1 2 3
captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
2/2/21 8:20 a.m.

I need something like that for my Playseat Challenge as well. Currently I just put a foldable step stool next to the seat for my beverage of choice. Have you tried to fold up the seat for storage with this added in?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/2/21 8:28 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

I can check once I reinstall tonight.  I think the KB tray would get in the way.  I think if you just turned the pivot into a cupholder only, it would work fine.  The KB tray pops right out once you remove the knob also.

To be perfectly honest, I have not once folded my seat up for storage, but I like that I could if I needed to.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
2/2/21 8:36 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I may look into making something like this, just no need for a keyboard myself. Honestly I don't use my rig often enough to matter, but the idea is now planted.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/2/21 9:08 a.m.

Let me know if you want the cad.  You could print it on paper and just cut it out with a jigsaw fairly easily (and mod the cupholder area as required).  If you are rocking a G25/27/29/920 you only need the top two holes

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
2/2/21 9:15 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I may take you up on the offer. A PDF that's set to scale would be perfect as I happen to work in a blueprint shop. Currently I'm running a Thrustmaster TMX with a bolt on adapter from Ricmotech, but they look to have a similar shape up front.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/2/21 7:22 p.m.

PM me with your email and I'll send you one.

Finished:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/19/21 7:23 p.m.

Some updates:

1)  I think some of my issues with calibration/hitting the corners is the weight of my sled.  I've talked to several people that said they increased the weight of their sleds.  Mine is 23lbs and people are saying 28lbs is about right.

2)  I still need to bring this inside where its warmer and wax the bottom.

3) I switched from either a downcut or upcut bit (note to self, read up on these) to a straight cut bit.  My cuts seem soooo much better now.

I have some lamps I want to make out of old bottles.  Think box with a light bulb inside and the bottoms of beer bottles sticking out the side for light to escape.  I split some bottles and cut this as a test piece.  Beer bottles are actually quite a bit obround.  The OD of one varied from ~2.550 all the way down to 2.510 or so.  

I put the plate up against another light to test how it would look.  I think I need to sand the ext. bottle surface to give them more of a 'frosted' look so they glow a little bit.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/22/21 12:08 p.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/25/21 8:18 p.m.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
2/25/21 8:30 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Dang! That looks pretty slick! I really like those joints; I'd be pleased if I could get a CNC to cut that accurately. Sure beats cutting them all by hand and a straight edge.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/20/21 5:39 p.m.

Experimenting with some deep pour epoxy for some upcoming projects.  Thinking I should have used not-so-deep-pour.  First here has some glass shards in it.  2nd has 1 drop of tint, 3rd has 2, etc.

up close video here:  https://www.instagram.com/p/CMp9Mqal4Op/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/16/21 3:34 p.m.

Small update:

Mostly, I have just been making stuff.  Here is the first epoxy fill lamp experiment.  I have some bugs to work out in the process, but I am fairly pleased with the final product must the stain which is too dark..  This is my son's new nightlight.

Yesterday I added about 2.5lbs to each side of the router to get more effective corner cuts on the bottom left & right, and upper center.  I need to find some heavier bricks or an easier way to add weight to this.

I made an organizer for my sanding discs.

I also made my dog a treat puzzle.  It works great, but he doesn't seem to want to put the effort into figuring it out :(

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/31/21 6:42 p.m.

Made a downdraft table today.  Doesn't work great, but it prevents dust clouds.  The dust that lands on the top can easily be swept into the holes.

I need to add an angled internal baffle to help.

I also trashed a 0.25" bit after only a few hours of use.  I was spinning it too fast and moving the machine too slow.  Now I am using a double-flute up-cut bit which should help with dust ejection, and running the router on the slowest speed.  Better, but I really need to find a single-flute but because I can't slow the router down enough to get proper speeds.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/10/21 8:08 a.m.

Other stuff I made recently:

Cubby organizer things to get my son's toys under control

A failed bookcase cap that became more of just an art project for the boy

Another bottle lamp

A lamp for a friend who likes sunflowers

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/23/21 6:49 p.m.

Any setup tips? Mine is being delivered on Friday

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/24/21 7:34 a.m.

What frame are you using?  What kit?  I didn't want to use the wall brackets because I wanted to have room behind mine for storage.  If I were doing it again, I would do some things different on my frame.  Its best to build in the over-run aprons right from the start if you can.

You will quickly destroy any bits that come with it.  This is the bit I have had the best luck with:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020B0FOI/  I'm running a Bosch router from the recommended list at the lowest speed possible.  My feed rate is 25IPM

What would make it work a lot better is a lower speed router/motor, but honestly I don't want to go down a rabbit hole making improvements - at that point it would make more sense just to get a table instead.

Hopefully your calibration goes smoothly - that was the bumpiest part for me, and I'm still not totally confident in mine.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/24/21 9:25 a.m.

I went basic kit to try it out and see if it will do the job I need (Making molds for fiberglass and carbonfiber parts).

I haven't built the frame yet but have been doing a lot of reading and saw the expanded options and extended top bar. I think I'll go with that. If it works I replace the frame with steel this summer. 

I've had god luck with Ridgid routers in the past so I was going to stick with it. 

This is the overall "Guide" I've been reading: https://www.technicallywizardry.com/upgrade-maslow-cnc-frame-plans/ 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/24/21 9:32 a.m.

Yeah the 12ft top bar seems to make a lot of sense.  I kind of wish I did that from the beginning.  I couldn't do it now without rebuilding my frame.

Basic kit from where?  MakerMade?

I actually tried to go the Ridgid route for the router, but the recommended one was not available.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/24/21 11:16 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

yeah I ordered from MakerMade. Didn't go full M2 though.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/15/22 3:21 p.m.

The mess of controller cables below/around my TV was driving me nuts, so I made a controller organizer:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/30/23 9:54 p.m.

Its been a while since I updated this, but if anyone wants a sketchy hanging CNC router, hit me up.  I'm moving soon and I wont have space for this.  If someone is going to put it to good use, I'm very flexible on price...

ralleah
ralleah GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/23 11:49 p.m.

I'm interested.. and trying to fix the wrong email associated with my account atm. Mind messaging me?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/1/23 7:54 a.m.

You have a pm

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/1/23 9:57 a.m.

I'll slot behind ralleah in the queue

how soon is the move?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/1/23 4:17 p.m.

Movie in is sept 2.  I'll be keeping this place also, but I'd like to get it out of here sooner rather than later 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9NOKNYvZYaZyEXZ5VG5h4AieBBI79MiHfCym3EyyYohUPgkL4Dxozwlim6rMhwkO