1 2 3 4 5 ... 60
Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/18 9:17 p.m.

I love it.  I spent a bunch of time driving one of those around.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
8/18/18 10:12 p.m.

Picked up a 6.0L LS and a 4L80E complete with ECU and harness for $1000 CDN ($765 US at today's exchange). Ran when crashed into. Delightful price.  Pick up one of these and then check out Sloppy Mechanics and tell me you don't get inspired.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/18/18 10:26 p.m.

We're putting a supercharged 6.0 LS truck engine into a Beaumont at work right now.

When I was researching what the stock bottom end of these engines could handle, I came across a Super Chevy article where they managed to get around 1500hp out of it before it spat out a connecting rod. I think they were using an eBay twin turbo kit and spray.

That's with those tiny stock pistons with almost no skirt on them too.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/18/18 10:36 p.m.

Do you have the link to that article?  Sounds like a saucy read.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/18/18 11:08 p.m.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1711-how-much-boost-can-a-6l-ls-truck-short-block-take/

Sorry. My mistake. The smaller engines used CXRacing turbos, this used Borg Warner turbos.

No spray, just 1400hp at 28psi!

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/18/18 11:08 p.m.

Oh you lucky bastard. I've been keeping an eye on those and prices are stupid! That's a steal.

Looks like the harness is uncut too?

Did your success with the TBI tuning tip you towards the LS?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/18/18 11:29 p.m.

The LS was a significant plan for the '61.

I -have- a Vortec 350 I got for free because it made a ticking noise and the dude thought it was a 305.  But once I got it apart, I found it spun two rod bearings. I get a crank and a couple rods and fix it..... but at that point why not build a stroker? But that that point, why not just move up from 1955 and go LS. The Vortec is still on a stand at work.

I also have a late 700R4 (4L60 non-E) on a shelf that ran when I pulled it, but to make it handle decent power, you're going to spend some serious coin. I want to run boost. So it's still on a shelf. Truthfully, I wanted a stick, but if I boost the 6.0, I may not have a stick for long.  Even the TKO600 -may- not last as long as I want behind a 600+hp LS.

TBI tuning on the V8 Firefly was just because it's what I had, and I didn't want to spend lot sof money on a car I'm going to sell next year. It was good to dabble a bit in OEM ECUs, though things have increased in complexity significantly since 1988. I am reasonably confident I can work my way through this ECU when the time comes.  Failing that, I still have an MSII-PCBv3.0 on a shelf, but then I'd have to find some way to control the trans. With this (and yes, the harness is un-cut, though some connectors got broken), I'm solid.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/7/18 7:06 p.m.

Pulled the harness off the LQ4 6.0 just to help tidy up the drivetrain and make the motor more manageable. I'd -like- to hide all the wiring when it comes to the install, but that's a ways a way from now. I labeled all the plugs I could ID with black and silver Sharpies.

Shortened the van oil fill tube and dipstick.

Popped the fan clutch off since I want to go Electric. Also turned the motor over by hand - has what I think is reasonable compression. Nothing strange to report.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
10/8/18 7:32 a.m.

Looks like it'll be a fun truck. From what I've seen the 4l60's take as much if not more coin to make handle power as the 700r4's. 4l80/Th400 gets my vote. Plus with boost you can run a numerically low gear ratio because it's going to make all kinds of torque, won't need stupid 4.10's to get it out of the hole. 

Couple of my friends did the turbo LS thing a few years back with excellent luck. Excited to see this one come together!  

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/8/18 11:09 a.m.

My "squarebody utility trailer" has a 3.07:1 12-bolt under it.  I'm figuring swapping that into the '61, and swapping the '61's HO32 under the trailer just to keep it useable. While a 3.07 is pretty high, I'm sure it will be fine (especially with boost) and still get decent cruising mileage. I can always change the gears. The talk on the boosted LS forums are 3.23 or 3.42 tops.

I'm trying REALLY hard not to order the "Sloppy Stage II Cam" and just keep the cam stock. Keeps costs down, and less snowball of springs/converter/gears/tuning to make it work. At least, that's the plan. It will never see the track.

You can see the 4L80E in the left of the picture above. The TransGo HD2 kit arrived, I just need to flip it over and install it.  I'm debating about pulling the trans apart and installing the internal parts that came with the kit, and if so I might as well machine the direct piston for another friction and steel. Then I might as well dual-feed it internally instead of the more restrictive shift kit method.  And thus the snowball begins.....

