1 2
ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
8/20/14 5:59 p.m.

I don't know yet what year this is...but all cues point to '60s or early '70s most likely.

photo P1010294_zps021f117b.jpg

This belonged to my grandfather from before I can remember. 20 years ago or so, he gave it to my father (who needed it every bit as badly as I do). This year my father asked if I'd like to have it.

I don't have a specific use for it...but I've got a place to store it and it holds a sentimental value for me. We just celebrated my Grandfather's 94th birthday a few weeks ago. Everything my Grandfather has owned he has maintained meticulously.

I dragged it home on Easter weekend of this year and rolled it into the barn and forgot about it for a while.

Today, I put some gas in it, hooked up some jumper cables, pulled the choke, turned the key and it fired up!

I'd like to get it into usable condition and...use it a bit. If nothing else, it looks cool as can be.

If anyone knows anything about these, I'm sure I'll have some dumb questions. I already do! In the mean time, I'll start finding the various problems and fixing them as I get around to it.

photo P1010297_zpsa4857dca.jpg

photo P1010295_zps10cf53c7.jpg

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/20/14 6:11 p.m.

As with most any motorized device you can think of, it turns out there's a website for vintage Sears lawn tractors http://vintagesearsgardentractors.com/ It looks like yours was built around 1970.

My dad had an Allis-Chalmers lawn tractor of about the same vintage. One of these days I want to rescue it from my sister's garage and fix it up. I don't have a real need for a lawn tractor either but it does have sentimental value.

e46potenza
e46potenza New Reader
8/20/14 8:34 p.m.

That thing is sweet! Also, the fact that there is a dedicated site to them makes me happy about life

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
8/20/14 8:48 p.m.

Yeah...I haven't spent any time on the site, but I did find it today when poking around.

This thing will pull the front wheels off the ground. Seriously...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/20/14 8:55 p.m.

If you have grass to mow, use it. It will last longer than anything on the market now.

I was in the market for a rider last year. After looking at what's available, I ended up buying a 1970s Sears mower and reworking it. My kids will get to inherit it.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
8/20/14 9:37 p.m.

I have WAY more grass to mow that my Grandfather or Father have. So...it should see its highest calling ;). Really, though, it looks so cool...as long as it moves under its own power...this thing will be awesome!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/14 9:13 a.m.

Back when stuff was built to last. Enjoy!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/14 9:17 a.m.

I see no reason that thing won't run forever.

Alfa_Sam
Alfa_Sam New Reader
8/21/14 11:49 a.m.

Nice, I am a bit of a Garden Tractor nut, the place to go to find all the info you can is;

Craftsman Garden Tractor forum

I have a few Simplicity tractors, two with the old Lambordini diesel engines. I am currently working on a repower of a JD 317.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
8/21/14 1:39 p.m.

I dig the Natural State sticker on it!

• Lee
ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/6/14 1:02 p.m.

I took the deck off and looked it over. It was missing a c-clip that retains one of the splined couplers on the main cross shaft (between the two gearboxes). I found one that is "close enough" at NAPA, so I put that on and put it back together.

This clip, right here:
 photo P1010312_zps6dc932ad.jpg

One of the front wheels was wobbly and it looks like the inner bushing has long since disintegrated. Looks like the wheel is "wallowed out" a bit. I think it should measure 1" but it's more like 1.080. I'm hoping a bit of JB weld will help secure a bushing in there. The real fix is probably going to be replacing the wheel. I'll try to post some photos sometime soon.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/6/14 2:00 p.m.

You might check Sears for parts. They had everything for my 70s mower in stock.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/6/14 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Yes, they still have diagrams and many parts. I'd say most of them are discontinued, but it's cool that they still have some stuff listed.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/6/14 9:19 p.m.

If I remember correctly that is an Onan engine in that thing. I rebuilt one when I was in High School

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/7/14 12:27 a.m.

Looks like this one has a B&S, possibly cast iron at that age.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
9/7/14 7:15 a.m.

i always find parts numbers on the sears website, then google the # to find the parts and/or best prices. maybe youll find what you need.

thats a real nice tractor, looks like other than being a little dusty its in great shape. great family heirloom.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/11/14 10:19 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: ... possibly cast iron at that age.

The swanky decal concurs with this point:

photo P1010299_zpsc06da218.jpg

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/11/14 11:35 p.m.

I didn't know they made the all iron blocks late enough to have electronic ignition, neat.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/13/14 8:11 a.m.

The steering drag link was wobbly too. A closer look revealed the reason: A loose ball stud.

photo P1010314_zpsa7e84d33.jpg

I wish all repairs were this simple (and I could take better photos in a dark pole barn:

photo P1010315_zpsa2a594d6.jpg

I also realized that the worn front wheel bushing I mentioned earlier was still there. The wheel should be fine. I have a new bushing on order. I'll get some photos of that situation as it goes back together.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/15/14 3:00 p.m.

Does anybody know what this "AutoPulse" thing is? I expect it's a fuel pump (though I'm not sure why it would need a fuel pump given the placement of the fuel tank above the carburetor).

photo P1010304_zps4d0ce261.jpg

A little closer shot:

photo P1010318_zps5faadd8b.jpg

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
9/15/14 3:14 p.m.

Yes, that is the fuel pump. Not uncommon to have one even with high mounted tanks.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/22/14 11:41 a.m.

I ordered and received a new front wheel bearing/bushing from Sears. The old and new:

photo P1010332_zps6ebbee86.jpg

I cleaned up the wheel a bit while it was off (no fallout from Mrs. Sparks yet about doing it in the kitchen sink). Still a little patina left, but I suppose that's to be expected.

photo P1010326_zps9c2666b3.jpg

photo P1010328_zps3c0fc5f6.jpg

New bushing installed:

photo P1010334_zps4b3b8f27.jpg

I would have been smart to buy both bushings for this wheel (or all 4 for the whole tractor) but I didn't. They've probably been worn out for a decade...so whatever.

I think I'll put the deck back on it and do a little mowing soon.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/22/14 11:48 a.m.

Ha ha, like SWMBO in your house is going to give too much fallout. If so, just ask her about the horse poo that is inevitably on her boots

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/22/14 12:51 p.m.

IIRC those wheel bushings fit a crapload of riding mowers, and there is a pretty common sized flanged ball bearing that is a perfect fit.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/23/14 12:19 p.m.

That's good to know. I'll have to poke around and see what I can find. It's fine for now, but would be better with at least one more new bushing (or bearing).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
crJU8re1Tn1j7WgDDNsoQNypo6MvK2maiyUNwZc4E6LJEsaMRA73Us0vOIYE01DE