1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 60
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/18/22 9:12 p.m.

I had big plans for this 4-day weekend, but Easter, pops, in-laws, brother, brother-in-law.  Grrrr.  Not much done.

Masked the truck in anticipation of spraying jambs, but I'm going to try and blast a bunch more stuff so I can have a 7-day primer window, and hit as much with the 14-day-open-can-of-hardener-window as I can - hopefully jambs, under hood, inner fenders, bumper, grill, heater box, and whatever else my hand finds to do.

4/24/22 1:12 a.m.

I had recently seam-sealed the cab. Today I spot-primed the seams, straightened a wee defect in the bumper and then sand-blasted it as well as the passenger inner fender, and then primed them.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/24/22 4:35 p.m.

I must say way back when that you declared 'patina' wasn't to be a part of this effort, I was disappointed. This had it in spades. This BAD BOY ROCKS!!! Are those rims staying on this also?

4/24/22 5:11 p.m.

Those rims stay.  Have not decided on colour for them yet.  Possibly just body colour. Possibly the body "off white." Possibly body colour center with off-white hoop giving the impression of whitewalls.

I still debate whether I should have kept the patina or not.  But, the amount of rust repair it needed would have required a TON of "faking" the patina to make it look right. 

I'm not into a "preservation" approach and keep the whole thing for sunny days only, I intend to drive it every day.  If it's going to last as a daily, rust needs to be removed and the insides sealed.  At that point, it's easier to just paint it.

So..... I'm painting it.

I'm pretty sure it will still look cool. (grin)

4/24/22 11:22 p.m.

Blasted the grill today.  Other than wheels, I think I have now blasted everything.

Plotting my next primer/paint 7-day/14-day spraying window.

4/25/22 10:34 a.m.

Some more primer:

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/25/22 11:25 p.m.

Carry on maestro, the hues you've chosen are superb...especially like the wheel color path you're contemplating. Fake WW's OHY!!! How much tire width wise can you put on those rims? 

4/25/22 11:42 p.m.

I've built it to fit a common 245/45R18, but having widened steelies for my Hyundai Accent, I may make a set of wider wheels for the back.  Maybe.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/25/22 11:52 p.m.

I say enough width to handle no less than 275/50R18, but of course that would probably play hell with body interferences eh?

4/26/22 12:38 a.m.

The front would be tight.  This thing can steer full-lock sitting iared out on the ground.

The back probably has room, but I haven't measured.  I'd bet a 9" wheel should be doable.  Not high on my list of priorities at this point.

4/27/22 1:16 a.m.

Bit of prepping today.  Hopefully squirt some more primer tomorrow.

Wow.  I sure look old in this shot.  In my head, I'm 24.  My body is not holding 24 too well.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/22 11:07 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

i was thinking the same thing about myself.

4/28/22 1:23 a.m.

A bit of filler, and another coat this evening.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/28/22 7:29 a.m.

"Build a Hot Rod truck" they said, "It will be fun, easy, cheap and relaxing" they said. 

4/28/22 1:11 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

they lied about one, maybe more, of those points.

4/29/22 3:04 a.m.

I bought a Turbine Products Supplied Air System to save my lungs as I spray a di-iso-cyanate:

First skiff of colour (First pic is closest to in-person, it's more orange than the next two pics. And the supplied air system is freaking awesome!):

I'm jambing the cab, then hanging the doors, then finishing the bodywork, then shooting the whole thing assembled.  

This is NOT a "show truck;" it's a freaking "please don't rust out so fast but hella cool daily driver."

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/22 6:35 a.m.

WOOT WOOT!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/29/22 7:21 a.m.

Awesome!!!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/29/22 7:58 a.m.

Single stage paint?

4/29/22 10:29 a.m.

Yes, single stage.

Easy to correct. Easy to touch-up. Looks better aged than peeling clearcoat.

4/29/22 11:15 a.m.

Outstanding!

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/29/22 11:17 a.m.

You went a bit lighter than MOH yellow.

edit: after reading the whole post - it’s a lot closer to MOH yellow.

4/29/22 7:05 p.m.

There will be no black separator stripe, which should make the difference. I hope.

Pops did 42 years in highway maintenance; I grew up with a MoH truck in the driveway.

4/30/22 12:35 a.m.

The paint is a little more orange in this shot.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/30/22 8:22 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

amen

1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
68UKNxtCr4no8tOs2ZV9BG3OEExI4hRXezlueksC90m2iNGoi6hsaWwihRS6s4e9