(Or I'll just do the kit, and then go inside once I smoke the trans).

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
10/8/18 11:20 a.m.

Thumbs up, sounds like you're all over it. 

I'm quite certain with a stock valve train the thing will make more power than you know what to do with. If you ever get bored at that level, sloppy stage 2 cam and PAC springs, or brian tooley, or whoever you prefer. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/18 11:30 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

if you're counting ballots, count mine for Stock Cam.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
10/8/18 5:55 p.m.

I vote elevens before the snow gets too deep.......then attend to all that other rigamarole in the confines of your heated grosh in the dead of winter......... 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/24/18 7:57 p.m.

I just learned that there is a tariff thingie for Canada Customs - many replacement parts can be had duty-free for vehicles older than 25 years. Memorandum D10-15-20

Does not allow my freshly ordered turbocharger kit to be duty-free, but I'm sure the hoards of parts I'll be ordering from LMC will qualify.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/25/18 7:06 a.m.

pretty much anything I have shipped over the border is marked "Antique Car Parts"

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/18 12:04 p.m.

Hmm, I've never paid duty on car parts, and I drive down to North Dakota and haul car parts across about every 3 months. I just tell them they're car parts and pay the tax. I just looked it up and I guess only parts made in NAFTA countries are exempt, but I've never been asked or volunteered the origin of the parts.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/27/18 12:18 p.m.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/27/18 12:22 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

yes yes

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/27/18 12:26 p.m.

Kit came with turbo, blow off valve, waste gate, intercooler, 3" piping, couplers, oil feed and drain, v-band flanges, T4 flange.  Should be good for an easy 550-650hp to the wheels (probably the lower end, because I want to run the stock cam).

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/27/18 9:19 p.m.
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
11/28/18 5:40 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

My "squarebody utility trailer" has a 3.07:1 12-bolt under it.  I'm figuring swapping that into the '61, and swapping the '61's HO32 under the trailer just to keep it useable. While a 3.07 is pretty high, I'm sure it will be fine (especially with boost) and still get decent cruising mileage. I can always change the gears. The talk on the boosted LS forums are 3.23 or 3.42 tops.

I'm trying REALLY hard not to order the "Sloppy Stage II Cam" and just keep the cam stock. Keeps costs down, and less snowball of springs/converter/gears/tuning to make it work. At least, that's the plan. It will never see the track.

You can see the 4L80E in the left of the picture above. The TransGo HD2 kit arrived, I just need to flip it over and install it.  I'm debating about pulling the trans apart and installing the internal parts that came with the kit, and if so I might as well machine the direct piston for another friction and steel. Then I might as well dual-feed it internally instead of the more restrictive shift kit method.  And thus the snowball begins.....

(Or I'll just do the kit, and then go inside once I smoke the trans).

Just to tempt you a bit....I drove my friends Datsun 510 Wagon yesterday compete with chinese turbo and Sloppy stage 2 cam with valve springs.  He went with the 4l80e for strength. At only 7lbs of boost, it was brutally quick.  The plan is to turn it up to 14! We built the whole thing on a budget. I highly recommend the Sloppy Mechanics recipe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj5w0CKoZzo

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/29/18 12:16 a.m.

I've been studying this all for a while, trying to formulate my exact plan.

On one hand, I think I should open up the ring gaps to .028 and fuel it for the potential of 1000hp.

On the other hand, running a 2bar MAP would allow about 14psi boost and still have good resolution for daily driving.

On another hand, I want reasonable reliability, and some semblance of economy.  I also don't really want another high-stall converter in a daily driver, and the deep gears to match.

I've been toying with the idea of the Sloppy Stage I....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/29/18 12:38 a.m.

Though THIS website and dyno test suggests the Sloppy Stage II cost nothing in bottom end....

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/14/18 9:15 p.m.

Not that I have enough tire on the 'V' now to handle the 'stock' setup.....this cam is quite interesting....thanks

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/18 8:20 a.m.

You found Sloppy Mechanics?  Bah ahaha.  I’m gonna sue these guys for causing my divorce.  Wife says I spend too much time on YouTube.

The only thing that could get me off YouTube is if I lived in BC.  I visited my 23rd country this year (been in 45 states too) and the whole BC, western Alberta, Washington, Oregon, and northern Idaho is the absolute most beautiful part of the world I’ve seen.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q9vNEEXnlQ7vzrL6MR6NhW1PiHqkwA6kgCExtszbCgsHueK4zje2XbiaTGAqhTPU