1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 60
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/10/20 11:23 a.m.

The quality of the restaurant food largely depends on who runs the business.

There are some FANTASTIC Mexican restaurants in town, and some not so good ones.

When I first moved here, I asked around for good Chinese food, having come up from Vancouver. Folks recommended a restaurant to me, which I tried out.

It would have been good Chinese food if your idea of "Good Chinese Food" is from a roadside truck stop at 100 Mile House.

Surprisingly, some of the best street tacos I had locally were at a hole-in-the-wall running inside the local Rona hardware store, operated by a Mexican family. They ended up losing the spot, and opened a Taco Truck.

There is a local East Indian restaurant where their Butter Chicken takes suspiciously like Campbell's Soup, and another one where when you leave you're surprised you're not actually in Bombay.

It really depends on who's running the restaurant.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/10/20 12:10 p.m.

I used to work for some really nice Indian folks and the boss' wife would make me butter chicken.

Her secret ingredient was campbells tomato soup.

Also, butter chicken isn't Indian food. It's British food.

Sorta like Chop Suey is American food.

7/10/20 2:46 p.m.

Really?

Ugh.

I hate the Campbell's taste.

My wife uses a Butter Chicken recipe from an Indian lady at church who does catering. No Campbells.

And I understand most (if not all) of our "Mexican Food" is "American" too.

Canadian foods are what, poutine, bannock, green pea soup, smoked salmon, salt cod?

Hmmm.  Googled this:

https://www.hostelworld.com/blog/best-traditional-canadian-food/

I have not had Caesars (I don't drink). I also have not tried Maple Taffy or the Nova Scotian Lobster Roll.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/10/20 2:59 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Let us not forget the ever famous McDees entre. In TWO berkeleying languages no less! Take that you Southern-Fried Hillbillies!wink

And Fiddleheads. Gotta have Fiddleheads.

and if you have not had a Ceasar just cause you dont drink, well it might be time to start: Caesars are a fully balanced Multi-Ethnic- Surf- and- Turf based meal AND a mind wasting beverage all in one. No better way to say "I am prepared for whatever the second half of 2020 brings along". Traditionally served in the Eskimo Inuksuk presentation for best effect.

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
7/10/20 3:09 p.m.

Whoa, that is as beautiful as it is heart attack inducing!

I can’t think of a better way to prepare your mind (and liver) for the end of days...

My daughter found a great recipe for Butter Chicken Meatballs (no Campbells).  And then I found one for homemade Naan bread.  So good!

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
7/10/20 3:37 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Let us not forget the ever famous McDees entre. In TWO berkeleying languages no less! Take that you Southern-Fried Hillbillies!wink

And Fiddleheads. Gotta have Fiddleheads.

and if you have not had a Ceasar just cause you dont drink, well it might be time to start: Caesars are a fully balanced Multi-Ethnic- Surf- and- Turf based meal AND a mind wasting beverage all in one. No better way to say "I am prepared for whatever the second half of 2020 brings along". Traditionally served in the Eskimo Inuksuk presentation for best effect.

That aint real you photoshoped that effen mess me thinks........

In reply to NOHOME :

After all the grease, I don't think the alcohol would hit too hard.  Probably there more for hydration.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/10/20 5:17 p.m.

The grease helps the carbs slide through.

That Caesar is an abomination to the proper cocktail. It's just like a Bloody Mary but there's clam juice in it.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/10/20 5:33 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

You just cant go too far with a Ceasar. If you are already accepting of drinking tomatoe and clam juice, there is no limit to what else you will do under the influence of booze

7/10/20 7:46 p.m.

The whole spin-off this thread is taking isn't inspiring me to start drinking......

:)

Custom turbo manifolds beat drinking any day!  Stay the course!

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/10/20 11:07 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

The whole spin-off this thread is taking isn't inspiring me to start drinking......

:)

It's usually drinking that inspires build threads, not the other way around.

7/11/20 12:19 p.m.

Dining room done.  Kitchen next.

Old and Busted:

New Hotness:

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
7/12/20 1:39 p.m.

That looks really nice!  Well done.  

7/13/20 6:45 p.m.

Tube flare nut thingies arrived so I can do fuel feed and return hard lines and be able to connect them to AN fittings. I'll be picking a roll of 1/2" feed and 3/8" return from LordCo.

Also bought some (brass? steel?) screen door rollers to fabricate my own tubing straightener.  Can't be that hard to do.

Kitchen has ceiling paint and I did the same casework around the "doorways." I didn't get a "before" picture, but here is an "in progress" picture.  The 80's called and wanted their yellow paint back.

The new paint is called "Maui Mist" (Behr) and it a white with a hint of mauve/blue.  You really need a blue to accent the orange of the Oak, not yellow.  Yellow makes it look sickly. The unpainted far wall will get the same gray (Behr's "Silver Bullet") that was in the dining room, which also has a hint of mauve/blue to it (you can see spots of it over mud repairs).

The gray might go on tonight, but more likely tomorrow.

I can see that the counters really need replacing too, but that's how this snowballs....

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
7/13/20 7:17 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

Dining room done.  Kitchen next.

Old and Busted:

New Hotness:

VERY well done!!!!!!! .......my bad on hijacking....wink

7/17/20 4:07 p.m.

The one unpainted wall in the kitchen is still unpainted, because it continued down into the family room.  Of which I've just finished painting the ceiling.

Which brings me to my service announcement:

Kilz Original Primer does a fantastic job of sealing 1970's textured popcorn ceiling for paint.

That is all.

7/28/20 11:28 p.m.
Old & Busted:

New Hotness:

7/28/20 11:30 p.m.

Also, the family room:

7/28/20 11:32 p.m.

Curtains should be arriving Thursday, but I'm anxious to get this done and back onto the '61.

Laundry room:

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/20 7:43 a.m.

I like what you did with the fireplace wall

7/29/20 9:18 a.m.

I want to replace all the windows next year, and all the carpets the year after that. Then the silly wood hearth in front of it will be gone, and carpeted all the way up.

7/29/20 5:12 p.m.

Another kitchen "before" and "after"

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/29/20 7:51 p.m.

Your house looks great. Mine is still in drywall and subfloor. Hopefully starting paint tomorrow. I'm Sick of house repairs right now... this was a very much unplanned renovation. 

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3nCCdsGe3RF9TPqT70FRWj8R67a1UtADOIS7yVxpWQBHLERWdfZDAPUQn7f8hQKh