1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 37
Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/31/17 11:02 p.m.

I went to Banff/Jasper in 2016. I left thinking i needed to come back with an RV. This thread has made it a certainty. I'm not going back there until i can RV it!

java230
java230 SuperDork
7/31/17 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

The mosquitos were vicious in places! We lucked out with the weather(other than bring hot!) it didn't rain.

There are a ton of rv's up there! Definitely worth going back.

Oh and who are the two GRM'ers on reddit?

Enyar
Enyar Dork
8/1/17 8:29 a.m.

I was just coming in here to say I saw this bad boy on Reddit! Looks good!

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/1/17 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Enyar:

thanks! Ok now who is number two?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
8/1/17 12:27 p.m.

So, the furring strips were glued to the aluminum uprights and then you fastened the wall material to those furring strips?

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/1/17 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

Yes exactly. Glued and screwed to the aluminum. Interior wall was glued and nailed to the ply strips. I think i used 10 quarts of construction adhesive....

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
8/2/17 9:42 a.m.

Did you consider some sort of radiant floor heating with PEX? Unnecessary weight and complexity?

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/2/17 1:18 p.m.

No I didn't, and wish I did. At least run the tubing. A webasto coolant heater and radiant floor heat would have been sooooo nice. At least electric mats (which I found after I put the flooring down....) For ski lots you generally have to buy the hook ups, electric hot floors would be nice.

I want to try to sneak them under still but I doubt it will work, cabinets on top now.

You have probably seen this, but he did the tubing in the floor. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/164588-Back-at-4x4-313CDI-4x4-Sprinter/page2

Also my floor is 3/16" steel plate. Not exactly conducive to heating well....

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
8/4/17 6:20 p.m.

What electric mats are you thinking of?

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/4/17 6:27 p.m.

These ones

AHT Flat Ribbon Floor Heating Mat 120V Size: 20" x 5' (Can not be Cut). Over 30% Savings in Electrical Consumption due to Amorphous Metal Technology and Dense Ribbon Coverage. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTCOS42/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wlqHzbJ5B0244

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/22/17 11:37 a.m.

Shout out to DrBoost! He sent me the correct fuel line for the heater, thanks again! Had about 16" of the clear left.

20170821_174932

So I got around to installing it between the fuel pump and heater last night anyway. Uhhh yeah no good pictures under there, but its clear tubing in place of the rubber.

Still rubber to the tank, not exactly sure how I will get around that one yet, but its only about 24"

20170821_174917

Fired up the heater and it primed much quicker, just two cycles, let it run for a few minutes until it was 92 in the truck.... Yuck!

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/1/17 11:28 a.m.

OK a couple of tiny updates.

Added a cell booster antenna. Will see how that works.

Added a handle to the bed, much easier to lift!

And worked on a backup camera. Huge fail so far.... Its wifi based and I had an old phone I was going to use for the screen. The idea os good, but the transmitter that claims 150m, is more like two. Too much metal I guess, as soon as I walk around the side of the truck it just drops.

Parts

Stuck it all in a tupperware on the back of this panel, tapped the license plate light for power.

It works if you stand behind the truck..... not so helpful. I may berkeley with it later, or just get something different.

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/3/17 1:02 p.m.

Not a bad place to spend a long weekend. Truck runs well, needs a glow plug harness replaced....

And man this thing tows the hole in the water sooo well! Found a little beach to chill on all day.

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/5/17 2:15 p.m.

OK diesel guys, I need some input.

My tuner has some "warnings" built into it.

At 30 PSI it goes yellow, 35 goes red. Is yellow an OK safe pressure for climbing passes etc longer terms. Say 10 mins at a time? (6.4L ford, all stock turbos internals etc)

Same for EGTs, 1200 ish goes yellow, 1400 goes red. AFAIK 1200 was all you wanted to run for short periods. (Stock exhaust minus DPF and Cat, plus 3 additional feet of tubing)

In other news I definately have a LSD of some sort rear end laugh

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
9/7/17 4:47 p.m.

I don't know about the EGT and boost questions, might do some google fu.  

What clearance lights are those?  I want to swap out my giant incandescents, the covers get ripped off by tree branches.  

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/7/17 5:05 p.m.
Petrolburner said:

I don't know about the EGT and boost questions, might do some google fu.  

What clearance lights are those?  I want to swap out my giant incandescents, the covers get ripped off by tree branches.  

The ones on the box?

Just little LED ones that snap with a grommet into a ~3/4" hole. Similar (or maybe the same?) as these https://www.amazon.com/Purishion-Clearence-Indicators-Trailer-Taillight/dp/B01MEG40NI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504821880&sr=8-4&keywords=led+clearance+light

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/25/17 12:16 p.m.

