1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 59
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/5/13 2:48 p.m.

I figured it was like that. Sounds like a good way to booger up some threads if you are not REALLY careful.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/7/13 1:55 p.m.

Starting to get spendy.

New toe links $225 Camber bar $110 Toe bushings $60

Rear end should just about be done after that though.

golfduke
golfduke New Reader
2/8/13 10:25 a.m.

Oh you're Dave. I met you at the last autox of the year with SCCNH. Beautiful Car, sad to see the miata go, as it looked like great fun.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/8/13 6:13 p.m.

What were you driving? Yeah I'm going to miss the Miata, it's a great car. It's going to a very loving father and son duo to be a hillclimb car, so I'll get to see it often.

Snow postponed the pick up to next Wednesday so I get to admire her a little more and give her a final wax and wax.

Told the new owner if he wants the shark teeth I can get the vinyl cut again haha. He said no.

I'm expecting the RX7 to be a good time too - just a lot more work to get it running like I want it to.

golfduke
golfduke New Reader
2/8/13 10:19 p.m.

I had/have a black e36 m3 with tiger print headliner, haha. That's really all that's distinguishable about it though. I just paid for my membership this year, so I'll be around a lot more often and will hopefully see you around.

Likewise, If you ever need a hand with anything, I'd be happy to help. I'm not too far from you I don't think...?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/9/13 2:37 p.m.

I'm south of you.

You'll definitely see me though, since I'm the director of the program haha. Good to have another racer join the ranks.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 10:41 a.m.

OK so I'm at a crossroads with the fenders. I can either spend a pile on a widebody kit.... or flare the OEM fenders.

My thoughts are to slice along the existing flare, pull out a couple inches and weld a basically horizontal filler piece. Box flares that match the existing box flares I guess.

My welding skills aren't awesome...Yet. What say ye?

Note how much flare is needed to cover the front rubber. Looking at a 2" flare easy.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 10:42 a.m.

I may be able to find another set of front fenders to even get the perfect filler piece.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
2/11/13 11:43 a.m.

do it!!!!

racecar. welding doesnt have to be perfect. i beleve the box flares will be perfect for this application. will the fenderlip clear at full lock?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 12:23 p.m.

Might take a little massaging to clear at full lock.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
2/11/13 12:32 p.m.

What about some fiberglass rivet on flares? For that race car I think it'd look great.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
2/11/13 12:36 p.m.

That would be a great candidate for "Yugo from Hell" flares.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 1:12 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Cheapest that would actually cover these are in the $800 per set range, unless I made my own. I prefer welding over working with fiberglass.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
2/11/13 1:42 p.m.

What about the famous GRM fiberglass box flare as pioneered by misfit toys for the Yugo from Hell?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 2:18 p.m.

It's a possibility. I suppose one good wreck would total my metal fenders, while fiberglass could be repaired or replaced.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 2:21 p.m.

For those unfamilair with the Yugo from Hell: http://misfittoysracing.com/Yugo/flaretutorial/

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
2/11/13 8:17 p.m.

I suggest doing nothing. It's more weight. There is no aero advantage. It's more stuff to fix when a tree gets in the way. Put the time and money to something else. Hillclimb cars don't have to be pretty. Pretty cars get broken.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 8:53 p.m.

Rubber has to be covered for autocross.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/12/13 8:41 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Rubber has to be covered for autocross.

Is that a local thing? I've seen many National-level cars with massive rubber sticking out of the body.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/13/13 6:33 a.m.

I could be wrong but I think it depends on class.

There is most definitely an aero advantage though.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/13/13 8:36 a.m.

Got a nice package in the mail today:

Toe links and camber link. Beefy heim joints made in the good ol' US of A.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
2/13/13 8:56 a.m.

Dave,

Cool build.

Side note...did you build an AWD Civic Wagon a while back?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/13/13 9:12 a.m.

Nope. I've had a CRX and two Civics (another one coming soon hopefully), but never a Wagon. Want one though.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/13/13 7:30 p.m.

Lost a friend today. But surely gained two more.

She couldn't have gone to a better home.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
2/13/13 8:05 p.m.

Glad the Miata went to a good home, and that you will still get to visit it from time to time.

This thread makes me miss my '88 GTU... Other than being so damn big and heavy, I really loved that car.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eJAUaxmEJGyd2LH5enDfKzoUosKA8A6SLLsCkxg4G1K3yh0tpE1G1rvEJrYapujd