower pricepoint;
I don't feel bad cutting this up to make it something special (or downright stupid).

The transmission that was purchased was a 420G from an E46 M3 - notably the SMG version.

I got this transmission for 300 dollars but it may end up being more than I bargained for.

Getrag and BMW offers no replacement parts for the transmission; so to service one- you have to essentially find another good donor.
This wouldn't be a problem if I could have tested the transmission before hand but this one was pulled already and had oil leaking all over it.

The 420G transmissions ' 6-Speed or SMG - are identical internally; however, the bell housings are slightly different.
With some slight machining on the bell housing, adding the shifter detents from the 6-Speed version can be completed.

Long story short, this makes the transmission smoother shifting - especially when paired with a self-centering shifter; many of which are offered for this particular transmission.

SMG units that have been converted without the proper bellhousing modifications don't seem to shift as well.

Samsonas Race Shifter

To adapt the 2JZ to the 420G; I'm probably going to contact one of the many suppliers who offer an adapter plate.
I may be open to getting one fabricated myself but I doubt the cost will be any lower - and will more likely be expensive.

PmC Motorsport's 1/2JZ -> BMW Getrag Adapter

The 420G is said to be able to hold around 900whp - more than what I am planning on this build by a long mile.
Anyhow, the transmission should be fine but we won't know until I break it up and take a look.

In the next update; I'm probably going to finalize some design elements with my fabricator and possibly see if I can get the chassis stripped further; to prepare it for the modifications that will need to take place. 

There is going to be a lot of cutting going on; I might actually end up keeping it "open" like a buggy build;
Either way, having some panels removed will make installation of the roll cage much easier.

I'm planning on running entirely new lines (brakes, water, oil, fuel) which is a lot of work - because it is...
But I figured this would be the best way to "figure" a car out all at once - for better, or for worse.

The RX8 rear suspension set-up, while being great on the street and track, is probably not up to task of more rigorous driving. 

One option is to basically find a 2005-2014 Mustang rear differential, axle, suspension, cradle as a start of creating a more robust live axle set-up. 
While I'm not completely in position to dictate whether the RX8 rear suspension is up-to-task; many have found it lacking in strength for rallying so I may go ahead and "downgrade" to a live axle in order to "upgrade".

Figured this would be a good time to handle possible suspension failure points while also upgrading to a rear diff unit that will have no problem putting down the power goals that I want.

Also, feel free to check out the build vlog. It's just the first episode so more will come later on; feel free to subscribe, comment, or simply let me know how you feel about the project! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqFjfE48ksI&t=9s

More soon!

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/20 8:52 p.m.

I approve. We need more RX-8 love.

There have been a few that have done stage rally, including one with a 20b. Picture for inspiration.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
7/17/20 8:57 p.m.

Stopped in for the insanity, stayed for the awesome build. What a cool concept. I like how you did visual research/ ideation to get a direction. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/17/20 9:11 p.m.
OjaiM5 said:

Stopped in for the insanity, stayed for the awesome build. What a cool concept. I like how you did visual research/ ideation to get a direction. 

Too bad no one we know could whip up some inspiration for an offroad rx8 with his pen...

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
7/17/20 9:30 p.m.
Haha, busted. Yes I am sure Sometime soon I will drink a few and sketch this up. 
preach said:
OjaiM5 said:

Too bad no one we know could whip up some inspiration for an offroad rx8 with his pen...

PHAN
PHAN New Reader
7/17/20 10:27 p.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

Your expertise would be gladly appreciated! :D

Thanks in advance! 

BarryNorman
BarryNorman New Reader
7/18/20 7:16 p.m.

You mentioned using a Mustang live axle.  Why not swap in the entire drive train? 

Use the v6 and Ford has flex fuel ecu in thousands of vehicles. 

For use with that twin scroll turbo (Maxspeedingrods for internet glory).

Also, there is the Raptor. (What happens to the stock parts when modified?) 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
7/22/20 1:47 p.m.

PHAN
PHAN New Reader
7/23/20 2:00 a.m.

In reply to BarryNorman :

I think I'm actually going to double down on the 2JZ swap even though the V6 Mustang drivetrain donor makes a lot more sense.

I'm finding I can get maxspeedingrods for a 2JZ but I don't know if I can bring myself to doing so... even though I know they work.

Please convince me... would be a great way to save some money.

PHAN
PHAN New Reader
7/23/20 2:02 a.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

OJAI!! Thanks for the sketch bro! :)

Definitely will be using t hat bashbar design- with the lights mounted higher, the wheel choice, hood louvers, and rear spoiler... as well as that blue tint!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/23/20 6:28 a.m.

Interesting concept- I looked really, really hard at prepping one of these for stage rally before eventually abandoning the idea in favor of the FRS/BRZ platform.  Here's some of what I learned:

-You can fit 16" wheels over the automatic cars' brakes, and maybe some high clearance ones over the manual brakes.  If you want 15" wheels, a Subaru 4-pot caliper up front looks like it could potentially be adapted and get the clearance you need.

-The rear suspension sucks, and you appear to know this since you're talking about a live axle.  There's plenty of space to weld a 4-link into the back if you ditch the factory fuel tank.

-The front suspension could actually be made to have plenty of travel, but I would remake the control arms out of steel.  The stock aluminum stuff is pretty flimsy.

-All of the tabs and hardware that attach the suspension to the body are also on the small side, if you're welding stuff anyway I'd consider doubling them up with some thicker steel.

I'm very excited for a straight-six, live axle Safari RX8. This is gonna be fun to follow. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FaSu9T72hj2IE7a9VLm1JKSAG395bRTjPxslRokbgKKqnVGrdb1DsIK4HMGsrU79