1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/20 7:37 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Wow, that's quite a gap. Is it quicker on the straights than the bikes too?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/19/20 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, I'm at about 54 and still gaining on the bike and the kart hits the rev limiter at 73. After I was done driving today we changed the gearset and top speed jumped to 77 but lap times fell slightly because acceleration on the slow parts was down just a bit. I think the lap record in a kart is something like 49 seconds. Those are 175 shifters making over 50hp. It gets incrementally harder to pick up whole seconds. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/20/20 11:12 a.m.

Which do you enjoy racing more, the bikes or the karts?

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/20/20 1:09 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

You know full well that there's no answer to that question and that we should all just be trying to figure out how to rationalize, store, and pay for karts AND bikes...

Or maybe it's just a bit...

(Because it's going to be opaque without the reference, it's that the question isn't "which one?" but "which one first?" But you should watch Hot Fuzz anyway.)

mazdeuce - Seth
12/10/20 6:35 p.m.

Update. Sort of dislocated a rib or something similar where the rib attaches to the spine. That hurt. I'm getting better but probably out of the kart for the endurance race. And yes, I was wearing my new rib protector, the kart just beat on me. 

I am back riding bikes fairly gently. Kid#3 has taken over the XR100 and is playing with sliding the bike at speed. She's a full second ahead of my all time lap record on the bike and is doing it with essentially no brakes, just playing with momentum. She just goes out and experiments. Kids. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
12/11/20 5:09 p.m.

" She's a full second ahead of my all time lap record on the bike and is doing it with essentially no brakes, just playing with momentum. She just goes out and experiments. Kids. "

I would love to hear her explanation on how she's able to do the momentum 'two step' while talking to her dear father....ala 'podcast' perhaps?   Amazing!!!!

mazdeuce - Seth
2/19/21 4:57 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

She's a natural. Stalled it once. Just riding around in first, but she loves it. 

Also, tiny dirt bikes are the best things EVER! Not sure how I forgot that. 

She's the same size, but the bikes keep getting bigger. Tomorrow she's going to ride the CR85 in the woods. The 70 has 3.5hp, the 85 has about 25. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/19/21 5:08 p.m.

Can we nominate this as the best thread ever? 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/19/21 5:18 p.m.

You guys doing alright down there?  You have power and heat?  Any burst pipes?  Thinking of you Texas-folk.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/19/21 6:35 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

We're good. Have friends with pipe issues but we made it through unscathed. Grocery store was even stocked today. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/20/21 9:19 a.m.

Many things I've neglected to put in the thread. I'll hit a few highlights. 

Soon after my karting adventures began I got sort of quicker in the kart and then dislocated a rib. Wearing a rib protector, doing it right. That's just what 3.5G can do to you if your core isn't in shape. Not super fun. That left Scott with zero teammates for the four hour race, which he did anyways, and won, by himself. It was epic. We did crew for him. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/20/21 9:23 a.m.

Our friend Mikey Sanchez who won the Ohvale Cup last year for North America is moving to Spain to race next year (he's 10, his parents are going too) so way too may of his bikes were for sale and we bought all of them. Almost. Things like another NSF100, an RS125 with a CRF150R motor, KTM RC390Cup, and kid #3 spend allllll of her hard saved mone on his Oset electric trials bike. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/20/21 9:27 a.m.

As part of that we bought a CRF150R roller mostly for the forks and use that to put the CR85 back together since I stole the forks off it before I knew the motor was salvageable. I keep buying bikes for forks. We've been doing a bunch of woods riding and dragging our road race friends along. They may need dirt gear. 

2/20/21 9:28 a.m.

She'll need to buy a framing hammer next.  So that she can nail together a bunch of old pallets in the back yard.  Pick up a couple electrical cable spools.  Maybe an old picnic table...

mazdeuce - Seth
2/20/21 9:37 a.m.