A quick weekend in the woods. 

"fixed" the broken and rattling running board. LWB problems....

[B]Need to check tire pressures, but it felt much nicer this time, I think the rain and traffic filled in a lot of the holes. Washboard was no problem at 30-40mph, the big holes were still jarring if you didn't slow down in time. I rattled one of the lights loose, fixed that yesterday.[/B]

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/17 12:28 p.m.

The conventional wisdom on the internet about the 6.4 is that you will be walking soon.  

You're welcome.

cheeky

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/25/17 12:51 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

The conventional wisdom on the internet about the 6.4 is that you will be walking soon.  

You're welcome.

cheeky

Yes that is the conventional wisdom. I guess I am not conventional.... As much as I would love to have a newer 6.7 truck, it isn't going to happen. They are stupid money compared to the 6.4's. 7.3's are a great motor, but man do the trucks they are in suck (day night night differance between the OBS and the early 200's and the newer trucks), and they are noisy, and fanboi's think a 300k mile truck is worth 35k. 

So yes I have a "time bomb" the motor is a reman (8k ish on it now), and the computer doesn't regen (which IMO is what causes most of the issues). I will drive it for as long as i possibly can! And I hope it doesn't bow up. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/17 7:04 p.m.
java230 said:
A 401 CJ said:

You're welcome.

cheeky

Yes that is the conventional wisdom. I guess I am not conventional.... As much as I would love to have a newer 6.7 truck, it isn't going to happen. They are stupid money compared to the 6.4's. 7.3's are a great motor, but man do the trucks they are in suck (day night night differance between the OBS and the early 200's and the newer trucks), and they are noisy, and fanboi's think a 300k mile truck is worth 35k. 

So yes I have a "time bomb" the motor is a reman (8k ish on it now), and the computer doesn't regen (which IMO is what causes most of the issues). I will drive it for as long as i possibly can! And I hope it doesn't bow up. 

I think it can be a great engine if you take care of it.  BTW, if it's stupid power you want, 6.4 will humble all.  Even the Cummins guys.  That bottom end is STOUT.  Much stronger than even the 6.7.

very nice rig by the way

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/25/17 8:22 p.m.

Thanks! I hope it lasts and I can take care of it. I have a stock of fuel and oil filters already.... 

Yeah I need to look into a custom tune. I have so much wind resistance..... Running the gearboxZ plus tune (+70hp) it seems good, but soots a little and can get hot on climbs, I can keep EGT's under 1k but it takes keeping off the skinny pedal. Thinking I may be able to do better. I don't want crazy power, just reliable. 

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/27/17 8:12 a.m.

One more quick project down. I needed better access to the propane tank. I had a 6" deck plate in the tool box, it was enough to turn the gas on and off, but not fill the tank, I had planned on a remote fill (and may still do that) but I couldn't even get the remote fill parts hooked up without dropping the tank. 

Sooo in comes a bigger hole.

Round corners dont crack as easily. 

Annnnnd door. 

Much better access, I am going to ask my local fill guy if he can work with that rather than the remote fill....

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
9/28/17 5:12 p.m.

That looks great.  The yellow cover is the fill?  I can't see why that wouldn't work.  How many gallons is that LP tank?  Is it enough?  Oh wait, you have diesel heat.  I'm trying to decide if I want diesel heat or Propex and a big ass tank.  

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/28/17 6:36 p.m.

Yep yellow is the fill. It's a 50# tank {11.9G}

As to diesel vs propex, I think it's a toss up. I probably would have gone propex if I was buying it, I had the diesel heater. Two tanks just complicates things, and with the pretty damn big tank I could have gone a long time. Although the propex is a bit bigger than a webasto.

The old truck had a 6 gallon tank, that lasted a week in sub freezing with a 40k btu heater. Along with cooking too, never tan dry, but was getting empty ish. 

java230
java230 SuperDork
10/3/17 9:43 p.m.

OK guys I need some input. Trying to track down the reverse light issue, its dark enough I needed them last weekend.

What I know:
Lights work, Plugged them into the brake circuit and they come on,

Wiring in the ghetto looking Junction box I thought would be the issue looks good.

~.4V to reverse lights in reverse. Same at the trailer reverse light plug.

Fuses good, (Ill check again tomorrow), but they were good last time I looked. Swapped with a similar looking relay, no change.

ghetto block i thought must be the issue 

but neat and waterproof connectors inside....

One thing that was good I learned, the spare tire crank does not work with the large step bumper.... Good to know! Socket had been installed on crank to use with a ratchet.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q8IuIIuaMg0NlKpyoBteM0sJzQoUchrpAUIXM4L2eecrwZO1g0UWqR1P2Qhkg41Q