1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/29/20 5:21 p.m.

Spent some time today with the truck. Ran the wiring for and installed the tach. 

Ran the wiring through a grommet I placed in the firewall. 

Further installed a different breather that allows me to have some semblance of a pcv system. It's a breather on the passenger side and this on the driver side. May be my imagination but the truck runs better. Certainly sounds better. Idk? 

bonylad
12/17/20 9:06 p.m.

Some updates. Had a procedure done which prohibited me from doin to much. 

I did however reinstall the bump stops so it stops slamming into the control arms over bumps.  Yeah!  I did fix the oil leak. It seems on top of the mechanical fuel pump block off, their is a place for a bolt where I had none.  Its more or less a straight shot to the pan, and under load oil can shoot out of there.  It did.  Installed a factory bolt in it with thread sealant and voila.

Also redid the PCV system. Its now functional. PCV on the driver side valve cover with and breather on the passenger side. The front port on the carb is now being used as intended, where the brake booster line is now where it needs to be (on the back).

I further redid the throttle cable setup. It felt notchy at times and I didnt like how it looked. Also pretty sure it wasnt going wide open.  It is now!

I also insulated the fuel lines from and to the carb.

Lastly, I ordered a wooden Edelbrock 1/2 spacer coming to alleviate the likely vapor lock. 

And last pic, for fun.

bonylad
12/28/20 11:18 a.m.

Not ouch to update. I did tidy up some things. Fixed an oil leak. Found another?  Picked up a new air cleaner. Picked up a kit to lean out the 1906 carb.

Not sure but pretty positive I'm gonna clean out all the ac box and tidy up the bay. Will update. Perhaps a burnout vid?

petey
petey New Reader
12/28/20 10:00 p.m.

looking good

ive built 4 S10 V8s and aboot to start another one,an 84 getting a Vortec tree fiddy....youre making it nice and neat,better than 90% of the trashbins out there keep it up

bonylad
12/29/20 6:46 a.m.

In reply to petey :

Thanks Petey!  I certainly am trying. I need shorter spark plug wires for sure to tidy it up. Further as mentioned I plan to remove the heater box and all that mess. Thanks!

bonylad
12/31/20 3:00 p.m.

In efforts to improve engine cooling - both for the short term and coming summer months. I will be attempting to make my own vintage style hood louvers.........oh lord. This cant go wrong?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/31/20 4:07 p.m.

Hopefully your louvers turn out better than mine did!

Loving watching. 

bonylad
1/1/21 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

So far they are seeming to be turning into vents. Ugh. 

bonylad
1/2/21 12:29 p.m.

Well. I originally wanted louvers though somehow it ended up becoming vents. 

Still a rough cut. 

bonylad
1/3/21 11:21 a.m.

Ordered these. Will round the edges and shape them to match as close as I can while allowing overlap to be riveted to the hood 

bonylad
1/8/21 11:09 a.m.

So. I berkeleyed up. Short version is I was roughing out the shape. Slapped them on and realized I messed up the orientation of the vents.

So sure they match shape wise but they aren't supposed to go in the same direction.  Sooooooo.

Yeah proof of concept at the least?  Ordered more to try again. Will cut a little different and the right way as well as round the corners as well.  

bonylad
1/15/21 3:15 p.m.

Done!  

Correctly did another side. 

Drilled holes. 

Installed with rivets. Solid. 

Looks good IMO. Can't wait for them to develop a patina. It's steel but not stainless. Should age nicely. With the hood shut you can feel a positive flow of air out of the louvers. Not much just air flow from the fan pushing air through rad and out the hood. At speed I anticipate it to more pronounced. 

bonylad
1/22/21 5:51 a.m.

So a local guy came through. I had gotten the intake manifold from him and he sold me this. . 

86 iirc 700R4. Out of a Firebird. Reason I'm doin this as I feel something is up with the 4L. Further I want to switch torque converters. So this way I can have a simpler trans. No electrics, just a TV cable and basically fits right in. I will finally have overdrive!  Woohooo!  

Car had like 60k on it. So I will clean it up. Slap a new filter kit and some dexron 6. Hope for the best!

EDIT - Looks to be a later 88 or so 700R4

bonylad
1/24/21 3:18 p.m.

Added patina. 

bonylad
1/31/21 5:30 p.m.

Truck won't be around much longer. But will still be in the family. Wife wants to park in the garage. So I need to make room and have to put the Toro someplace. So. Selling the truck to my dad!  So it's still around but not on site. Using the funds to get a storage building. That way the wife can park in the garage and all the outdoor crap and the Toro can go in the storage building. Will update. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/21 10:01 a.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Put toro in bed of S10. Everybody's a winner.

bonylad
2/2/21 8:57 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Nah. Cant. Wish I could though :)

bonylad
2/3/21 7:09 a.m.

Well, this will serve as the last post for the this project.  I still have the GTI which I will work on updating more so.

GTI Build

The truck is going to my father. So I will see it around still. Actually may have more work to do to it, but for now its moving on. I wanted to say thank you for all the help and input offered by all of you who offered commentary and suggestions.  Much appreciated and I am thankful.  I am glad to be even a small part of this disfunctional family. As I said I will be here working on the GTI so, stay tuned for that.  Once again, thank you to all and see you next build!

Personally,

Chris Dixon

bonylad
2/17/21 12:59 p.m.

Just an update pic. Snuggled next to my dads 65 Impala 396. 

He intends to paint it along with a new hood and wheels. 

bonylad
5/9/21 9:27 a.m.

Back from the dead!  Looks like I'll be getting her back!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
5/13/21 7:07 a.m.

It's funny how these things go sometimes ;)

bonylad
5/25/21 7:14 a.m.

Forgot to post. She's back!  Dad didn't like the hood and to be honest.....I didn't either. So she got a new one!

Ever since I had lowered the truck it leaned to the driver side. I fixed that!  Apparently I not only had the springs in upside down but not aligned. Which I didn't realize. So I fixed that and put some heavier duty shocks on the front. Level now!

Also. Decided I don't plan on running the HVAC. So pulled all that and waiting on a block off plate. Will allow me way more room for activities!  New tires or wheels soon!

Figured out why she's a dog down low. Stock stall and 3.08 gears with a cam that I just found out is too big for the 305........it's fine. I mean once she's up on cam she rolls out!

bonylad
5/31/21 7:58 a.m.

Update. 

Fitted the block off plate. Further mounted the trans dipstick. Most of the dash is out and I'm taking the opportunity to improve the wiring on some things. Cleaning and removing the remains of the HVAC box.  

bonylad
6/21/21 8:52 a.m.

So. Father's Day. I go outside to pull the intake as I discovered my fuel boiling issue is due to the exhaust crossovers still being to in place. Goes smoothly. I figure hey why not pull the valve covers and go through them. 

berkeley. 

Washer drops straight into 7 intake port.  Try to fish it out. No dice. Take a camera and go further. Valves are open. Ya know it did tinkle a lot as it fell. Pull the plug and try to get it that way. My magnet gets it but it's too large to come out. 

E36 M3.

So I gotta pull the heads. But figure since I'm in there I will go ahead and make it better. Going to run .015 compressed head gaskets for a bump in compression. 

Happy Fathers Day boys!

bonylad
6/24/21 7:37 a.m.

Hoping to have this done over the weekend. Thinner headgaskets came in. Woot!

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cwe7ZiIpzH4rbB8TXmE80uWuoMEnVwOwNsA6rdPfTr67ycqaEWBaldhDttdCyFrS