Traded a CRF450 that came with all the bikes for the endurance Grom, so I own that again. Revalved the forks and maybe it doesn't suck now. Also bought a KLX110 endurance bike for the kids team and spent a billion test days getting that working. It's soft for the kids and faaaaaaast. Now I'm responsible for prepping both bikes for both teams and our first race weekend in in two weeks. I'm not doing much car stuff aside from oil changes and general upkeep. 

Maybe that's not completely true, we are helping on other cars. Went to Austin to help with GLTC prep. Kid#3 spent 12 hours over 2 days hand painting the cage. Tiny people on the team are useful. 

And then we built a splitter that holds at least one Brian worth of downforce. 

And then the blizzard of the century moved in, we lost water and had to make coffee from snow water. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/20/21 9:43 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

She'll need to buy a framing hammer next.  So that she can nail together a bunch of old pallets in the back yard.  Pick up a couple electrical cable spools.  Maybe an old picnic table...

Yea, she's been asking where we can get some logs. Normal teen girl stuff. I need obstacles for my trials bike. 

2/20/21 4:21 p.m.

I feel like you need to do a fleet-review of all these motorcycles.  Give them all names and distinctive color schemes.  For an outsider, it's way too hard to keep track of all of them.

And for logs, I'd go check in with a local tree removal service.  They should have a nice variety.  Probably give them to you for free after hearing the reason why!

mazdeuce - Seth
2/20/21 4:38 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Yea, but if I make it so you guys know how many bikes I have then Mrs. Deuce will know. Do we really want that? laugh

In more XR100 related news, when we were getting sorted last night kid#2 asked if he could go. He was away at college when we started woods riding. He's back now. He thought it would be fun. It was a challenging day in the woods. I had to pull the bike off him three times and he has a bit of a hole in one leg. Dirt bike stuff. Riding though the snowy woods in Texas was weird and wonderful. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/20/21 5:46 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Our friend Mikey Sanchez who won the Ohvale Cup last year for North America is moving to Spain to race next year (he's 10, his parents are going too) so way too may of his bikes were for sale and we bought all of them. Almost. Things like another NSF100, an RS125 with a CRF150R motor, KTM RC390Cup, and kid #3 spend allllll of her hard saved mone on his Oset electric trials bike. 

Mmm, gonna need a bigger trailer.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/21 5:54 p.m.

+1 on how many bikes. Hell I have to figure out what I got sometimes. 

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/20/21 8:03 p.m.

I'm glad you have a lot of bikes; as I was remarking to Burrito the other day, it seems like there's a sort of level where when other people get up to X number of bikes the rest of us just look silly not have any bikes when they're smaller and cheaper than cars and so much fun...

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/21 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom (FFS) :

The nice thing about bikes is the cost on entry is low, cost of parts is low and take up minimum space. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/21 9:14 p.m.

It sounds like Kid #3 rides dirt bikes like I did.  He hasn't had to pull one out of a tree yet has he?

mazdeuce - Seth
2/20/21 9:19 p.m.

Just like with track and autocross and rallycross cars, the best most fun part is getting to hang out and play with your friends. I think having/finding motorcycle friends is half the battle. The bikes themselves are cheap, don't require any insurance (for dirt bikes and track bikes) you can tow them with anything they make a hitch for (see Miata pictures in this thread) you can store them next to/in front of a car in a regular single car garage, or if you're brave, kick the car out and you have room for a half dozen. 

I started autocross when a friend invited me to autocross. I started track driving when a friend invited me to a track weekend. I started motorcycles when a friend invited me to ride. I think I really like hanging out with people. 

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
2/21/21 4:11 p.m.

Great bunch of updates ...

I'm pleased to see DK3 on a trials bike (although I do think the next size up would be a slightly better fit). Are there any active trials clubs near you? We have a dozen or so "electric kids" that ride with us and their enthusiasm is very contagious.

Re the number of bikes - I'm sure your familiar with equation for the right number being N + 1 and D - 1 where N is what you've got and D will trigger a divorce smiley

cheers

R

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PWoPzR4gav2M4HgiPCFT7rFhTPUeoYhYyZcWUEVqebl93J7mHOD33PS7a6YOmxhC