1 ... 7 8 9
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/1/21 4:33 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

What annoyed me is they made a Saturday appointment for me, saying the tires would be there that Saturday morning.  Then called me later in the week saying they don't get Saturday deliveries.  Um, ok?

It took USPS 11 days to delivery a 2 day priority package and over 2 weeks for another one, which they then damaged the contents of. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/11/21 8:50 a.m.

So I've been wanting a shop press for awhile but garage space and not wanting to spend the money have kept me from buying one.  Then one popped up used on a moto forum and I decided to go grab it, especially since they're way more expensive to buy new now.

Took the R, showed up and looked at the press and thought "Uh oh, this might not fit!"  Luckily with the seats folded down and the front passenger seat pushed forward it just squeeked in...

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/11/21 12:48 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to CAinCA :

What annoyed me is they made a Saturday appointment for me, saying the tires would be there that Saturday morning.  Then called me later in the week saying they don't get Saturday deliveries.  Um, ok?

It took USPS 11 days to delivery a 2 day priority package and over 2 weeks for another one, which they then damaged the contents of. 

I had a similar experience. It's like their online appointment system isn't actually connected to their stores.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/11/21 1:27 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

The appointment was made in the store, with a real live person, not online. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/11/21 3:36 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to CAinCA :

The appointment was made in the store, with a real live person, not online. 

Oops. Missed that.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
10/12/21 8:22 a.m.

LOL I have that same Hammerstore hydraulic press.  It has fit in a few different trucks of buddies borrowing it - most recently into a g35 sedan trunk.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
10/12/21 1:30 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Same here!  I got it home in the S2000, but that took a bit more disassembly...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/3/22 5:45 p.m.

So I was reading one of the FB groups and noticed that the tuner recommends replacing spark plugs every 10k miles.  I've done a bit more than that and my car has been running perfectly.  That seems excessive but, well, ok?  I bought the plugs initially from FCP Euro, so I can get a new set for free.  Might as well do it, so I ordered up plugs.

Got a new spark plug gapping tool, works really well!

Here are the old plugs.  Look  a little dirty but seem ok.  Then I checked the gaps, I'd installed them at the recommended 0.024 gap and they've opened to 0.063!  Wow, alrighty then, guess I'll be checking the gaps every 5000 miles and replacing every 10000.

Next score is a used, OEM set of silver mirror housing covers.  Audi always uses these to denote a "sport" model and I kinda like the look.  Need to install them...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/7/22 4:40 p.m.

Did a little work to this car too.  All the "sport" cars have silver mirror caps and I managed to score a used set.  Let's put them on!

First turn the mirror in and get your fingers behind the glass.  Pull off the glass

There are two clips holding the mirror on.  Using an interior tool, pop the clip in the inside and outside of the mirror, while pulling the cap towards the front of the car

Line everything up on the new cap and snap it into place.  Carefully line up the mirror and put pressure on the center of it to snap it back into place.  Done!

Subtle addition, but I like it

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/22 4:54 p.m.

Doc, I am sold on these. Today was my first snow storm in my mk6 R. So much fun!

I am very OK with cosmetics. These cars look good to me if properly done and not over the top.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/7/22 4:59 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

I'm an OEM+ kinda guy, so I'm with ya

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/15/22 9:31 a.m.

So I decided to take advantage of the crazy car market.  I could use a large vehicle to go skiing with and my dog and son don't really fit in the back of the R.  Since I also have the 996, corrado and KTM 690, I don't really need another sporty hot hatch as my DD, I really could use a SUV.  That way there's another vehicle that my wife and daughter can drive in the garage, since they don't drive stick.

I attempted to sell the car as is, with all the goodies on it and had it priced extremely well, at least according to NADA/KBB.  Didn't really get any nibbles except from dealers, who offered me less than asking and wanted it stock.  At that point I looked into trading it in so I could get the tax advantages.  It worked out that I found the Land Cruiser I wanted from a private party in San Diego but was able to run the sale through a local broker.  That way the broker handles all the paperwork, getting it from San Diego to Denver and takes the R in on trade.

This past weekend a friend came over and we returned the car to stock.  Another friend has the exact same car as me and he bought most of the parts.  The rest of the parts I listed on FB VW groups and it looks like by the end of this week most everything will be gone.

This was a good car for me but I drove it for 2.5 years and 24k miles for better than free.  I got all my $$ back out of it, plus depreciated it thru my company...

I'm waiting for my Land Cruiser to get picked up from my Dad's house and brought out to me.  Hopefully they get it today or tomorrow, I'd really like to have it by this weekend.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
2/15/22 9:48 a.m.
docwyte said:

I got all my $$ back out of it, plus depreciated it thru my company...

Hmm, shouldn't you still have to pay tax on the profit if you sold it for over the depreciated value? 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/15/22 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

No. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/16/22 9:57 a.m.

Have most of the parts sold, someone is supposed to be picking up the Homelink mirror tonight and another person the spare tire kit tomorrow.  Then all I'll have left is the resonator delete pipe

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/22 5:50 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

That is probably the smartest way to divest yourself of the car and mods.  I'm interested to see what you do next.  I'm really glad you got your 996 TT when you did.  You were smart.  I totally missed the boat on that one. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/17/22 9:44 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I wish I'd bought the 996 TT sooner, but I realized that if I didn't buy one 3 years ago it probably wouldn't happen.  I'm seeing 996 C4S's with twice the mileage of my Turbo selling for more than I paid for my Turbo now.

The Land Cruiser will be my foul weather DD and carry people/dog/stuff vehicle.  I'll drive the Turbo, KTM and Corrado when it's nice and I don't need to carry a bunch of stuff.  I'm still undecided whether I'm going to keep the Corrado, it's a cool car but extraneous, especially with the Turbo in the fleet.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/22 10:59 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I kind of like the Corrado.  You could Radwood it, and have fun with it in other ways.  The current hype over 99 996s, C4s 996s etc is wild.  3 years ago no one wanted them.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/17/22 11:12 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

3 years ago a C4S was maybe a $20-25k car, even with the IMS done and low mileage.  Now a higher mileage one is a $50k car. Which is crazy.

With the corrado for me, it kind of boils down to how much use I'll get out of it and how much space I have.  I've found that any car I have sitting up on my lift rarely gets used.  I don't have space for all the cars to sit on the garage floor, either the Turbo or the Corrado will be up on the lift.  Since they both sort of serve the same purpose the Corrado will rob miles from the Turbo, which I feel I don't drive enough as it is.  So that's why I'm not sure I'll keep the Corrado...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/21/22 5:54 p.m.

Stick a fork in it, cause this one is done.  Traded it in today at lunch and left with my Land Cruiser.  I had fun with it and it was a great car, dynamically much better than the LC (duh!) but I needed the space and the Land Cruiser makes much more sense for me.

Tale of the tape, after what I got as trade value, plus the tax savings, plus what I made selling all the aftermarket parts I basically ran the car for free and got all my mod money back.  While buying the LC right now wasn't awesome price wise, I made up for it with the R and I'm ok with that.

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RPgRNBsFSnQo2EbYN5AQmdzQ2WghP4hFFUymfFKPCBItBg7IIBkWyvIlekp3d1o9