1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 59
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/4/17 7:57 p.m.

Pretty fond of this photo

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/5/17 11:18 a.m.

I ran to the shop to do some before hours wrenching this morning. Finding homes for the external reservoirs is proving a little more challenging than I initially thought, but that's a nice problem to have.

While installing the front strut I discovered another victim of the roll.

Poor guy didn't stand a chance between the 24mm sway bar and the suspension.

Replacement ordered, I completed my install

And then another check that everything still clears nicely - it does.

Tires should arrive today. New heims for the rear toe links are in the mail.

I can finally take a breath and then focus on the LeMons car for New Jersey in a week.

java230
java230 SuperDork
5/5/17 11:33 a.m.

That is some sexy suspension

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/6/17 3:16 p.m.

In reply to java230: And to think it's all completely hidden.

Got a delivery today!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/6/17 3:17 p.m.

Also finished the OTHER project, Jess' first motorcycle

It started life like this:

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/6/17 8:29 p.m.

Did you do a build thread for that? Can't remember..

java230
java230 SuperDork
5/6/17 10:05 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

It's still there, just have to lift the skirt!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/8/17 9:24 a.m.
bluej wrote: Did you do a build thread for that? Can't remember..

Yeah I did one Build thread

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/10/17 10:18 a.m.

These sucked so badly to mount. Incredibly stiff carcass and super sticky rubber, it was a bear getting them to seat and took a ton of lube and 130psi to finally pop them. One of them took 4 attempts and re-lubes.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
5/10/17 9:11 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: One of them took 4 attempts and re-lubes.

I hate it when that happens.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/11/17 7:33 a.m.

Left side of the car is done

Fun facts: That mark on the door isn't from a tire - it's from a tree.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/16/17 10:04 a.m.

NJMP LeMons last weekend was OK. Saturday featured more than 2" of rain and during my stint 2 cars oiled down the track - hilarious.

Sunday was gorgeous and the car was humming along, until a bonehead wasn't watching the oil pressure, the car starved on T1 and the engine is now junk. We were in 49th overall and moving up.

Time for a new engine.

This week is slam on the hillclimb car week, so I'll have some things to share.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/17/17 7:56 a.m.

I think I landed on my presilencer when I finished my roll.

No time to order a new one, so I'll be repacking this one and welding a patch panel over it for the weekend.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/18/17 7:08 a.m.

Well I jammed as much steel wool back into the presilencer as I could, welded what was left of the case back together and then applied a 16ga patch panel. I think it should hold up for the weekend. Welding on a used exhaust from a vehicle that runs on premix is a ton of fun.

My last heim joint came yesterday so I was able to reconfabulate the toe link that got destroyed, which in turn meant I got to do this for the first time since last September.

She's on all fours again.

The list for tonight is:

Re-install the presilencer

Re-install and bleed the pedal box

Re-install front bumper

Tidy up remote reservoir lines

Oil change

Fresh spark plugs

Make some noise and heat

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/26/17 12:31 p.m.

An update is in order. I brought the car to a trusted shop for a thorough nut and bolt and an alignment. Everything was looking good until we threw the lasers on it. Right rear has -3.5 degrees of camber. Left had -1.8. Camber isn't individually adjustable (yet).

Rather than risk it I pulled the plug on the race and ordered a new control arm, which appears to have been twisted ever so slightly in the roll. I also ordered individual camber adjusters.

Meanwhile, I've been staying busy in the shop https://www.youtube.com/embed/dG5KhXhYMrc

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
5/26/17 6:34 p.m.

Was the shop able to confirm that unibody wasn't tweaked in the incident? Pickup points still where they should be?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/27/17 6:42 a.m.

Everything else looked legit. Alignment numbers were consistent. Subframe looked good.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/31/17 8:41 a.m.

Sings Mothers don't let your kids, roll their race carrrrrssss

Last night we swapped out the bad control arm for a fresh one and a new set of Mazdatrix camber adjusters.

While we were swapping things we noticed the following: This ain't straight. It's the DTS bearing bolt. New one went in.

We also noticed the brake caliper bracket was tweaked. Jesus. Luckily I have a spare set of rear calipers etc ready to go.

I'm hoping to take the RX7 to an autocross this Sunday to shake it down a little.

java230
java230 SuperDork
6/1/17 12:09 p.m.

Nice to see it going back together!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/5/17 8:41 a.m.
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/5/17 9:30 a.m.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/5/17 2:35 p.m.

Great update! Sorry about the hatch/wind/prop/"grill" mishap....I got tired of the slightest breeze either blowing my old school spring-assisted hood shut or forcing it more open (fear of blowing it over the windshield/top) at car gatherings. So I picked up a hood prop off of some poor Kia at the Pull A Part for $1, fabbed a few brackets -- and came up with this. No more hood moving around or prop coming undone on its own.

[URL=http://s937.photobucket.com/user/MichaelYount/media/LS3%20Engine%20swap/mock5_zpsan2n4nnv.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s937.photobucket.com/user/MichaelYount/media/LS3%20Engine%20swap/mock7_zpsyjcslcqr.jpg.html][/URL]

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/6/17 4:56 p.m.

Not a bad idea really.

Someone posted photos from the day. The car needs to be lowered a bit and I think I need to figure out how to mount a rear sway bar with the Ford diff.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/7/17 8:00 a.m.

Apparently I had the car on two wheels a couple times.

Time to lower it a little more and maybe add some more rear spring.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/15/17 8:28 a.m.

Prepping for the Okemo Hillclimb this weekend

Added another muffler to quiet things down further

1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XY9Sz3lSHJgQkmBmW9oySLdge9JvBHrsVH7FJqAcVLHCcxtuYZKzinxpF5JuPwWV