1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/16/20 9:20 a.m.

Yeah its a labor of love lol.  I intend to work the bugs out then lower it.  Will look good IMO. Patina - rusted steelies and haul ass!  Will make a burnout video and post it up!

bonylad
9/17/20 11:42 a.m.

I should have the hoses sorted for the radiator. I'm concerned about one of the trans fitting in the radiator. I think I may have messed it up. So basically it's either that works or I run an external cooler. 

Fabricobbled (I think that's the term) some brackets for the top of the rad. 

Should be a simple solution. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/20 12:09 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Simple is normally the best. 

bonylad
9/18/20 5:58 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Lol yes. I think so. 

bonylad
9/20/20 11:42 a.m.

Couple updates. Plugs and wires are done. All dipsticks are installed. Need to wire up the HEI and it could start after checking valves and stabbing the dizzy.  Plus I need to finish the shifter install. And interior. Getting closer!

Unfortunately the ac had to go.  Waiting on the swivel upper water neck and cooling system is done short of wiring fans.  

Pics. 

bonylad
9/21/20 5:52 p.m.

Cooling system mocked up!  

Also reworked the wiring. Wired up the HEI and trimmed more of the harness. Tidied it all up. 

Redid the bracket as well since I deleted the ac

bonylad
9/22/20 11:09 a.m.

Getting closer!  

To start it all I need to do is finish the fluids and get dad to help with the dizzy and timing and she's running!  Still no exhaust to speak of but that's one thing less to worry about.

Need to wire up cooling fan and trans controller and I can drive her!

bonylad
9/24/20 5:48 p.m.

Trans cooler is installed. As well as cooling fan. Need to wire up the trans controller and fan. Adjust the shifter and it's driveable?  Start up hopefully Monday!

solfly
solfly Dork
9/24/20 8:03 p.m.
bonylad said:

In reply to frenchyd :

At least at this point I don't plan on a swap.  I plan perhaps some sort of pose added down the road but I am not sure what the truck wants to be and how it wants me to make it?

Thanks!  

IDK why my reply was in bold?

wink

bonylad
9/24/20 8:22 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Yeah. You got me. It's what it wanted! I can't help it! Lolz

bonylad
9/29/20 9:09 a.m.

Dad came over and is helping me get the valves and ignition right. Hope for a first start today!  Stay tuned!

bonylad
9/29/20 11:19 a.m.

Well quick update the truck fired off and cuts off my dad suggested a couple things to try with a carburetor because it was tune for a big block so I need to dial that down also get the timing right but she fired off spot fire out the carburetor couple of times so progress has been made!

I will tidy up all the wires and everything else but that's how it looks right now!

solfly
solfly Dork
9/29/20 12:58 p.m.

Working with your dad is even cooler than the truck.

bonylad
9/29/20 1:25 p.m.
solfly said:

Working with your dad is even cooler than the truck.

Yes!  I couldn't  have done this all alone but he has experience with carbs as I don't. Google can get you so far and then you gotta ask somebody who KNOWS.

Plus the biggest reason is making memories with my dad.  That's the most important part.

Thanks!

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
9/30/20 2:07 p.m.

Almost there! I've really appreciate the thread and loved following along.

bonylad
9/30/20 4:10 p.m.

In reply to bigbrainonbrad :

Thank you!  I pulled the float bowls and metering blocks off to clean them. Also installed a in line fuel filter. Redid some vac lines and hopefully this weekend we can do it right!

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/20 7:17 p.m.
bonylad said:

There have been some good pictures on this thread so far, but this is the best one so far!

bonylad
9/30/20 8:40 p.m.

Lol. I like this one. Dad took it of me after it sputtered and quit. He sent it to Jimmy. Owner of a local body shop. Dad has a hat seen in picture saying "Jimmy said...". They are always doing car stuff. Jimmy and I have a funny relationship. Great guy and love him to death. So this was a fun pic. I'm dirty and gross in pic but who cares?  

bonylad
10/6/20 7:16 p.m.

Well. Looks like the carb is junk. So as of now waiting on a replacement. Which I will be sure to face correctly as it's been the first thing anyone has said on any group other than here. Sorry. Had to get that out. 

Had two old school guys wizzing around. Impressive. 

bonylad
10/7/20 11:32 a.m.

The Holley apparently has issues. Preventing it from starting. 

So my dad being awesome gifted me this!  

Edelbrock 650 CFM AVS2 brand new!  So happy and thankful!  Christmas came early! Love you dad!

bonylad
10/7/20 6:22 p.m.

And installed!  Need to adjust the cable some. Redo the fuel line and brake booster line. But man it looks great!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/20 6:47 p.m.

It does look great!

Does it run on starting fluid?

bonylad
10/7/20 8:20 p.m.

As far as I know?  I haven't plumbed the new fuel line yet. Or are you referring to the Holley? If so we didn't have any starting fluid to test that. Idk?  

bonylad
10/9/20 8:06 a.m.

I did make a discovery. I dont know how much its affecting the whole starting problem though. To be sure it is. Maybe more than the carb.

Earlier in the thread I posted up my fuel pump mounting.  Seemed clever at the time.  I then noted when I had a gauge on it the pressure was only 3 psi. Which is too low.  

So on top of all that carb business I had a gravity fed/siphon pump mounted above the pick up in the tank which was of a questionable nature. Solution?

Upgrade! 

I am waiting on a Holley Mighty Mite Fuel Pump to arrive. This pump is dry lift capable and able to deliver up to 7 psi which is a tad more than the Edelbrock requires (6.5). 

Mighty Mite

Hopefully this will alleviate the fueling issue, and we can start this thing. Really at that point, its check fluids and test drive it cammed and open headered........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkay?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/9/20 12:09 p.m.

I don't want to be a neighsayer...but 3psi for a carburetor sounds adequate.  I'd rather under-pressure one than over-pressure one.  

But still...you can't go wrong with new and proper!  It's gonna be fun soon!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SrGM3NKkEC1scThpyRDY3imp1Xgoi3rhzjRTIUGHcH0SHDGAfbwZO7ZAP6PNs3pZ