759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
5/13/20 6:21 p.m.

What size are the Accord rims? Is a torsion bar axle in the 'MIX'

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/13/20 6:25 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

Depends. I have a lot of Accord wheels. 15-17 generally. The plan is to run the 15 inch steelies that came on the car since they don't fit over the current front brakes. A single spare will cover both the car and the trailer. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
5/13/20 6:28 p.m.

my bad I edited my post .....is there a Torsion bar axle in this picture?

mazdeuce - Seth
5/13/20 6:40 p.m.

I did not print a tiny torsion bar axle. I just eyballed the wheel height. That's to be decided When parts all come together. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/22/20 9:57 a.m.

There is 2/3 of a continent and an ocean between me and these bikes. But if all goes to plan I should be riding them sometime in July. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/22/20 10:08 a.m.

Sweet!  Details on those bikes? 
PS--Are you and your kids able to ride your bikes anywhere other than at the track?

mazdeuce - Seth
5/22/20 10:15 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

We could put dirt tires on them and trail ride on the national forest trails near our house but we just haven't. We may once we get the new bikes. They're brand new from HRC Honda NSF100's. Probably cost too much when it's all said and done, but this is my one "buy a new race bike from the factory" purchase that I ever get to do. laugh

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/22/20 11:04 a.m.

Wild -- so the 'body in white' look makes sense.  I've not heard of that bike before, but the testimonials are pretty compelling.

mazdeuce - Seth said:

They're brand new from HRC Honda NSF100's. Probably cost too much when it's all said and done, but this is my one "buy a new race bike from the factory" purchase that I ever get to do. laugh

My lord, you really are all-in.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/22/20 11:18 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

They have the same frame and basic mechanicals as the earlier NSR50, just with the 100cc four stroke instead of the 50cc two stroke. The frame has been around for a long time, but it works and has been the main training tool for a ton of riders. I was able to ride an NSR50 (not the on pictured, but just like it) last weekend and thankfully it cemented everything I was hoping out of the chassis and fit of the bike. Honda's development ladder started with this and then moved to the RS125, RS250 and then the 500's if you were one of the few. They sold a lot of NSR50's, some RS125's and few RS250's. The 500's were only factory or satellite bikes. 

The NSF100 is the first rung ladder in the four stroke era. From there it's either a Moriwaki 250 or the newer Honda NSF250 and then Moto3. I'm going full nerd on race bike stuff. laugh

(Jesse) Ransom
(Jesse) Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/22/20 11:19 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

How does the NSF100 compare to an Ohvale? Or is that even a sane question?

mazdeuce - Seth
5/22/20 11:28 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

They're brand new from HRC Honda NSF100's. Probably cost too much when it's all said and done, but this is my one "buy a new race bike from the factory" purchase that I ever get to do. laugh

I mean.....yes? The other way to look at it is that I'm still riding the same bike that I bought when I started this a year ago. I've done over 5,000 laps on it. I've ridden a LOT of other bikes on kart tracks in the past year trying to decide what my next bike would be. So one could say that I've taken a very conservative approach to deciding on what my next bike would be. Although this is kind of like autocrossing a base Civic for a year and then buying a Formula car of some sort. cheeky

mazdeuce - Seth
5/22/20 11:38 a.m.
(Jesse) Ransom said:

How does the NSF100 compare to an Ohvale? Or is that even a sane question?

It's the best question actually and I'll take some pictures of them togeteher once I get these bikes for a size/fit reference. 

The NSF100 is a spec bike. Only one engine, about 7hp. It's comparable to the Ohvale 110. Ohvale also has a 160, 190, and 212 in the same frame. The big bikes are well over 20hp and are absurdly fast on a kart track with enough power/torque to spin the rear wheel about anywhere. A true tiny superbike. The main difference is size. The Ohvale is a 10 inch wheel bike and the NSF is a 12 inch wheel with the bike scaled around that. The geometry of the NSF is also a bit more relaxed. All of that makes the NSF more comfortable to ride the larger you are. The NSF will fit more normal size people than the Ohvale. This was one of the main drivers behind my choice. The bike is small enough for my daughter (4'10) and big enough for me (5'10). Instead of sizing a bike for one of us and having the other one squeeze on it, we have a pair of bikes that fit us both. This simplifies maintence and spares and provides a B bike for race weekends. The second reason is that I'm in love with the reliability of the XR100 engine. 

It looks like the future of training bikes in the US is Ohvale. They should be racing alongside MotoAmerica this weekend in Wisconsin and a couple of the young riders are kids we share the track with. If my kid gets good and wants to play with the fast kids, we'll figure out how to get her on an Ohvale. In the mean time, we both get to learn together and have fun. If that's as far as it ever goes, we're both cool with it. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
5/22/20 5:04 p.m.

I love your comparison: why size a bike for one and have the other squeeze on it, when you can have two that fit you both? Duh! 

Seems like an appropriate time to reference this scene from Contact: 

Excited to learn more about the new race steeds. Curious: what are your goals here? Is your daughter looking to climb the GP racing ladder? 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/20 6:34 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I mean.....yes? The other way to look at it is that I'm still riding the same bike that I bought when I started this a year ago. I've done over 5,000 laps on it. I've ridden a LOT of other bikes on kart tracks in the past year trying to decide what my next bike would be. So one could say that I've taken a very conservative approach to deciding on what my next bike would be. Although this is kind of like autocrossing a base Civic for a year and then buying a Formula car of some sort. cheeky

this is motorcycle equivalent of autocrossing/tracking your Honda Fit in H Street for a year and then deciding to buy a HPD Formula F for C Mod/FF because you like the reliability of the engine but wanna go faster laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
5/22/20 6:35 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

I was originally testing the waters at bringing one in, but then I asked if they could fit two in a crate and the guy said yes, no price difference to crate two vs. one when they're that small and they fit in standard crate together. Then let's buy two! 

