1 ... 56 57 58 59
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/11/19 9:02 a.m.

I'll get the resurfaced when the schedule relaxes a bit. I think I could get them back into useable condition.

I'm going to give the irons a real deep clean and see if I can spot anything.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/14/19 7:50 p.m.

Did a thing today

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
7/15/19 8:50 a.m.

Nice, Beats crawling around under the car.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/23/19 2:40 p.m.

New housings came. SO FRESH!

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
7/23/19 3:56 p.m.

Those are pretty. The rule with pretty parts is you must hide them in the car where no one can see them.  

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/24/19 8:08 a.m.

That's the general rule for the car anyway. Ugly on the outside. Less ugly inside. Good stuff hidden completely.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/29/19 8:52 a.m.

Couldn't resist it. The call of gooooold

Also did some work on the LeMons RX7. Got mounts fabbed up and she sits in there pretty nicely - I'll even be able to use the stock exhaust manifolds I think. 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
7/29/19 9:01 a.m.

I like the gold!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/29/19 12:20 p.m.

In reply to KevinGale :

I knew you would haha

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
8/14/19 8:13 a.m.

I have never built a rotary. This one was built 4 seasons ago and was consuming coolant in mysterious ways.

Fresh bearings (just in case)

I reused the oil control seals, side seals and corner seals as this engine always started like a champ and never burned oil. Rotary Aviation provided the soft seals and a set of their classic apex seals and springs slid into place without too much drama. Gluing the apex seals together for assembly wasn't a great time, but I got through it.

Waiting on a new rear stationary gear bearing as mine was roached. No clue when it happened. Overnight shipping here we come!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/11/19 11:07 a.m.

Had a hold up on the engine because I forgot an outer water seal and had to tear it back down. Whoops. Hoping to have it all back together tonight.

In the meantime the GM 3800 has a fresh wiring harness and is sitting in the car on its complete mounts. How does it fit? We can even use the OEM headers and down pipes. Cylinder 1 is even with the front axle as well. The only trimming we'll need to do is for the shifter, which is further forward in the tunnel.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/12/19 8:08 a.m.

annnnnd finished the 13B rebuild. 9 Days before the next hillclimb too - so I think that counts as being ahead of things haha

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/13/19 9:19 a.m.

ready to go back in

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/14/19 10:00 a.m.

almost ready to run again

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/2/19 7:57 a.m.

The Lemons RXMaro is getting closer

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/9/19 9:36 a.m.

The interior is "nicer" than my "nice" race car. 

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/12/19 11:50 a.m.
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/14/19 8:45 a.m.

Off to the exhaust shop with her. Good thing we had a turbo hood or the alternator would have required even more clearancing. 

These boys have never been so pampered.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/14/19 8:59 a.m.

O hhh, tell me about that tablet dash please!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/14/19 3:24 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Tablet dash recipe:
1 - iPad 4 that has been sitting forever.
2: TONWON wifi OBDII adapter 
3: Dash Command app ($9.99) another $9.99 for GM full codes, but not neccessary. 
4: Ram Mount Tablet mount

We have a case for the iPad too to make it more snug. The key to IOS is to use Wifi for consistent connection. Android is happiest with bluetooth. Tonwon makes both and is the best bang for the buck. It also plays well with Harry's Lap Timer if you're into that. Downside to wifi is that we can't control cameras with the tablet (fine by me).

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/25/19 11:02 a.m.

We did solve the VATS issue, and she got a fresh exhaust system that made the car REALLY quiet. Oddly quiet. IS THIS STILL AN RX7? levels of quiet. 

The race went GREAT. 618 miles and zero drivetrain issues.  Lap times that were competitive with the top runners. Really just stellar stuff. Very happy. We finished 43rd. Stoked. 

And she drive right into the trailer to race another day. Can't be mad about that. 

Next up is a fuel cell and some in-car communications. 

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/25/19 11:03 a.m.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/25/19 11:03 a.m.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/25/19 11:04 a.m.
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/3/19 1:07 p.m.