1 2 3 4 ... 59
sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/20/12 1:38 p.m.

I got a spare suit you can borrow and a spare set of gloves.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/20/12 2:00 p.m.

You tempt me sir! Let me see if I can get the cage done in time. I had planned to just put in a harness bar and run the car on the stock wheels and all-season tires. Then take the off-season to finish it off and take my time.

That is unless I can get my Yamaha R1 drivetrain sold off... Then it's full-bore time again.

I did just get a shipment from Jegs with a bunch of my base plates and two different types of gussets. Gotta love their speedy shipping.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/20/12 2:50 p.m.

More pics of cage please!

I am about to get a cage for my FC for LeMons. I like how you have the main hoop.

Are you keeping the dash? Are you going to gut the doors to put the door bars in?

Thanks!

Rob R.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/20/12 3:29 p.m.

I haven't started my cage yet. That was another racer's FC we caged. He wanted to keep full interior so there were some caveats for that. Plus he's tall (at least his son is) and needs to recline the seat to fit.

Mine will have no dash, gutted doors and no windows. I want as much weight gone as possible.

Need to pickup some stubby screwdrivers on the way home so I can get the dash out.

Right now the plan I'm going with is just running a harness bar and taking my time on the cage during the off-season. I want this thing to be stout so I'll be erring more on the side of an FIA design than a simple 6-point.

Also on the list is cutting out most of the metal from the rear hatch area. I have a 5-gallon fuel cell and want to move the radiator back there for better weight balance

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
8/20/12 9:19 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: The more I dig into this car the more surprised I am by how solid it is. It's weird having a North East car that's this old and isn't full of holes.

Whoever owned the FC before me and the previous owner obviously took very good care of it. After all, he dropped $5.5K to have that rebuilt 13B dropped in. My turbo FC is not nearly in as nice a condition.

If you're looking for another weight savings mod further down the pike, these folks make a rally car-style Lexan window and hatch kit.

http://www.lexan-windows.com/window-kits-windscreens.html?brand=157&model=339

Speaking of which, how do you plan to route air to the rear if you mount the radiator there?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/20/12 10:15 p.m.

Cutout floor and scoop

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/21/12 8:30 a.m.

Photos as promised!

Rear suspension shot as requested:

Front suspension still needing repair:

Just a few things left inside to remove:

Front is coming apart to get the A/C system all out:

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/22/12 2:29 p.m.

Yeah, the cage definitly won't be done before Ascutney unless I want to live in this thing.

Oh well, better to take the time and really do it right this winter.

I did order my racing harness and right-side net today.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/27/12 12:14 p.m.

Hmmm, looks like a normal car again, only now there's about 60 pounds less weight hanging out in front of the front axles. The entire A/C system is gone, man was that compressor a dense piece, and the front bumper support gone. Just need to pull the rest of the HVAC system out of the car and then start putting stuff back together for its maiden run on Sept. 7 (autocross)

I picked up my tires today too, 23.5/10-15 M28 compound American Racers. I forgot how light biasply tires were. With the short diameted (4+ inches shorter than stock) I'll be giving myself an artificial gearing advantage.

Still waiting on my package from SafeRacer.com

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/27/12 12:48 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Can you cancel the harness? You want to wait until you need it, because of the dating thing. I have one you can borrow short term for autocross, if you do clip in mounts. I'll need it for the weekend after Ascutney, but other than that it's available.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/27/12 1:10 p.m.

It's just a G-Force latch-link so not a major expense. It will eventually be the passenger harness for autocross where dates don't matter and I'll buy a FIA harness.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/28/12 10:01 a.m.

New rubber! I think I may have found a new spokes model for American Racer too!

I forgot how light bias ply tires were. These are less than 10 pounds each.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/31/12 8:46 a.m.

Yay air tools! I took me less than 40 minutes to have all the shocks/struts out of the car, including beer breaks.

New rears coming together:

Thought I might be able to weld up the front strut housings. Doesn't look like it. Ordered two brand-new struts to hack up for the Koni inserts for $48 shipped.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/4/12 1:40 p.m.

As a huge Rotorhead, I am looking forward to the end result!

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
9/4/12 2:28 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Speaking of which, how do you plan to route air to the rear if you mount the radiator there?

I agree with the cut out floor and scoop, but you may actually think of adding a FUNCTIONAL roof scoop. Not like all the BS Fast & Furious crap, but if you have the radiator back there, you really have a use for it. Maybe louvor the rear window if made out of Lexan?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/4/12 9:40 p.m.

That's certainly an option. I could run naca ducts from the sides too since I'm flaring the fenders out.

Rear suspension is back in the car. Waiting on new strut housings to come now. Working on the interior this week: gauge cluster mounting etc.

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/5/12 1:07 a.m.

What a great build!! I used to live back East... I volunteered at the Mt. Ascutney Hillclimb several times. Perhaps we've run into one another. Either way, I am looking forward to the end result, keep up the good work!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/5/12 10:50 a.m.

I haven't missed an Ascutney event since spring of 2009 so it's likely we've met at some point.

I'm keeping an eye on your VW build too!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/5/12 4:45 p.m.

Well I was told today the trailer I was going to be using for Ascutney in 9 days won't be available so it looks like I'm sitting out this fall unless I can find another one to borrow.

For those who know about our big fancy aluminum gooseneck we bought a month ago, the car won't fit in it. Too wide.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/5/12 9:33 p.m.

Crisis averted. Kinetic Motorworks came through for me.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
9/6/12 9:07 a.m.

Get crackin', time is tickin'

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/6/12 9:13 a.m.

I'm crackin'!

Just have to mount the gauges, seat and harness inside. Outside, the front suspension needs to come together. My new struts are coming tomorrow so I can promptly gut them.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
9/6/12 9:17 a.m.

Cool, you going to throttle steer?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/6/12 9:28 a.m.

Always inspiring to see builds like this. It's amazing how fast they progress when there is motivation. Keep up the good work and please keep updating us!!!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/6/12 10:01 a.m.
sachilles wrote: Cool, you going to throttle steer?

Throttle steer is best steer.

1 2 3 4 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cXt8FPDXzsTIFiR3zJomPsIO67hMuAySrNSACSsdrBS7A8abZMgC14Xi8Wwjkcbq