1 2
akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 5:33 a.m.

I have been scavenging old work tables, benches and carts from left over industrial surplus for years slowly cluttering my work space.  This is a problem for me because I always work in old factories and die shops that throw away lots of old machine bases, tool carts etc.

The dream has always been to build a work bench with tool box and welder storage in one unit.  Today I found the perfect top, it's .750" x 46" x 84" HRS.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 5:34 a.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 5:50 a.m.

One glorious plate of high grade dirty old machine base.

This is from an old Countach factory, I hope I don't get sued for building replicars on it.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 5:55 a.m.

This is what I have so far, two tool boxes built into one end with a few inches between them for short steel storage.  12" overhang on the opposite end for clamping stuff, it will also get more holes tapped in it for using setup clamps.

The open area will hold my welder and chop saw.  What to add next?

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/20/20 6:56 a.m.

Anvil!

about the wheels....  I have a very heavy (~500lbs) work table that has wheels.   The bummer is it is almost useless to bend stuff or get serious torque on things because it rolls.   I think I'm going to remove the wheels and even bolt it to the floor so I can do torquey things with it. 

something to think about 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
11/20/20 7:23 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) :

Best of both worlds, but more work, is to put the wheels on a secondary "slide" that lowers with aid of a bottle jack, so that it can be raised to roll around in a moment, but otherwise rests solidly.

Example:

Not sure if you have plans for a vise, but that's a fantastic top/bench to put one on. I have to guess you run across a few of those in your old plant ventures too - and as a fellow Michigander I'm always looking for big old american steel vises too!

wae
wae UberDork
11/20/20 8:01 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

That caster-mounting is genius.  I am totally stealing that for the table saw and outfeed table.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/20/20 8:19 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I put two heavy duty wheels on the back and left the front wheel less .  When I want to move it around I use my floor jack.  That way I can lean on it, hammer on it, torque it, etc and it stays put.  But moving it is a quick floor jack away. 

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/20/20 8:30 a.m.

I like where you are going with that. I am wanting to do something similar to combine my workbench and welding accessories. Having the table flat is really nice so hard mounting things like the vice can interfere with that if you are doing fabrication work bigger than the table. I was planning on using a 2" receiver hitch and mounting my vice, bench grinder and bender on 2" tubing. That way you can have a strong mount when you want to use low frequency tools but they are not in the way.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/20/20 8:35 a.m.

Search "FootMaster" Casters.  I've been using these types in industrial applications for years.

Wheel into position, lower the "leveling pad" and it's now lifted up off the caster.  There's a variety of sizes and capacities.  The one shown below has a capacity (per wheel) of 1,650 pounds and a price of $69 each.  linky to McMaster Carr webpage

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/20/20 9:11 a.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Search "FootMaster" Casters.  I've been using these types in industrial applications for years.

I came here to post the same thing.

However, the big question is how often do you anticipate having to move it?  If it will be infrequent, you can probably delete the casters and just use a floor jack and a couple cheap moving dollies to move it around.

11/20/20 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Awesome info!  Never knew they existed.  I was about to implement the bottle Jack method above (which is a great idea) but I looked around and found some that will work for me. 

here are some links to different sizes:

Papa bears

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0713S3HZ7/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0713S3HZ7p13NParams

Mama bears

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PGFR88N/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07PGFR88Np13NParams

baby bears

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SM8G5CF/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 9:33 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

This was my plan for the other table that I saved from the dumpster.  

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

I'm totally using these.

Updating CAD file...

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/20/20 9:45 a.m.

I spec the mcmaster ones for work fairly often, but didn't know there were cheaper ones on Amazon. My table saw cart thanks you!

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
11/20/20 9:50 a.m.
akylekoz said:

This is from an old Countach factory, I hope I don't get sued for building replicars on it.

laugh Brilliant!

I look forward to seeing this play out. I build my shop tables with HDF tops almost 15 years ago. In that time, I've needed to move them maybe 5-6 times including when I moved house after my divorce. I never regretted not putting casters on it. I find that it not moving when I work on it is a lot more important than mobility. But I didn't know about those footmaster casters. Please share how you like them. I may change my mind about my no caster decision.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 10:02 a.m.

Added magic casters, welder and plasma cutter.  Not my actual welders, I couldn't find a model for a Lincoln 180C and I didn't buy a Plasma cutter yet.  Ultimately they will be on heavy duty drawer slides so I can pull them out to change wire and such.   I work for the place that makes drawer slides for Snap On and high end office furniture.

Ordered steel for the cart portion.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 10:05 a.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

Thanks wink

My shop has everything on wheels, I lack square footage so stuff needs to be able to get out of my way.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 10:06 a.m.

I'll be ordering Papa bears after a Bourbon tonight, just a hunch.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 7:56 p.m.

My steel supplier has lots of pre-cut angles and rounds and targets made out of that shatterproof steel AR500 or something like that.

Holy Balls!  Steel is expensive, I never paid for my own steel before so didn’t really pay attention.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 7:58 p.m.

I now have a pile of steel, a welder and a truck that needs an oil change and some winter tires installed.

11/20/20 8:02 p.m.

I'd put a power strip or two on it and run power to it.   It would be nice to be able to plug in everything you'd want. 

also, consider making the overhang longer so you can get a chair/stool up to it and work at the table with room for your feet. 

a spot for a trash can?

definitely a vise. 

if you're going to keep the welder and plasma there, spots for helmets, goggles, gloves, clamps, etc. and a place for some gas bottles

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 8:16 p.m.

Good ideas.

Apparently we are about to make some sweet drawer slides that bolt in so maybe I’ll just shrink my hammer store cart, mount it on slides, it has provisions for welding gear.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 8:37 p.m.

This is why I change my own oil!   What the L is his, Crustaceans on my pipes!

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/20/20 8:45 p.m.

Turns out the golden rule of roofing applies to cars too, water runs down hill.

Ok this is a $100 special part, but wait it is also a standard $4  3/4” T.   Hmmm what will I do?

Add a gallon of water and wait for a better day that’s what.

This does explain the gurgling noise I just noticed on startup in the morning.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DwC4tYCyFlvvTuPg9d3gs5fsm5EMAdmP4IVUjFOCtUQ5QiSV4l7n9RmbHXMNi0fp