1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 37
java230
java230 UltraDork
11/27/18 12:04 p.m.

Yeah I think its the cables.... The brakes were definitely off, just was not releasing quite enough to hit the sensor. Good call on getting down there and trying to lube everything.

java230
java230 UltraDork
12/3/18 1:39 p.m.

Waking up after what I can say was the strangest night I have had in awhile..... We rolled in just about 10pm, dumping wet snow, there was a group of three trucks there waiting for one more. I figured that would be the last people we would see of the night.... Nope, about 11pm the UTV's and trucks started coming by, going who knows where, and they didn't stop.... All night long until 5:30 am. I can imagine fueled by nothing more than meth and Bud Light. Yeah dont recommend that spot. 

New tires smooth out the little bumps, big bumps are still bumpy. I averaged ~15 mph probably on this road. 

Made our way back down to the highway and headed up Mt Rainer for a little ski touring! First real long ish tour for us. Did just about 2500 vertical up.

Great ski down!

Tucked into a campground for the night. We were the only people there. It was quiet, thank god.

java230
java230 UltraDork
12/4/18 11:48 a.m.

Looking for input!

I want to bond a solar panel (well mounts) to my roof. The mounts and roof are bare Aluminum (well I have the ABS corner mounts, but reading is making me not want to use them due to ABS being hard to bond to). Panel is ~40lbs. Centered in roof.

Options:

Sika 252, its currently cold, it cure REALLY slow in cold (but I can deal with that). Sika does not want any of their products used in RV/Trailer/Vehicle bonding applications. Sika 252 Data

Tensile strength 435psi, elongation at break 400%, tensile lap strength 360psi

3m 5200, cure faster when cold, does not like UV (but the bond area is not exposed to UV?) does not bond to ALU as strongly. 5200 Data

Tensile 705psi, elongation 762%, overlap shear on Alu 393psi

Weldmount AT-6030, weld substitute structural acrylic. Fast cure, does not like low temps. Weldmount Data

Lap shear on alu 2800psi, elongation 100-125%,

Six10 Epoxy, not as flexible, slow cure (faster than 252) in cold six10 Data

Tensile 6440 psi, elongation 7.9%

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
12/4/18 12:41 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Weldmount looks best.  Wait for a warmish day and do it.  That's the method I would use for solar panels too, aluminum angle attached via adhesive instead of rivets or screws.  

java230
java230 UltraDork
12/4/18 12:49 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

Dry+warm doesn't happen this time of year..... I need a bigger shop!

Sika is the "go to" for RV folks, but I like the weldmount also, just not sure how much flexibility I really need.

java230
java230 UltraDork
12/6/18 4:01 p.m.

Well my heat set up didnt work much without the panel in place. Roof was just above freezing.... Checked this morning and I think the air gap under the panel is helping, there was no frost at the back edge of the blankets!

Sand all the mounting areas, wipe with acetone, wipe with acetone and wipe with acetone. Apply primer, wait 15 mins for flash off.

Panel set in place to figure out spacing. I could not use the center mounts(the palstic ones), too much curve in the roof. So I cut and pre drilled some alu angle.

Bonded the entry gland in place also. I put it in the back over the "storage area" easy place to get wires in, and best possible spot to have a leak in the worst case scenario. Threw some heat packs on it to try to keep it warm.... Covered in a few towels.

Blankets and tarped for the night, heat cranked inside and roof fan on :D

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
12/7/18 1:16 p.m.

How'd it work?

java230
java230 UltraDork
12/10/18 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

I ripped my test piece (been in the garage) apart yesterday..... Its setting up, slowly..... I would say 1/4" is set around the edges, still wet in the middle on a 2x2 sample. The bead I layed on top of the alu seems fully cured, but between pieces its not. (and I will say the bead peeled off the alu pretty damn easy.....) Will probably leave the panel off until last minute before xmas. I really don't need that ripping off on the freeway.

Friday night was spent on a random FS road up in BC. Quiet and dark. Slept well, no traffic, no UTV's :D

And finally some snow!!!!

First time up the Sea to Sky highway on the singles, took the twisties like a champ.

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/7/19 1:07 p.m.

Wrap up from a busy last couple of weeks! 

Got some great snow, spent 11 days straight in the truck. 

Couple nights at Whistler.

Dog and lunch time. Bumper BBQ is awesome.

New tires are working well, rub like hell in the front on the drivers side.... I think Bushwacker cut outs are in order.

Stayed in Bend at Mt Bachelor for a few days. Great snow! Then Blizzard when we tried to leave. 

Skinned up the Cone for some fresh turns

Dont leave the storage door cracked open..... (I have a temp sensor in there so I usually just leave it unlatched) Drifted inside it...

Dog Snuggles. 

Not bad after a WINDY night. Sled drove me nuts flapping around.

Morning to leave.....ICE, a lot of ice on everything and howling winds.... Good thing we weren't skiing that day!

Crap tastic drive over the passes by Mt Hood. Semis jacknifed on the road, up and down hill, guy with a big enclosed snowmobile trailer between them, and the snow was POLISHED. And... the plows had not gone by to sand yet..... Idled down in first gear, but that was a nail biter.

Stopped for lunch on the downhill side.

