1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32
SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/26/15 2:57 p.m.

Had some conflicts with the exhaust. Things moved and/or settled, and the mufflers ended up being placed too high - this would require clearancing the floor, and the exhaust heat might set the seat on fire.

So I decided to cut out the frame through-rings for the exhaust (which had broken my corded drill chuck and cordless drill speed switch) and make them bigger. Luckily, I now had a good source for large diameter pipe. I'm sure the kids won't notice.

DSC03593

Instead of destroying more drills, I hacked them out with The Death Wheel, and welded in new.

DSC03595

Now I have good clearance between the floor and mufflers. Yay!

DSC03596

So it's better - but I'm not further ahead.

crazycanadian
crazycanadian Reader
3/26/15 3:12 p.m.

easier to fix and weld up things now rather then later when the floor is installed. You don't want to have flanges for separating the exhaust/servicing later on down the road? looks like you might run into troubles with that.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/26/15 3:24 p.m.

Death wheel? What is that? I must own one.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
3/26/15 7:10 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Death wheel? What is that? I must own one.

Real "Death Wheels" don't have guards!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/26/15 8:30 p.m.

Fake Death Wheel, then. I'm too chicken to remove the guard in most cases. But I did remove the extra handle, and the trigger is a "stay on forever" style that keeps going even after you've died. This is why we wear a face shield and gloves, children. Went through two of these:

DSC03608

Also got the brake master re-installed, along with the combination valve. I can't remember where I put the brake lines to connect the two.

DSC03607

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
3/26/15 8:35 p.m.
crazycanadian wrote: You don't want to have flanges for separating the exhaust/servicing later on down the road? looks like you might run into troubles with that.

Right now, it's trying to stay under budget. The headers still disconnect at the collectors. If I'm going in there again, it will be (hopefully) much later to replace the blown out glasspacks with something less budge-constrained.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
3/26/15 9:03 p.m.

Not sure how best to separate the exhaust, now that I think about it. I can't think of anything that would fit through the metal rings. I could do a slip joint with some method to squeeze it, but.... Hmmm. How big are v-bands?

On the other hand, it should be possible to pull the trans and the axle without pulling the exhaust, so it might be ok. I hope.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/26/15 9:10 p.m.

DSC03606

Princess Auto has a keyless chuck to turn your 3/8" drill into a 1/2" drill. Around $15 CDN as of this writing. Seems to work dandy, and the Hitachi lives to fight another day.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/28/15 3:16 p.m.

Patterns. I took this picture mainly to show my students that "The Old Man" uses cardboard to shape the sheet metal.

I figure if I do enough of these, they might be inspired to believe that it is easier to make it fit in cardboard before they waste their time and money in metal. "If you can't make it out of cardboard, you won't be able to make it out of metal." I know, I know, "the Old Man don't know nuthin." They'll learn.

DSC03653

Meanwhile, cardboard patterns, sheet metal, and getting some bead roller practice. Yes, I changed my mind on the patch on the right. "Make your big pieces first, that way when you screw up - they become your smaller pieces."

DSC03654

DSC03655

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/29/15 10:44 p.m.

Patch panel for the left side of the rear frame kick up. Fun with the bead roller, rolling an inset around the perimeter, and raised beads through the center.

DSC03678

DSC03680

Rust on the wheel well actually goes right through - it gets patched later on. Also drilled holes to help run brake and fuel lines from the front to the back without getting too close to the exhaust pipes. Hard to figure out. No pictures on that yet.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/30/15 11:51 p.m.

Notice anything new?

DSC03681

If you said "I see that you have finished plumbing the front brakes," you'd be right!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/4/15 11:21 p.m.
crazycanadian wrote: You don't want to have flanges for separating the exhaust/servicing later on down the road? looks like you might run into troubles with that.

You were so right. And it hasn't even been down the road yet. I have run into a snag.

I went to remove the transmission crossmember so I could cut off the now unused Firebird Torque-Arm mount, and found I could not remove the crossmember. Or at least, I certainly would not be able to once the floor is in the car. So.... I need to figure out something that is easier to deal with.

DSC03683

crazycanadian
crazycanadian Reader
4/5/15 9:18 p.m.

3 bolt header flanges bolts and gaskets shouldn't be to pricey. I have been ripped off with kits before. So I get generic flanges and gaskets.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/6/15 12:00 a.m.

After a bit of thinking, this is where I am. Crossmember needs to be easy to remove. Previously, it was designed very robust to deal with the Firebird torque arm, which I am no longer using. This is a bit less robust, but should work fine.

DSC03686

Cool thing: this is all steel I found in my back yard. The ends of the cross member will be sliced at the ends to fit the "ears," which will be bolted to the tabs welded to the frame. Good idea on the exhaust. I'll do something like that when I cross that bridge in the future.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
4/6/15 6:22 a.m.
SkinnyG wrote:
You were so right. And it hasn't even been down the road yet. I have run into a snag. I went to remove the transmission crossmember so I could cut off the now unused Firebird Torque-Arm mount, and found I could not remove the crossmember. Or at least, I certainly would not be able to once the floor is in the car. So.... I need to figure out something that is easier to deal with. DSC03683

If it does not mess with the budget, why not use the butt-join exhaust clamps?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/6/15 9:45 p.m.