My daughter wants to have fun. That's the real end game. She's done growing and she'll never really be able to ride a full size bike. Even the RS125 is long for her. Part of having fun for her is being competitive. She reeeeeeealy enjoys beating people on better bikes because she's faster, but hates getting beat just because someone else is on faster equipment. These bikes are capable enough to get her to mid pack and battling with the fast kids in the classes she's legal for. She should be able to duke it it out modified Groms and Ohvale 110's and most of the two stroke 65's. If she gets good, properly fast, we have enough freinds that we can get her on equal machinery to the fast kids and see what she can do. Luckily we have racers locally that are nationally quick, so she has a good measuring stick. Because of her size there's no real moving up. She's got a couple years to play with racing and then she'll be just like the rest of us old local people that just like to play with bikes. And that's all I'm doing. Playing. Club racing. Getting to ride and fix and own some special machinery just like I did with cars. Probably doing some vintage racing either as a rider or just crew. I'm in my mid 40's so I've got between 10 and 20 years of playing if i stay healthy which is about as long as did autocross and track stuff before I fell down this rabbit hole. I'll still do car stuff at least a little and when bikes are done I'll jump back into cars. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/22/20 6:36 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

That's actually a perfect analogy. 

RichardNZ
RichardNZ New Reader
5/22/20 8:46 p.m.

Way cool...

These look like a really good entry to "real" race bikes, they certainly seem to have a great pedigree. As far as size goes I doubt her lack of height will be an issue unless she wants to step up to superbikes. smiley Angel Nieto was the king of 50cc Grand Prix for years and he was barely 5 feet tall, Bill Ivy was only 5' 3" and he won on 125's and 250's, even King Kenny was (IIRC) only a couple of inches over 5 feet.

Probably the real question is whether racing motorbikes with dad will survive boys and alcohol sad we lose a lot of juniors from trials around that 18 to 20 age group and then gate them back in their 30's or 40's.

As long as you stay healthy riding doesn't need to stop, I'll be 70 next year and I'm still semi competitive. My best friend is 74 and still doing regular track days although he does concede that his "litre bikes" go faster than he cares to ride and his Ducati and Bimota 400's are plenty fast enough.

Richard

mazdeuce - Seth
5/23/20 7:25 a.m.

In reply to RichardNZ :

That's encouraging to hear. Aside from the boys and alcohol part of course. And I'm glad to hear that being semi-competetive into my 70's could be a real thing. Of course I'm not quite semi-cometitive now, but maybe I can get there in time! 

The kids career aspirations are currently engineering over riding though she does keep suggesting that her choice of colleges may hinge on being in a region with an active mini-moto program. She's home for at least the next two years and it already making noises about me moving from endurance racing the Grom to teaming up with her on one of the new bikes for next seasons long races. The future has lots of options. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/23/20 7:32 a.m.

If she's looking at schools in the Northeast, NJ Mini GP is very active and mostly runs at the NJMP kart track.  This thread frequently makes me wonder why I stopped riding with them.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/23/20 10:15 a.m.

I made the mistake of watching some Ohvale on-board videos on YouTube and now I’m browsing classifieds.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
5/23/20 10:44 a.m.

Now that you've got a veritable pile of GP bikes, you're going to set the old XRs up for Flat Track, right? devil​​​​​​

5'-0", 95lbs. Shayna Texter.  If you're looking for someone in a small frame who hangs it out with the boys, Shayna is a great place to look for inspiration.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/23/20 4:23 p.m.

Short clip of the red RS125 on it's maiden voyage around the kart track on old tires. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/24/20 5:07 p.m.

Went to the other kart track today because we have a race (scheduled) there in two weeks and they're racing karts there next weekend. If we want practice, we practice today. Kids 2 and 3 riding around, very different styles. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/24/20 5:15 p.m.

There were five of us at the track. Two on XR100's, one KX65, the Grom and Kid#3 on her 70/110. Guess who was setting fastest laps in every session? Kid#3. Tears were shed. Egos bruised. I came right home and tried to figure out what was wrong with my bike. It must be the bike, right? 

Checked the valves. They should be 0.05mm. They were 0.2mm. That's probably it. Yea. That's it. 

Took it out to get it warm to adjust cam chain tension (because it's time, no speed to be had there) and part of that is getting a nice steady idle which it had been moody about lately. I played with it for a minute and really couldn't get the idle to set right. It was acting like a vacuum leak. How can it have a vacuum leak? There's only a inch of rubber between the carb and the head! Oh, that's why. Cracked boot. Spare bike means spare parts. Fixed it. 

Bike feels good and since nobody on the endurance team has to go to work tomorrow it's been suggested that we ride in Katy again. It's an hour drive instead of an 8 minute drive, but practice makes fast. We'll see if I got my missing horsepower back. Missing horsepower was totally the problem. 

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RnVRPHl19T4BaZdMerw0h68yzo7xeBzJneLduwmgVvLO3Xo0GiyBNZAkU2Y1dqgF