1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/18 7:49 a.m.

I figured you didn't take 191 or 128 when you mentioned the snow. Glad you made it safe. I was beginning to wonder last night. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/18 9:05 a.m.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/2/18 10:50 a.m.

Man Seth, you're being a little sporty!  Take your time and be safe!

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/2/18 11:12 a.m.

When I saw the first pic I thought "That looks like the Hanging Flume overlook on 141 - he wouldn't go that way during a Winter Weather Advisory."  Oops.  So did you then go over Lizard Head on 145, which would have been interesting in the weather to say the least, or head west near Uravan through beautiful downtown Bedrock to Utah?  Anyhow, glad you made it to 'Querque, by now you're lower and can hopefully make some time.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/2/18 11:13 a.m.

More Miata stuff. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/2/18 11:15 a.m.

It has the Rabies!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/2/18 11:18 a.m.

Like seeing car pics 

more please 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/18 11:59 a.m.
NOHOME said:

It has the Rabies!

you'll Rue the day you Taunt Rabid Turbo Rufus

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/18 12:42 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

More Miata stuff. 

Glad to see the cooling system is working well. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
12/2/18 5:39 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

More Miata stuff. 

I christen thee Rufus, the snowslayer

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/2/18 8:25 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

More Miata stuff. 

Remind me to tell you never to pick the route or tires for any vehicle we get into together....

wait...... oh crap....

Keith Tanner
12/2/18 8:25 p.m.

Everyone at FM is impressed with Seth’s apparent driving ability, to have made it though 141 in those conditions without any ditch time. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/2/18 8:48 p.m.

If I remember the stories correctly, aside from growing up in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan, Seth attended college in the UP of Michigan.  I am sure that the snow had his attention but was not the worst he has seen.  

spacecadet
12/2/18 9:43 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Your memory has not failed you today. That is correct on UP. 

mazdeuce - Seth
12/2/18 10:13 p.m.

Tucked in. This is a great car. Mrs. Deuce wants to drive it to work in the morning. I told her it was ok to leave it home so I could drive it more, even after 15 and a half hours behind the wheel today. It's that good. 

Keith Tanner
12/2/18 10:25 p.m.
John Welsh said:

If I remember the stories correctly, aside from growing up in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan, Seth attended college in the UP of Michigan.  I am sure that the snow had his attention but was not the worst he has seen.  

It’s not so much the conditions as the equipment in this case. Rufus was not optimized for snow use when it left FM!

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/2/18 10:26 p.m.

Wow - congratulations - that's an epic day behind the wheel.  Glad you made it home OK.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/18 10:28 p.m.

S-Drives + Snow is not a good combo. I know betty is tucked away right now because of just that reason. 

wawazat
wawazat Reader
12/3/18 5:22 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

More Miata stuff. 

Looks just like a 1 year old would look after eating an ice cream cone.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/18 7:30 a.m.

I mean, it had snows on it right? You did say you were putting those on. The ground clearance for eight inches of snow would have made me a bit nervous, but obviously Seth is the man.

Snow is one of those things that just demands traction and patience. As long as you have some traction you’ll be okay, but the less traction you have the more patience you need. People usually run out of patience before they run out of traction. Stopping is the part that is difficult. You don’t stop nearly as well as you get going in snow.

The best car I’ve had in the snow was my 2003 Subaru Outback H6. Once I had snows on that car it was amazing. Good ground clearance and the AWD setup was like magic. We have a 335i now and the BMW xdrive is actually really good as well.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/18 7:32 a.m.

-Hot new car- check...

-Dad/Son bonding - check...

-Epic pucker factor drive in unknown Hot new car- check....

-Ice racing/snow rally crossing in Hot new car- check....

-Hot new Christmas present for Mrs. Deuce?- check?...

Best of all, Home, safe and sound.   Tell me Seth, what will you do for an encore?

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/18 7:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
John Welsh said:

It’s not so much the conditions as the equipment in this case. Rufus was not optimized for snow use when it left FM!

Not to get all misty over this, but I'd say this car was not built for a drive like this.  It's a testament to how well FM puts a car together.

mazdeuce - Seth
12/3/18 7:53 a.m.
Harvey said:

I mean, it had snows on it right? 

It has Yokohama S Drives. We discussed snow tires but I decided that the weather looked good enough that they weren't required. laugh

paul_s0
paul_s0 New Reader
12/3/18 8:08 a.m.

Glad you got back ok, I look forward to seeing more adventures!  One thing I do miss down here in Peru is driving in the snow, at least here in Lima.

spacecadet
12/3/18 9:16 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Harvey said:

I mean, it had snows on it right? 

It has Yokohama S Drives. We discussed snow tires but I decided that the weather looked good enough that they weren't required. laugh

*facepalm* 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UW7hYD3QGCmZDjN6loSVaWCKwN37w6ber63C9JOhJUbtnyU1Ih4Hy0zhY2Oq0txS