Made it home just fine after that. But I blew the truck up..... Somehow an exhaust stud in the EGR crossover pipe broke off. Stopped at a rest area, and maybe the heat/cool cycle did it, but either way, massive squealing exhaust leak now.... Its going to the shop, will get up pipes and the big oil leak done too. Hard to drive right now though, cant make boost well, so EGT go up, slow down, more load.... Yeah.

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/28/19 10:05 a.m.

Finally back in the truck. All the up pipes are done, the EGR crossover pipe was blown too. Does not drive much different, EGT's are about 50 degrees cooler or so, but is MUCH quieter in the cab! All the turbo noises come out the back now it seems. 

So diesel guys, now that I have my leaks fixed..... Is it wroth going to a 4" side exit? Will I find any realistic efficiency gains? I have a 4" DP and 4" pipe where the DPF was, but then necks down the the 3.5" OE from there back.

Great day. We skied, a lot.

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/28/19 10:08 a.m.

57mph on skis?? Impressive!

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/28/19 11:01 a.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

Yep, my fat ones too! 63.4mph is my fastest in the last few years.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/19 11:42 a.m.

looks like fun.   not *my* kind of fun, as i don't like cold weather (LOL 26 years in Detroit)

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/28/19 2:21 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

It was pretty warm really! Just under freezing..... And warm inside :D

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/11/19 11:58 a.m.

Snowmageddon has happened..... Seattle got 8" of snow and the world has ended.....

So we went skiing.

It was COLD, like -6 cold. But that makes for amazing snow!! 10-12" of the lightest fluff you can imagine.

Tired legs....

Snow was good enough we stayed another day. Wind packed it pretty hard in spots overnight unfortunately. But we ran into some old friends and the kids got to play all night.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/SyEt7W]

Waited till everyone left the ski area, and headed home. Uneventful drive in the snow the whole way. Parked safely back at home. 

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/14/19 9:48 a.m.

enjoyed watching the evolution of this rig.  and the variety of dutch oven cooking is making me both jealous and hungry!

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/14/19 1:21 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq :

Thanks, haven't tried the DO in the snow yet..... Maybe I should!

Today's project, rear tow points. These will bolt directly to the frame rails, giving me great tow points in the rear, something I am missing. 

Started with a 3' piece of 1x6 steel.

Cold saw is awesome.

Layout. Pretty simple.

Big hole cutter, just picked this up, needed 1.5" hole and was not confident that a hole saw would work. Run it at the right rpm and this this is awesome! More or less a mini annular cutter that fits a drill press.

Drill the frame side holes, I under sized them so they can be reamed to final size in place, that way there is no slop on the bolts between the frame and the tow points. Trim the corners off.

After a little grinder and file time they are good to go. I wish I had a mill so I could round the edges for soft shackles, but such is life. No I am not grinding all the mill scale off! :D

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/19 1:29 p.m.

What did that hole cutter set you back?  $80?  I'm just basing it on the cutter I bought from Summit to machine heads for valve seals.  Different animal I know.  It was $65 and less impressive of a cutting tool than your's.  

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/14/19 1:37 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

$65.96 plus tax from my local Tacoma Screw.

Don't believe it when it says 1" depth of cut though.... 3/4" is realistic. I had to flip the part, but the centering bit was through so it wasn't hard. Well worth the $$ since that is almost what 2 carbide tipped hole saws would have been. And it does not seem dull at all yet.

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/19/19 3:19 p.m.

Old bolts beat into place to line things up, new grade 8's going in. Reamed each hole in place with a 1/2" drill, that sucked. A lot.

Bolted and torqued.

Beefy!

Got out for a day of skiing too. These mornings are so worth it.

Survivable? :D

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/22/19 11:28 a.m.

Looks good sticking through that diamond plate  

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/23/19 2:03 p.m.

Truck continues to deliver. So much awesomeness. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/15/19 11:24 a.m.

Played ski chalet again.

Time for the new awning, this one is a Thule, found on my favorite buying place, CL. Its 1.5' longer, and extends out 2' more than the old one. Makes a huge difference!

Old one off. Its light without all the guts in it....

Of course the mounts are in different locations..... So patch up the old holes with some stainless hardware and some sealant. Don't mind the scratches.... Was not real careful when cutting the vinyl off.

New one on. Its maximizing the space, hangs over the window frame in the front and its just inside the rear wall.

Lots more shade!

Next up, rock lights, parking in the dark in rocky camp spots is interesting.... I have bottomed out and scraped the fuel tank a couple times, lights should be handy as its starting to be roll into unknown camps late at night season!

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/18/19 1:18 p.m.

One more weekend down. Weather was gorgeous, feels like spring!

Skied all night again.

And realistically probably our last real ski day for this year. Its been a good one! I forgot the tracker for two days and I think one skin also, so we hit 30 days this year and almost 400k vertical.

And what happens when you get a new vinyl cutter and are bored and want to try something big? :)

Bring on Spring!

simon_C
simon_C Reader
3/18/19 4:56 p.m.

Could you put a set of windshield wipers on the solar panel to clear snow buildup?

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LV711hrVwQxrQLS52mDDLeSFBKyogfQtifZdIfcQzhV7CdIBketbpVYUBv4ggbk2