AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/21/19 9:21 a.m.

Slicktop, yes. TDI, yes. 6 spd.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
6/21/19 9:38 a.m.
AxeHealey said:

I'm not used to an all torque motor, but it's fun to look at the dash and see that you are going over double the speed limit without intending to. I'm pretty sure it would beat my FRS in a drag race.

AxeHealey
6/21/19 9:46 a.m.
captainawesome said:
AxeHealey said:

but it's fun to look at the dash and see that you are going over double the speed limit without intending to

No joke there. I've caught myself doing 50+ in a 35 multiple times already and not even being on it!

AxeHealey
6/25/19 8:05 a.m.

OK - there's always an excuse but progress has been made. All but one of the misc. holes I found in the steel panels have been welded shut. The FL fender, LR quarter, hood and trunk have been scuffed by hand with 80 grit and just need to be cleaned before primer. I found a crack in the front shroud where it had been repaired and threw some epoxy on it last night and there's one gigantic hole in the front shroud that had been filled by bondo that needs repaired somehow. I'm guessing there was a big antenna or an aux light there as the hole matches up with one in the scuttle. 

We leave for a week-long vacation on July 13th. Whatever state the body is in at that point, it's going to a shop. Ideally it will be all ready to go and the painter can just prime and top coat it. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/25/19 8:33 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Are you expecting to have any/all of the block sanding done?

Pete

AxeHealey
6/25/19 1:05 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to AxeHealey :

Are you expecting to have any/all of the block sanding done?

Yes, that is my intent and hope. I need to get moving, I know. 

AxeHealey
6/28/19 8:47 a.m.

PRIMAH!

Two coats on all pieces pictured. By eyeballing it, this is slightly more than half of the surface area and I used half of the cans bought. We're going to check out a painter suggested by a friend this afternoon. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/28/19 8:57 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

What product are you using to prime the panels?  Is it an epoxy?

Too late I realize, but I like to clear the substrate prep with the painter ahead of time. Some of them can be opinionated on the matter.

The panels look pretty good already.  The truth will come out when you start to block sand. I have not seen any filler go on?!

AxeHealey
6/28/19 9:14 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Yep, Eastwood's 2-part Epoxy primer in rattle cans. 

I've talked to this, and a couple other painters, about the strategy I'm employing and they've been good with it.

Most of the panels are actually remarkably straight. The shrouds and the passenger door are going to be the worst. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/28/19 9:35 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Do you have a set of Durablocks to do the block sanding? You are going to be going though a lot of 80 grit for the next stage  until everything is perfectly flat.

Pete

AxeHealey
6/28/19 9:57 a.m.

Eastwood is right down the street from the paint shop we're going to so I'm planning to stop this afternoon. 

Durablocks

Paper

Rage

Hammer & dollies

Seam sealer

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/28/19 11:23 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

A glimpse into your future:  "Its going to get dusty"

wink

AxeHealey
6/28/19 11:59 a.m.

That looks like at least a version of a terrible nightmare...

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/28/19 1:16 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Well then, I have some bad news for you then...

The thing with this whole bodywork thing is that, as miserable of an experience as it is to live in the moment, if you do it right, at the end there is a great sense of satisfaction.The danger of re-offending is hard to resist.

And you do seem to be doing it right.

Pete

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/19 1:39 p.m.

Hey i’ll be right up the street from eastwood this afternoon too, my chiropractor is on ridge as well.  

AxeHealey
6/28/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

At least I'll be doing it by hand so it won't float around the shop as much as the paint did when I stripped it. 

AxeHealey
6/28/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'll turn my music down when I drive by to hear the cracking... Keep an eye out for the Daddywagen.

AxeHealey
7/1/19 9:27 p.m.

So. An interesting turn of events on Friday that will disappoint some. I shot out of work around 3 to pick up my dad and head to the painter to check out a Mach 1 Mustang he had just painted. We get there, the Mustang looks great and, in fact, he's got an MG Midget sitting in the shop also. Apparently he does a good bit of work for a British car shop down the road. We ask our list of questions, get good answers and head on our way.

