1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 37
java230
java230 UltraDork
3/18/19 9:01 p.m.

In reply to simon_C :

Interesting idea! I could I'm sure, but it would need 100% coverage really. Shading will kill all the output. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
3/19/19 8:23 a.m.

I’d be worried about scratching up that cover on the cells and causing it to haze over...

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/19/19 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

That could be a valid concern also oh, I think it's glass, so it should hold up a little bit better.

So far I have just been climbing up there with a broom. Simple and slightly sketchy :) 

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/20/19 10:08 a.m.

More little projects getting wrapped up!

This has been a wire poking out of the wall for two years.... Finally its an outlet!

And caulked the floor in, have been meaning to do this forever....And should have before winter.... But its (almost) done now!

And cut some trims, and threw some finish on them.

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/22/19 11:56 a.m.

Rock lights! Super handy for trying to find parking spot among boulders, especially with a long wheel base. I really liked the "puddle" lights I had under the box by the steps, so I figured I would add more! But the marker lights I used before would not work well there (under the running boards) so I got some more little waterproof cheap LED's and went to town. Sooooo much tedious wiring on your back!

I wanted these switched on from the cab, so I used the smallest upfitter switch, and wired them into that circuit. However I wanted to use the previously installed "puddle" lights also, but not have everything turn on when those where on, so I backfed that circuit with a diode between them. Perfect, cab switch turns everything on, the switch in the back only turns on the ones by the steps.

Cheap LED's

Unceremoniously glued in place.

And wala, UFO status. The other side looks the same, minus the one behind the rear wheel.... Ran out of wire! There is miles of it under there.

Next up was trim install. A little glue, some micropin nails, boom. Wish I could get the screen mold in S3S1E, but whatever, its done. Could not get it in the oak easily. Covers the caulk joint and clean up the bottom edge nicely.

And since I was feeling ambitious..... The lip on this shelf has been a scrap of 3/4 ply for ever.... Now its a proper nice piece of maple.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 12:10 p.m.

i love when this thread is on page 1

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/22/19 1:14 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Thanks! Its getting down to little stuff now :D

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/25/19 11:43 a.m.

Climbing time this weekend! A wee bit muddy, needed 4x4 to get up there..... But it feels like spring!

fun to be out on real rocks again.

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/1/19 1:35 p.m.

Another great weekend!

Half way up!

Vertigo? :)

Headed back down

And the solar is GREAT! Battery was back to 100% before 11 or so.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/19 10:01 p.m.

You’re crazy

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/24/19 3:19 p.m.

New awnings is Good! Fit and finish seems better than the old one. And its much larger.

But..... I need a bigger solar controller. Mine maxes out far too easily in the summer sun. 15A charging rate. Anyone want a nearly new Victron 75|15? It would be good for a 200W system. 220w is its max useable, it throttles back after that.

Good weekend none the less.

The wheels have rubbed on the back of the fender wells at certain turn angles. Bushwacker cut out flares remove about 2.5" of fender right there. After install I am not super sold on them, I may try to wrap them back to the grey color, but we will see. May just need to get dirty :D

Remove fender liner and OE over fenders and mark out cut.

Ruin perfectly good fender.

Beat back into fender ish shape (it all gets covered, dont worry!)

Hose liberally with black spray paint in your choice of brand flavor.

Test fit flare, find it needs massaging, massage, then drill a bunch more holes in an already ruined fender.

Now reinstall the fender liner per the Bushwacker instructions, "reinstall" They fail to mention that it wont fit since we just moved the back of the arch back 3", so bolt the front bits in place, since they fit then get out the leather gloves and plubming torch. Melt fender liner until you can convince it to get longer and kinda fit again.....

Now install the flare.

Much wider. 

Now like I said, not sure I am sold, maybe its the black, or the size, but it makes the wheels look smaller (larger opening?) and the wheels are pretty tucked inside the fender now. (I like flush....) But being wider they may keep my mirrors cleaner which could be nice.

Stopped to pull neighbor out of the ditch.... And continued with projects.

Ran Air lines for the front bags into the cab, flex sheathing used, and fuel tubing slipped over where it passes thru sheetmetal.

Big ass relay added in the compressor power line. Plan is to use running lights to trigger it, yeah a little ghetto, but I have ZERo desire to run a ignition switched line front to back now. I always drive with lights on, so compressor should have power any time engine is running.

Re did all the plumbing on the compressor, no wonder it leaked down over night, factory fittings were all pretty loose. Removed the regulator, added a T for the outlet to the bag controls. 

And all ran out the floor, including a new drain fitting!

Need to run the feed to the cab, and hook the bags to the controls, and get the interior back together.... Tonight....

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/26/19 10:02 a.m.

Bags are plumbed..... But one of the switches itself is leaking, thru the body..... Grrrr it appears it's thru the fill side at least, so it should just empty the compressor.... Fingers crossed.

Ghetto fabulous drain valve. But easy to dump compressor often is a good thing!

Also got my new radio installed. Kinda pissed..... GPS wont lock with it under the A pillar. They updated the GPS chipset in the newer model..... I bought cheap and used.... grrrr. Hope I can get it to work.

Radio body tucked away.

Head unit where it cant see the sky apparently.....