Got the crossmember sorted out, and primed:

DSC03692

New tabs off the frame. Crossmember will bolt to the underside of the tabs. Not ideal, but neither is this project.

DSC03691

Also finished bead rolling and primering the patches on the rear sides. Also patched a rust hole in the left rear wheel well (seen in earlier pics).

DSC03689

The freezer still has quite a bit more life left in it. I might be able to make this work really well! DSC03687

DSC03688

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/12/15 1:02 a.m.

I started working out how to build radiator tanks, and I think I've decided what the dimensions have to be. Not sure if I have the right aluminum at home or not - it was left over from the sheet of used aluminum I bought for the floor on The Lethal Locost.

Also finished cutting and folding the interior panel for behind the seat backs. Used the 3' sheet metal brake I fabricated last fall. Worked AWESOME!

I intended to bead roll something cool into the panel, but it seems I am not ready for that level of complexity. I wanted to emboss "FIENDISH", but then changed my mind to the Pontiac symbol, then decided to just do a perimeter shape and move on. Fun challenge too, because I didn't think about the limited reach of this bead roller.

DSC03693

Also tried rolling flames into some scrap, and I experimented with my tipping wheel and trying to figure this stuff out. I am a long way off. It's kind of fun getting lost in the garage for hours.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/12/15 11:02 p.m.

Back panel put in. It seems a bit "drummy." I'm thinking a couple of raised beads through the center might have reduced that. Too late now. Wait for a sale on Peel-n-Seal I guess.

DSC03700

Also working out rad tanks. That there is the core from a Ford Ranger that I got because a tank had split. Rad should fit under the hood easily, and not protrude below the bumper. I also have been enjoying a spot weld cutter, and removing old bracketry that is no longer needed.

DSC03701

Oh yes - the new and improved transmission crossmember - now actually removeable. Such a treat.

DSC03704

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/2/15 8:10 p.m.

I recently spent some time with my friend Liam of Burr Fabrication (Armstrong), who helped me immensely in fabricating a gas tank, and gave me tips in welding my own rad tanks to the Ranger pickup core.

Today, I worked on the lower radiator tank (no pics - boring), and the lower rad house outlet. Lower water pump inlet is 1-7/8 diameter. That makes the circumference 5.89". I cut a strip from the same scrap aluminum I used for the tanks.

DSC03744

Anneal the aluminum by scribbling a Sharpie on the aluminum, then heat it with a torch until the ink is gone.

DSC03742

Then I ran one side of the sheet through the bead roller for a hose clamp antipoppinoffinator.

DSC03745

I started curving the sheet by bending it bit by bit by hand in my vise.

DSC03746

Then persuaded it into round using a dead-blow hammer around a piece of tubing.

DSC03747

Then TIG welded the seam inside and out. Top hose inlet is there too.

DSC03749

The outlet is squished on one end to fit the tank. The hole was shaped with a carbide cutter on a die grinder. Spraying the cutter with WD40 keeps the cutter from bunging up with aluminum.

DSC03751

Magical TIG goodness.

I'll finish the top tank and hose inlet, flush the rad clean, then cap the ends.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
5/2/15 8:39 p.m.

very cool. I love reading your thread. Always something unique.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/3/15 12:50 a.m.

Attached the top tank, hose inlet and filler neck.

DSC03754

My fingers were cooking after this one.

DSC03755

Basic weld bead, then another pass using the only the pulser to "wet" it together nicely.

DSC03756

DSC03757

I'll likely cap the tanks tomorrow, add a drain cock, and hopefully be done with the rad.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/3/15 12:56 a.m.

DSC01925

This what I started with, way back in July of last year.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
5/3/15 12:33 p.m.

Nice progress, I enjoy reading your thread and finding all the neat little tips and tricks

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/3/15 8:26 p.m.

Got the tank sides done and capped, and drilled a hole for the soon-to-be-attached draincock.

DSC03759

DSC03758

Not much different than you have seen already. Working out how to mount it.

I have an idea on how to do the gas tank. Liam (Burr Fabrication) and I threw together a basic gas tank, currently not quite finished. The pretty welds are his.

I'm using the '88 Firebird fuel pickup, so the tank was made to suit. We built a basic sump, with a hole forward so fuel can get in, with a more difficult time getting out. I'm not worried about trap doors and maximum g's - I'll likely roll it long before fuel starvation becomes a problem.

Once I got home and my sub-conscience stewed on it for a while, I widened the hole and added a divider, so in a corner, the only way the fuel can get from one side of the tank to the other, is through the sump (shown).

DSC03760

The top looks like this, with the pickup and o-ring sandwiched between a ring welded underneath, and a ring bolted through the top into it.

DSC03763

That might be as far as I go with it this weekend. Going to check on my building permit - it's been two months of waiting.....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/3/15 11:01 p.m.

Trimming the back hatch area to fit the tank. What's that bogging down my cutting disc??? Oh. That.

DSC03764

You don't fully own a project, until you've bled on it.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wGyiFoe6JjpB1FWQtsdkCdm92z98dnp6eSX77h9gxTL63YEK9CAmjcHTrkMU3z2G