Its about 50 minutes back to my parent's place so we get into talking about the paint, body work and the rest of what needs to get done on the car. We also talk about timing. 

The shop quoted us 3 weeks to do just the painting and an additional week for all of the body work. The cost difference isn't extreme either. I could already take the 3 weeks as good time to make progress in other areas but the fact that he will only take a week for the body work would save me tons of time. If he's quoting a week, you can bet your ass it will take me three. All of a sudden having him do both the body work and the paint could save me like a month of work. That's huge.

So we're going to have the shop do the body work. Yes, yes, I know that you guys who tuned in to see me suffer through the dust are letting out a big groan but all parties (me and my dad) are fully in the camp that this thing needs to be done and enjoyed. This is the best path forward.

The schedule is now this - I will have the inside of the panels painted and everything delivered to the painter by the 12th. I go on vacation for a week. I'm going to bring the carbs with me to rebuild during down time. Then I will be into painting the chassis, engine, trans and other bits. All that should be good timing to bring the painted parts back and start chucking the Ole Healey back together.

No pictures but Sunday was spent prepping the fenders and quarters for POR-15 and tonight they saw their first coat.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/19 9:31 p.m.

That’s a no brainer.  If you really want to go through the bodywork pain i’ll let you help me

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/2/19 6:22 a.m.

Bodyman time is different than real time. Move every estimate to the nect unit of measure. 

Example: if he says a day, it will be a week. A week will be a month. Etc. 

At least thats every experience ive had with it.

AxeHealey
7/2/19 7:16 a.m.
Patrick said:

That’s a no brainer.  If you really want to go through the bodywork pain i’ll let you help me

I think I'll pass but thanks for the offer!

AxeHealey
7/2/19 7:29 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Bodyman time is different than real time. Move every estimate to the nect unit of measure. 

Example: if he says a day, it will be a week. A week will be a month. Etc. 

At least thats every experience ive had with it.

Yes, valid point. That being said, I still would have to multiply whatever time it takes him by a factor of...a lot... to get it done well myself.  Fingers crossed his estimate is close. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/2/19 12:33 p.m.

I've yet to ever meet a painter or upholstery guy that didn't underestimate the timeline required for the job. EVER. It's in their DNA.

He told you a figure of time that sounds close to reasonable only to get the work. It will sit in paint jail longer than you expect. It's also important that you never say the words or phrase similar to "I'm not in a hurry to get it back, just want it done."

I would make a surprise visit in a few days to see how many projects he has in the works has seen progress since you were last there. Maybe I'm just jaded from all previous experience, but it's so much harder to get your car back after they get started. The empty promises are just enough to let you give them another week to squeak by. Before you know it, it's 3-6 months later and you are left trying to figure out what went wrong.

Okay, rant over, hope this never becomes the case, just hate how this stuff works.

AxeHealey
7/2/19 12:38 p.m.

I am making it very clear to the guy that the primary reason he's getting the golden opportunity to do the body work is to save me time. I will continue to hit that nail hard. Thanks for the pep talk!

AxeHealey
7/7/19 7:14 p.m.

Pretty great long weekend.

July 4th with my wife and daughter. 

July 5th got the second coat of POR on the fenders and quarters.

July 6th flooded the truck leaving for Patrick's in the morning. Bummer. Daddywagen to the rescue and had a great time at the build party. Took the truck to dinner at my parents so as to not be defeated.

July 7th brunch with my wife and daughter. We're not fancy - the timing fits in my daughter's nap schedule. Then to the shop for the first coat of POR on the shrouds. I also woke up the racecar and drove it to my house for a much needed bath. It's really not that loud (in terms of racecars) but I rather enjoy the surprised looks I get. I suppose it's a bit "loud" looking too...

Now I'm hanging with the dogs on the deck catching up on GRM.

I finally got the Visa gift card from Acura in the mail. I bought an SCCA Rallycross banner for the truck (put it on last night, no pic) and will be getting badly needed new camber plates for the E21.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ArYPSkrRzASljU0bZEsipf7R1styqk1T3FinZpjJS3cGRCnhS696Ssanr2vrP5yW