1 2 3 4 5
turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/13 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

A trashed interior isn't a big deal as there are plenty of parts available still, some of the more rare parts are hard to find, but the basic versions (black, white, gray, etc) are pretty common.

The auto kills it. though it works in a 928 since it works better as a cruiser.

Here's a neat franken-car in the SF region for too much money, IMO:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4092136500.html

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
9/30/13 5:57 p.m.

I want the Broadfoot Flares on that car.

turboswede
10/1/13 11:44 a.m.

Yeah, those would be awesome. Though I have to wonder about the "lightened" rear bumper, but Euro bumpers aren't exactly cheap/easy to get a hold of.

Needs moar LSx though ;)

turboswede
10/4/13 4:46 p.m.

Well, got it on the road to get it tagged and it failed.

Didn't pass the emissions test, running too rich. So I got a trip permit in order to not get hassled by the constabulary while I sort out a few things.

Power steering is still leaking (likely the high pressure hose), the lovely driver's side hood vent tells me that every once in a while. I think some -8 and -10 hose are in my future, that and lots of ATF in my clothes

Brakes are still mushy, can't seem to get the air out of the system. I think a reverse bleed is in order since it might be air still trapped in the master cylinder.

Clutch is an on-off switch, but if you launch it a bit harder it's a bit better.

Something is loose or worn in the suspension as it wanders and the center for the steering seems to move. Likely the camber bolts aren't tight enough.

Transmission is a bit noisy on decel and the 2nd gear syncro is just about finished.

Heater is apparently stuck full on, even though all of the bits and pieces seem to be in good shape. Not a big deal in the winter, but come spring/summer it will be intolerable.

Wiring for the stereo is dead, so a possible fuse.

With all of that said, if you give it some 'welli' you better hold on to something cause it berkeleying moves. I've really missed having a turbo car and I'm going to have to adjust my driving style to compensate.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/4/13 4:56 p.m.

Sorry there are so many little hiccups to fix, but it's still an incredibly cool car.

Having things shift so that "center" moves on steering is creepy as hell...

turboswede
10/4/13 5:14 p.m.
ransom wrote: Sorry there are so many little hiccups to fix, but it's still an incredibly cool car. Having things shift so that "center" moves on steering is creepy as hell...

Yeah, especially when the boost comes on. Talk about an E-ticket ride ;)

I unfortunately have experience with such fun from both the ChumpCar CSX and my own CSX. On the Chumpcar, the strut bolts worked loose while on track. On my own CSX, the steering rack bolts wallowed out their mounting holes in the K-member so I had about a 1/4 turn of slop which was a lot of fun combined with torque steer via boost ;)

This isn't too bad though, so I'll park it in the garage and pull the wheels (AGAIN! berkeley!) and nut and bolt the suspension bolts.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/13 6:32 p.m.

Nothing that won't pass autocross tech!

turboswede
10/5/13 2:03 a.m.

Fixed the stereo and brakes.

Steering rack bushings are shot though :/

turboswede
10/6/13 12:11 a.m.

Put some hose clamps on the rack to try and minimize the movement. I'll get some new ones ordered on Monday.

Car is as ready for its first Autocross tomorrow as it can be right now. Expect video sometime next week.

turboswede
10/6/13 6:09 p.m.

Still trying to get video gathered off the GoPro knock-off, but the SD card adapter is being a PITA. I'll grab another PC and try it there.

In the meantime, the car did great. My driving needs a lot of work, but after the first few miscues it was mostly clean for the 8 or 9 runs I got. I was down around the mid-high 47 second for my best runs, mostly around 50 it seemed.

Mike co-drove and really found a bit more speed, so he was down in the 43 or 44 second range.

TTOD was in the 38 second range.

The only issues with the car was an overfilled power steering reservoir, which cause a bit of a smoke show after Mike's first run. Removed some fluid with some napkins and all was well after than.

Then about half-way through the session, the car started smoking out of the tailpipe, but it seemed to run okay and oil pressure and water temp were fine the entire time. We suspect it is either a PCV issue or perhaps the turbo is letting go. I'll investigate later once I gather some parts to fix the steering, etc.

The slave cylinder or the clutch master started acting up as well, probably due to excessive heat as they worked better once I let the car cool and headed for home.

All in all it was a great event and a hell of a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to some more next year, preferably in the 924, but the 951 will always work in a pinch.

Javelin
10/7/13 12:43 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Thanks for the co-drive! It sure is a beastly 951. Hopefully the smoke was the PCV, but if it is the turbo, may I suggest dowsizing a tad? She's a little laggy. Killer top end, though.

On times, 38.8 was TTOD. Only 2 cars in the 30's (Jared Still's SSM FD RX-7 and Dallas Clark's SSM Evo). Very few cars in the 40-flats. My best was a 43.3, backed up with two 43.5's. It needed way more brake and tire to get anything more than that, as well as less turbo. Suspension was great, very neutral. A hint of understeer, easily put into oversteer with a little throttle.

We'll go drag racing in the Javelin next year.

turboswede
10/7/13 3:03 p.m.

Yeah, it was a lot of fun. You drove the hell out of it, it was great having a co-driver to work towards. I also was really impressed at how well the suspension worked without any adjustments or service. Aside from perhaps stiffening the rear a little, I can't think of anything else it needs except a little negative camber.