Well letting the radio think all day while I was at work seemed to get a lock. Not a great lock, but hopefully it works. That may be a PAINFULLY slow GPS chipset.

But I now have a dual band, dual transmit/receive radio, which lets me just run APRS on B band and talk as needed on A band. A does digital also, have not even played with that in the slightest. I think this location will work, just on a magnetic phone mount.

This also happened. Upgraded to a much larger solar controller, 50A max charge current now. Will support a second large panel if I want to go that route. And while I was down there, I realized I can keep the old smaller one for my little portable panel. I already have it wired up for a connection in the drivers side tool box. Redundant systems, and can park in the shade and still make a little power if I want.

And the front bags held pressure, which is good, that means the switch is leaking from the feed side only!

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/2/19 10:27 a.m.

Maintenance time! 127k miles now.

Air filter.... Well that looks dirty compared to a new one.... White balance of my camera makes it look worse than it is, but still. Its noticeably heavier.....

Did the primary fuel filter also, no pics as I was covered in diesel.... But I don't like the Wix filter, its a little different design than OE. Will probably swap it for an OE one shortly.

Thoughts on snorkel? I have been thinking of DIY'ing one.... Not sure how much it would help, nor am I sure 4" would flow enough (thats what the Aussies are using on the newer Ford snorkels tho)

Along these lines, Donaldson Top, 4" tube, hopefully less bends on mine.

Now for some data that may or may not be useful. Trying to size pre cleaner and tube.....

This one says 1187CFM

This one says 19K CFM.... (using the VE plugged from above since I have zero clue)

This one says 1377 USING 45PSI as a target.

CFM for pipe sizing in dust collectors, low pressure high volume, intake would be similar? No idea what kind of FPM an intake velocity is tho.

Or a calculator for compressor systems, I just plugged 1psi in?

Or going backwards, intake velocity would need to be ~200FPS to flow 1400CFM through a 4" pipe.

Any more thoughts from smarter people?! :D

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
5/2/19 7:05 p.m.

Great build and it looks like you are putting some miles on it as you go ,

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/3/19 9:35 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Great build and it looks like you are putting some miles on it as you go ,

Thanks! Definately adding the miles, we have put about 25k on it now.

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/3/19 2:03 p.m.

I cut it open. I was holding A LOT of dirt!

Look at the bench under where I cut it... Second pic is a pleat opened up on the engine side. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/4/19 3:48 p.m.

Ok diesel guys..... I'm smoking! Why?? 

Symptoms :

Low throttle under 2k rpms it billows smoke. Black smoke. 

I can make it smoke at any speed by stabbing throttle. 

Changed fuel and air filters. No obvious boost leaks (visual inspection not pressure test). 

Reinstalled the tune, went back to stock and reinstalled. 

No codes. 

I think it's over fueling. Just not sure why! Stuck injector? 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/4/19 7:06 p.m.

I can't see any benefit to the snorkel.  If I were you I'd go camping and climbing on the weekend you planned to make a snorkel.  Seems like a better use of time.  laugh

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/5/19 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

Yeah that's kinda what I have decided too.... 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/8/19 1:01 p.m.

Search for the issues.....

EBP pulled, clean.

MAF cleaned.

MAP pulled, dirty, cleaned and reinstalled.

No changes.

Boost leak tester made, need bigger compressor, would only hold pressure for 15 seconds or so (leaks past valves) but no major leaks found.

Next up EGR valve. Well if it wasn't the issue it is one now.... Valve broke in half. They are a tight fit in the bore and known to galvanize themselves in place.... Ford has a special tool designed, that apparently just breaks too. No amount of beating could even make it turn or budge.

Good news is I grabbed the valve plunger with vice grips and pulled it closed and it seems to run a bit better, still a little smokey but better. So go to pull the whole intake elbow off that houses the EGR valve so I can attack it from the inside too. And the last bolt strips..... Wish me luck. Of course its the one you cant reach..... New elbow ordered.

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/9/19 10:03 a.m.

Everything EGR related has fallen off. Parts pile is big.... Waiting for new parts to arrive to be installed. You have to stand on top of the engine, bend all the way over (after hitting your head on the hood repeatedly) and stuff your arms all the way to the shoulder to reach the bolts you cant see. Great..... Sawzall helped remove the coolers.....

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/14/19 3:12 p.m.

Parts are in. New intake elbow and block off plates!

Spent a few minutes with the die grinder cleaning up the crappy casting marks in the elbow. Probably good for .001 HP :D

Its all back together! Just need to fill the coolant, check for leaks and go for a drive.... 

Also got a dedicated truck saw. No stink! 

Azryael
Azryael New Reader
5/14/19 4:11 p.m.

This is such a cool build!

I've had dreams of putting together a similar vehicle to go touring the great outdoors when time allows, but I'm stuck in the 9-5 office job life for a while...

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/14/19 4:20 p.m.

What is the dedicated truck saw?  Electric chainsaw?  There's no picture showing for me.  

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/14/19 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

Somehow I missed that URL....

But yes! 40V Greenworks chainsaw, 14" bar. Hopefully it works well! Comes recommenced from a friend who has had one for a bit over a year now.

1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4vp73QoNsESkAtMN5tEGDpI9liJg8AsES5WVVAZrO5ZyFM7at3XP8Ou3RNUf9MdO