1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 60
HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar Reader
8/19/22 1:57 p.m.

I used to do Health, Safety and Environment work for sandblasting/painting crews working in confined spaces using supplied air respirators.  Some of the big considerations in supplying safe air were mainly the placement of the compressor (more specifically, the location of the compressor intake relative to the driving motor exhaust or other contaminants), type of compressor (“dry” Teflon piston rings versus typical oil lubricated piston rings) and quality post compression treatment equipment such as after coolers, water coalescing and particulate filtration.  CO monitors topped off the typical package.

Of course the safety requirements I was used to will vary from where you are, but you might find some useful information from https://www.airbestpractices.com/standards/nfpa-99-medical-air/osha-standard-29-cfr-1019134-grade-d-compressed-breathing-air-requirem .  

Hope you solve  your breathing air problem.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/21/22 1:17 a.m.

That was a good read, thank you.

My Supplied Air System just moves air, I don't think it is compressed.  It does not run off my compressor, and does not sound like a compressor when it's running (sounds more like a shop vac on "blow").

However, the spray booth is down and gone.

I ran the leaf-blower through the shop a couple times to get rid of all the dust.  Probably brightened the shop 50% just by getting the dust off the lights.

Once I get the bed on the truck, I'll post a pic.  I'm not motivated to do a whole lot, though.  My goal was to get it all painted by the end of the summer.  I did that.  But I hurt everywhere, and I need a break for my mind before I start the next school year.

Soon, though, soon.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/21/22 8:22 a.m.

Regardless of how it turns out...Painting a vehicle at home is one of those things that does  NOT leave you thinking "Man, I cant wait to do that again".

8/21/22 11:34 a.m.

I am pleased to hear that I'm not alone in that.

I will need to do some colour sanding to remove my defects.  My philosophy is to put down enough paint that when I'm done sanding out my defects, I still have paint.  If not, I still have half a gallon or orange, and a solid single stage is easy to blend.

But yeah, a hefty "no thank you" to doing this again.  I'm ok with spot repairs, or maybe paint a fender, but I don't think it will be a whole car again.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/21/22 12:41 p.m.

If by chance you have any runs, this video shows a good way to deal with them. Also works well for areas that are a bit more gritty than just the odd dirt spec or "nib"

8/21/22 12:59 p.m.

I've done that trick in the past - it works well.

8/21/22 9:36 p.m.

And finally!

Now we begin putting it all back together.

Gambit
Gambit Reader
8/21/22 10:11 p.m.

Wish I could see the color in person just to gauge the actual tone of it.. looks gorgeous nonetheless 

8/21/22 10:12 p.m.

This is very close to the actual color.  Photo by GoPro.  My cell phone makes it very yellow. This is pretty much the colour in person.

David_H
David_H New Reader
8/21/22 10:46 p.m.

Looks very nice, I hope you are happy with it. 

that front end look like it's snarling 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/21/22 10:56 p.m.

Nice job.  Looking forward to assembly.

Myself, after these major milestones, I tend to go into a mood where I don not even want to see the project for a week or two.  Here is hoping you are more the type that is motivated by the success and forge ahead. 

Then again, school does start in two weeks.

8/21/22 11:24 p.m.

I very much need to take a mental break from this.

The first summer I started this truck, I stripped it to the frame, shortened the frame, step-notched the frame, pancaked the crossmember, rack & pinion conversion, and got the frame sitting on wheels.  It was non stop "go go go go" that summer.

The next summer I repaired all the rust in the cab, and I think the doors as well.  Go go go go.

Last summer everything was entirely abrasive-blasted and epoxy primed (all in my back yard, mind you, in 45°C heat), and the frame got painted. Go go go go.

This summer everything got painted. Go go go go.

I have two weeks to unwind.  I haven't spent any time unwinding in four years.  I need to replenish my brain for the kiddies this school year.

I need to find a way to be less driven.

Hahahahaha.  Yeah.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/21/22 11:30 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I can dig that.

Don't fall into the trap of "Now its time to relax. Go go go go."

Worst feeling when you do something specifically to relax, like go on vacation, and come back thinking "E36 M3, I need to relax from stressing about needing to get to my relaxing"

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/21/22 11:31 p.m.

That looks really great!  Curious if you're keeping those wheels or doing something else.  Very curious what you plan to do for the grill opening and the hood "nostrils".  I kind of like them open?

8/21/22 11:54 p.m.

The nostril inserts are blasted and painted and sitting on a shelf.  I want to get some stainless fasteners so they don't rust.

The grill is blasted and painted and sitting on a shelf.  I need to blast and epoxy the headlight buckets, and then those (and the nostrils/signals) will go on when I run all new wiring (also in a box on a shelf).

I have three sets of these wheels now.  Two sets are orange painted centers with white hoops, to emulate a pheaux "whitewall" with such a large diameter rim (it works in my head).  Since the truck will be sitting another year as it gets reassembled, I don't see the point of putting used tires on the painted rims only to peel them off again in a year, or to use up a year's tire age just sitting.  I have painted rims ready to go.

8/21/22 11:58 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Don't fall into the trap of "Now its time to relax. Go go go go."

I know that trap all too well.

HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar Reader
8/22/22 7:33 a.m.

Truck looks fantastic.  And your tailgate logo really pops!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/22/22 8:08 a.m.

That is GORGEOUS. 

i cannot wait to see it on the proper wheel and tire package outside.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/23/22 7:42 p.m.

Really love how it's turning out!  Showed my wife the first page (we have a similarly ugly square body) and then the painted pics.. now she's expecting miracles of me.  :-D

8/24/22 12:45 a.m.

Windshield ordered locally for $400 - cheaper than online, and no extra shipping.

I have a rear bumper coming and a few other pieces, the last on my list of parts to get.

Beyond that, I'm still trying to just relax and refresh for the school year.  Hahahahaha.  Yeah.

8/28/22 10:12 p.m.

Puttering in the shop, trying to stay relaxed leading into the new school year (one week left till show time).

Grill center was removed (drilled out the rivets), had slight tweaks and was straightened, the center epoxy primed, PPG Delfleet Flat Black, and the letters sanded up to 1500grit:

(Fender removed because the bed will be coming off for some more chassis work).

Also testing out a multipurpose welder to see if it's any good:

8/31/22 12:05 a.m.

When I bought the truck, it came with a wack of keys, none of which fit the truck.  I drove the truck home, and the keys are still in my office at work.

Today I disassembled the door locks (just pop out a c-clip), and took the locks down to the local locksmith along with the brand new ignition key and tumbler.

Cost to re-key the doors to match the ignition: $140

Cost to cut keys according to the code on the locks: $30

I suppose I can put up with two keys.

At least I have keys.

Also changed out the hood insulators. I was not happy at all with the ones I got here in Canada. I ordered another set from LMC and they fit and stay much better.

8/31/22 5:11 p.m.

Rear bumper arrived today, so I painted that (and some grill fasteners) with the last of the white.

Window rubber arrived as well.  Still waiting on windshield.  Debating what to do with the rear glass.

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX Reader
8/31/22 10:34 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Regardless of how it turns out...Painting a vehicle at home is one of those things that does  NOT leave you thinking "Man, I cant wait to do that again".

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Having now painted 2 cars (full color change) and multiple rust repairs.. I sincerely dread doing paint and filler work at this point. Having breathing issues just makes it even more awful.

Skinny this truck is turning out sweet!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/31/22 11:14 p.m.

Love how the truck is turning out.  What do you think of the welder?

1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GRGIo2nXDqgxNCFAJmLs9xZVmBBcYlRiF6cNTmw8zqiqDonYQ6opWtyVodgi9XyT