The rack bushings are on their way as are some front sway bar braces (noticed one was slightly bent the last time I was under the car).

Since the clutch slave was sticking, etc I think its time to replace both masters and the slave and check the adjustments for the brake pedal and booster while I've got it all apart.

I'll order the AOS seals and go that route first and look at the shaft play on the turbo when I'm in there. Need to get the model info, etc before I think about servicing it or replacing it.

I've got a nice, tiny Mitsu turbo to put on the 924 for next year, so it should be more, um, lively given its lightweight, etc. We'll see and you're more than welcome to co-drive the toofah as well if you're interested.

Javelin
10/7/13 3:12 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Hell yeah I'm interested in co-driving! Todd's trying to move the 914 down the road and get a 944 S2, but we'll see how that goes.

On your clutch pedal, it's definitely out of adjustment. You could feel the cable/mechanism/voodoomagic take up slack the first 2-3" of travel before it actually did anything. I'd do that first, then do the master/slave.

The brakes need far more bite before I'd worry about suspension at all. I know you still had air, but the pads are not aggressive enough for AX, even when hot. I'd also flush the whole PS system, the fluid smelled burned and was making the steering jerky on top of the moving rack.

I still can't believe how well everything worked for being about 4 days old! Can you come put my cars together?!?

Javelin
10/7/13 4:27 p.m.

Said 951:

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/13 4:33 p.m.

Just how big is this turbo? Unless it's gargantuan sized, much of the lag can be taken care of by make sure everything leading up to it is as efficient as possible. This includes the tune. I'm sure i'm not saying anything new to you, but it's often missed. I see people complain about slow or lazy spooling turbos from time to time, with motor/turbo combinations that just shouldn't be lazy.

Peak torque was moved almost 800rpms sooner in my rev range on the MSM last time we tuned it, and it didn't give up anything up top, either. No mechanical changes.

turboswede
10/7/13 4:42 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Not sure. PO mentioned a "billet" compressor wheel and when I had the intake hose off, it was a pretty decent sized intake. Mofo comes on like a freight train at 3000rpm and runs all the way to redline and the wastegate is supposedly set to 18psi (though I've not confirmed since I'm not looking at the boost gauge when that happens, I'm holding onto the damned steering wheel)

I just got the serial cable from the PO so once I get the software loaded on the laptop, I'll hook it up and see what is what.

In reply to Javelin:

The nice part of flogging on the car was that the clutch broke in a bit, so its a bit easier to modulate. Probably a bit rusted up.

The pads are Centrics, so yeah they aren't meant to be aggressive.

PS fluid was flushed a bit when I rebuilt the pump and replaced the reservoir. I'll do a proper flush over the winter at some point.

Javelin
10/7/13 4:50 p.m.

It's honestly not very lazy or laggy, it's just not correctly sized for autocross. It would be a beast on PIR for HPDE/track days, but it's just too big for AX. By the time you get it spooled, there's another corner. Even if you drive it as much on boost as you can (left foot braking, steady throttle, etc). It sure was fun!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/13 4:55 p.m.

Oh.... Freight Train at 3000rpms sounds pretty good to me.

turboswede
10/8/13 10:13 a.m.

I think this might be similar to what is on the car:

http://www.irozmotorsport.com/k26-billet/

40lbs/min on the compressor side. Yeah, probably a bit laggy considering the 951S has a K26/8 to begin with versus the regular 944 turbos with the K26/6.

Could be worse, I've got a Holset HX35 on the shelf that I need to refresh, but I don't have an engine to put it on.... yet

I'll get a refresh kit for the K26 turbo, just in case a front seal died, since I have to pull the intake to get to the AOS, might as well pull the turbo and make sure all is well there since I hate doing things twice.

Wish I had time and money to get some of the piping and intake ceramic coated to help with heat management.

I've already ordered the rack bushings, the AOS seals, the breather hose, the heater valve and hoses and the clutch master and slave (just in case). Once I have everything apart, I can replace/reroute any of the other hoses/vacuum lines to clean up the engine bay a bit.

Javelin
10/8/13 11:04 a.m.

In reply to turboswede:

The Duplicolor Header paint will work wonders on that piping. You should have the time and money for that.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/13 1:05 p.m.

Assuming, I can get the zit-faced kid at the local store to open the spray paint cage so I can buy some. The irony of course is that the cage is to prevent kids and teens from buying spray paint and yet the same kids are trusted with the keys when they work at the stores.

Javelin
10/8/13 1:07 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

I got about a dozen cans of various colors in the garage. Also, you need to PM me your contact info, they found your hat. It's living in Vancouver right now.

turboswede
10/8/13 1:18 p.m.

Cool. PM sent. I might have some around as well.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/8/13 1:24 p.m.

You're going to use.... header paint on intercooler piping? I honestly don't believe that's going to do much.

Javelin
10/8/13 2:38 p.m.

Underhood temps. Learn 'em, love 'em.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MTjOPsSQbGYSewC7M8e6KXtwfYN0HS5smhelGOibS0Yp2Pv9kPxtx1g1jOnPzGxS