1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 60
SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
5/26/19 10:29 p.m.

Far as I know, he hasn't shortened one of these.

I followed his threads when I shortened my '77.

And I've poured over his thread on his knee-knocker as well.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/9/19 9:10 p.m.

My son and I put the heads on, and finished up the timing chain and front and rear covers this weekend.

This has been slow, but while I am itching to power ahead and just "git'er dun!", I feel it's important to drag my son along so he can learn this stuff.  He's into cars, but reluctant to jump in head first without a good solid shove.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/15/19 7:07 p.m.

Went to Pick-N-Pull today. Three hours later </spongebob>:

Front crossmember from an '84 'Burb.  No spindles, because I have 2" drop spindles already (plus the stockers from my '77, even).

I'll ditch the torsion bar front on the '61 for this. This will give me the best option of running bags OR coils, plus more easily replaceable (and cheap) bushings.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/24/19 12:30 a.m.

Started drawing up the 'Burb suspension so as to theoretically fine-tune the rack placement.  This may be a waste of time.  Hahaha. Hohoho.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/28/19 11:28 p.m.

The trailing arms are 12° off the axle.  Made saddles for the 3-1/4" tubes of the 9", plus 2" lowering blocks.

Also machined some ball joint rings so I can adapt 88-98 ball joints to hold the 88-98 dropped spindles I got for cheap. I will likely be turning the outside down more, but I have better accuracy with the lathe at work, so I knocked them out there.

Also picked up a screaming sale at Princess Auto - nice 2.3mm HVLP gun.  I want it for high-build primer, but it could probably spray cheese if I wanted.

java230
java230 UltraDork
6/29/19 12:11 a.m.

Used the harbor freight version of that gun, surprisingly good.... 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/29/19 7:13 a.m.

Id I ever do another paint job, I gonna get a  gun with the big nozzle.  1.9 was marginal.

Pete

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/30/19 3:41 p.m.
SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/30/19 7:49 p.m.

If I had less lawn, I could store more car parts.....

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/30/19 8:03 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Get rid of the grass and be more environmentally friendly, and what are the watering restrictions in Kelowna?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/30/19 8:51 p.m.

Current water restrictions are three days a week only.

I always over-seed each year with a drought-resistant grass, and I set the mower as high as I can stand which keeps the grass greener and holds moisture in.

The grass will start dying off soon, as I cannot keep up with the heat.  By early August I give up worrying about it.  It'll green up again in the fall.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/1/19 5:39 p.m.

Front clip is off, fasteners soaking.

Possibly cab off this week??

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/1/19 5:42 p.m.

A single species ecosystem is madness.

My lawn has been converted to wildflowers. No more mowing, no more watering. If the city or my neighbours don't like it, clearly they hate the environment, want to speed up global warming and kill off all the bees.

Plus, less time mowing, more time doing other stuff.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/1/19 7:27 p.m.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/2/19 11:16 p.m.

Doors off, seat out, floor mat out, heater out, glove box out, radio out....

Rust is very typical, if not better-than-typical.

Interesting how wee the seat mounting bolts are.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/2/19 11:45 p.m.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/3/19 5:22 p.m.

Got the cab off today.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/4/19 8:00 p.m.

50% off at Pick-N-Pull today.

For $135 CDN I got un-cut GMT400 1.25" rotors (I mic'd them) and wheel bearings, big piston C2500 calipers, the throttle controller for my LS swap (didn't come with the motor et al), and a '03 Silverado master cylinder with hydroboost. Saved close to $650.

Oh shoot - I forgot to snag the cooler.....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/5/19 7:22 p.m.

Pics of the junk from yesterday:

Today, I went back to Pick-N-Pull to get the P/S cooler I pulled off but forgot to put in the wheelbarrow, plus some other stuff: Trans coolers, and a 4L80E dipstick tube and stick.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/19 3:26 p.m.

That looks really clean underneath!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/6/19 5:16 p.m.

Ive always heard that if you go far enough north things dont rust. Is that the case here?

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/6/19 5:28 p.m.

Don't shorten it.........just bring it down.......my vote wink

oh and keep the stickie on the bed....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/6/19 5:34 p.m.

I've been spending a LOT of time on the 67-72 Chevy Truck forum, in the 60-66 section, and this truck looks to be better than most as far as rust. It has the typical rust in the typical places, but not as far gone.  In fact, inner and outer rockers are still mostly intact (though crunchy).

The trans has NEVER been out (they come out through the cab - the hump has never been undone to do so). I suspect the engine has never been out either.

Frame shows no death that I can see, but the frames are pretty robust.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/6/19 8:43 p.m.

Motor's out.

235, SM420. Yes, that's a Road-Draft Tube.  This pre-dates PCV.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/7/19 1:13 a.m.

Read a story and tucked the kids into bed, then got the front crossmember completely unbolted.  Torsion crossmember tomorrow, then yank the axle and trailing arms.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CHCHNEELJVmkUgkUx7j3ATorDcz3TmOTsG9kXFzR6PQYM5hpwJjXluMFoAFhveow