solfly
solfly Dork
10/17/20 11:43 a.m.

are you taking the front clip off?

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/17/20 12:46 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Not being a ‘Yota guy, I had to look that up! Striking family resemblance. Still longer than the bobtail...

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/20 12:55 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to MrChaos :

Not being a ‘Yota guy, I had to look that up! Striking family resemblance. Still longer than the bobtail...

its a Camry coupe that wasn't the tC. usually seen in convertible form.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/20 1:35 p.m.

2 roll bar base plates in. All are fabbed and formed. Lots of black smoke. Doors getting gutted (more) too.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/17/20 2:25 p.m.

Yall working tomorrow?

10/17/20 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Yes! Still plenty left tomorrow. Almost too much left tomorrow...need all the help I can get. 

10/17/20 6:08 p.m.

Closer.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/20 6:27 p.m.

Spray it.  200 shot

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/20 6:52 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Spray it.  200 shot

I heard those motors really respond to a 300 shot.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/20 6:58 p.m.

factory that avalon will do 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter mile 14.7. If you can get traction i will guess 0-60 in 5.5 and the quarter in high 13's or 14 flat

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/17/20 7:02 p.m.

Mother bottle and open 3an line. That ought to be enough for 12s, but you might blow the welds on the intake....

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/20 7:03 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Spray it.  200 shot

I heard those motors really respond to a 300 shot.

Can I lay first claim on the piston that shoots out of the block, or is it like a wedding bouquet and whoever catches it gets it?

10/17/20 8:05 p.m.

Seat mounted. Roll bar fully fabbed and welded. Rear doors gutted to the skin. Hood gutted to the skin. Made sure at the end of the night that it still runs. Only difference now is the airbag light (side curtains removed) and doors open light. By some miracle it even restarted without a jump! I might make it through the Challenge on a 6 year old battery because free.

I took it for a spin around the block, despite the headlight situation. It. rips. I did a pull and was too distracted by the bits of glass blowing in my face, that I didn't realize I laid rubber for a entire block until I looked over my shoulder at the smoke under the streetlights. Traction will be an issue.

Also needs more loud.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/20 8:09 p.m.

Don't forget you need a headlight

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/17/20 8:17 p.m.

Speedster Avalon is best Avalon. Please tell me the AC still works?

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
10/17/20 8:23 p.m.

I love this and hope I get to see it.  Also lots of bonus points if you can fab up some sidepipes.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/17/20 8:46 p.m.

I can't wait until next year to see that engine in a vehicle that weighs 1000 lbs less!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/17/20 11:19 p.m.

Don't forget you need a headlight

Is a really big flashlight duct taped to the front good enough, or does the flashlight have to be mounted with a custom bracket to pass tech? laugh

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
10/18/20 3:30 p.m.

That's much more purposeful and sporty with the extra tubes, sans that back roof wave.  Torque steer must be awesome now . . .

10/18/20 7:39 p.m.

Whew! In 48 hours we turned a wrecked Toyota Avalon into a bona fide Challenge racecar. HUGE thanks to SVreX & son, rustomatic, MadScientistMatt & son, and a few other friends for helping out. The big jobs crossed off the list were harness, seat back brace, windscreen deflector, more body choppin', hood pins, exhaust, and rear half lowered. I still need to lower the front, add a headlight, and some aesthetics. We're icing the cake now. 

Bye-bye B-pillars! Ya'll were heavy.

The front doors still oparate and latch closed. I welded the striker straight to the roll bar.The rear door skins are welded on and do not open.

MadScientistMatt and his son build a windscreen after rummaging through my scrap pile. They found some Ford Model A parts and made good use of them!

This is literally all I did to the exhaust - just lopped off 50 lbs. There are still 2 pre-cats (1 for each bank of the V6), a 2nd cat, and a 24" long resonator upstream of this. It's surprisingly quiet without these mufflers, and replacing the post-cat and resonator with straight tube is too much effort right now. It has a nice low rumble, nothing obnoxious. 

Interior ergo is decent. Seat is on a slider.

2 coils removed from the rear, for 4.5" of drop. This job was amazingly quick. Didn't get around to the front before tapping out.

I think it looks DOPE.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/20 7:47 p.m.

WooHoo!

Looking great!  Can't wait to see how it does!

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/18/20 7:57 p.m.

Awesome! Great job everyone! 

And, to think, when the car was new, they probably thought the rear spoiler made the car look sporty/racy.

What would they think now? Would they have ever guessed? 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/18/20 8:16 p.m.

Looking good! I'm concerned that the big open hole leading to the trunk will act as a huge parachute. Got any tarp material you can cover it with?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/20 8:18 p.m.

Rework roof into bitchin tonneau?

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/20 8:20 p.m.

It will be fun to see how this does, it has to be much lighter and traction will be interesting to say the least. I also don't think that Toyota in their wildest dreams ever envisioned anyone racing an Avalon as this on will be doing next weekend! Someone needs to weigh this at the Challenge, looks like stock they are around 3,500 pounds.

Good luck!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sMiEGXiW1QvGyJLxvH8Y7dPxVeOVohLOQz28kpnja5bcg2Ep1hkr5NtqN73kJZ2K