1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22
RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/21 4:11 p.m.

Great bunch of updates ...

I'm pleased to see DK3 on a trials bike (although I do think the next size up would be a slightly better fit). Are there any active trials clubs near you? We have a dozen or so "electric kids" that ride with us and their enthusiasm is very contagious.

Re the number of bikes - I'm sure your familiar with equation for the right number being N + 1 and D - 1 where N is what you've got and D will trigger a divorce smiley

cheers

R

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/22/21 6:12 a.m.

In reply to RichardNZ :

Yes, the next size up would be ideal. In this case she wasn't sure how much she was going to like/use it vs her other motorcycle options and it was about 1/3 what they cost new with the bigger lithium battery. She got a good enough deal that she coudn't pass it up. 

I'm not aware of any trials groups by us. I know there is one in Oklahoma that does events and we're considered looking into that. We're still waiting on our full year race schedule to come out so we can plan around that. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/22/21 2:46 p.m.

When I slapped the 85 back together a while ago I took my time with the crank and the engine bits, but just threw the rest together figuring I'd check on it if things worked out well. After a bit of riding the rear spokes loosened up enough that the rim had over half an inch of side to side movement. It was very strange. And every nipple was seized on the spoke so I had to use the spoke remover. 

From there the majority of the spokes were seized in the hub, so a couple of hours work getting them out. Both wheel bearings were bad, surprisingly this is the good one because it actually moved. 

One of the two swingarm bearings was bad and one of the three linkage bearings. All getting replaced. New bearings and spokes on the way. Should improve rear end feel. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/24/21 11:25 a.m.

One of the other bikes currently in the fleet is this. KTM RC390 Cup. This is the race bike version of the RC390 that was built for a one make series that failed to gain traction. I have a soft spot for factory race bikes. 

It came with a motor that had a rod tey to jump through the block. It succeeded. I suspect that it was money shifted because I can't figure out how else you can do that to this motor at this power level. There was also a spare good motor in a box so it was a "some assembly required" project. Rode it around the block for the first time today. Runs great. Feels good. I have no idea what to do with it. There are a half dozen guys that ride them on the kart track, so I'll give that a try, but I'm not sure I want to do big track stuff. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
2/24/21 11:36 a.m.

Looks like wheels and risks are getting bigger Seth ^

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/21 11:42 a.m.

That the same motor in the 390dukes? If so what's your thoughts. That's what the better half is eyeing for the next bike. 

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/24/21 12:06 p.m.

I've been under the impression that the 390s just aren't enough bike not to be scary when sharing the big track with bigger bikes, just because of closing speeds.

That said, I wonder whether that's changing with the popularity of the 250-400 sportbikes. I mean, I don't know how popular they really are, but it seems like I've heard a lot more about them the last few years, but that might just be where I've been standing. Anyhow, I suppose that's not really pertinent to your situation/inclination.

It seems like you've already got the kart-track-size bike thing pretty well covered. I am very curious to hear your thoughts on how the KTM compares to your other kart track bikes.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/24/21 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Same motor and same chassis actually. The suspension, ergonomics and body work are different. This one has the CUP ecu so it's actually got less horsepower than the street bike so my impressions may not be accurate, but so far it seems like a big Grom. Very similar liner power delivery to not terribly high in the rev range. Just sort of more. Also thin through the middle so it feels smaller than it probably is. Even this bike feels very relaxed riding around from a seating standpoint so I imagine the Duke is relaxed enough that you can fall asleep in the riding position. The big thing for a new rider is that the bike is brilliant off idle so far, clutch is light, and power off the bottom is gentle when using only part of the throttle. It's probably easier to get moving than the Grom with the extra torque. Fuel injection really is brilliant. 

Edit: No idea what exactly you're looking for, but have you looked at/sat on the 200 Duke? I sit on it every time I go to the dealer. It probably bugs them. That really feels like a Grom that's capable of the speed limit. Neat little bike. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/24/21 1:24 p.m.
Jesse Ransom (FFS) said:

I've been under the impression that the 390s just aren't enough bike not to be scary when sharing the big track with bigger bikes, just because of closing speeds.

That said, I wonder whether that's changing with the popularity of the 250-400 sportbikes. I mean, I don't know how popular they really are, but it seems like I've heard a lot more about them the last few years, but that might just be where I've been standing. Anyhow, I suppose that's not really pertinent to your situation/inclination.

It seems like you've already got the kart-track-size bike thing pretty well covered. I am very curious to hear your thoughts on how the KTM compares to your other kart track bikes.

I'm not sure what I'm going to get out of a big track that I'm not getting out of little tracks. I mean, speed, but that's not really my thing, even with cars on a big track. I just want to ride/drive things that corner at the limit of traction in a satisfying way. Doing that faster has never made the experience more fun. On a bike it seems like it can dramatically increase consequences though. We'll see. I may do one day just to see what it's about. I do have all the gear and a bike and all that so my entry costs are low. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/24/21 1:38 p.m.

Sort of related to all of this, Google's AI is getting pretty good at combing through your old images to see what you might want to see. 14 years ago today I took a bunch of pictures but Google thinks this one may interest me the most. Kid#2 was three years old. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/21 1:39 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Jesse Ransom (FFS) said:

I've been under the impression that the 390s just aren't enough bike not to be scary when sharing the big track with bigger bikes, just because of closing speeds.

That said, I wonder whether that's changing with the popularity of the 250-400 sportbikes. I mean, I don't know how popular they really are, but it seems like I've heard a lot more about them the last few years, but that might just be where I've been standing. Anyhow, I suppose that's not really pertinent to your situation/inclination.

It seems like you've already got the kart-track-size bike thing pretty well covered. I am very curious to hear your thoughts on how the KTM compares to your other kart track bikes.

I'm not sure what I'm going to get out of a big track that I'm not getting out of little tracks. I mean, speed, but that's not really my thing, even with cars on a big track. I just want to ride/drive things that corner at the limit of traction in a satisfying way. Doing that faster has never made the experience more fun. On a bike it seems like it can dramatically increase consequences though. We'll see. I may do one day just to see what it's about. I do have all the gear and a bike and all that so my entry costs are low. 

It's the potential exit costs that would concern me.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/21 2:14 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Same motor and same chassis actually. The suspension, ergonomics and body work are different. This one has the CUP ecu so it's actually got less horsepower than the street bike so my impressions may not be accurate, but so far it seems like a big Grom. Very similar liner power delivery to not terribly high in the rev range. Just sort of more. Also thin through the middle so it feels smaller than it probably is. Even this bike feels very relaxed riding around from a seating standpoint so I imagine the Duke is relaxed enough that you can fall asleep in the riding position. The big thing for a new rider is that the bike is brilliant off idle so far, clutch is light, and power off the bottom is gentle when using only part of the throttle. It's probably easier to get moving than the Grom with the extra torque. Fuel injection really is brilliant. 

Edit: No idea what exactly you're looking for, but have you looked at/sat on the 200 Duke? I sit on it every time I go to the dealer. It probably bugs them. That really feels like a Grom that's capable of the speed limit. Neat little bike. 

She hasn't even sat on a 390 duke. It's more of a come up in conversation with a few folks and she watched some reviews and likes it. I'll have her try the 200 and 390 duke. It would be a bop around bike and some curvy roads. I just checked a the local ktm dealer has both in stock. 

Grom is all around great for her minus it's a touch slow on bigger roads around here. Like going to her cousin's house.

I really like efi bikes for new riders. 

 

Edit: she did go around the block on a cb300 and loved it, she likes the styling and the duke seems to be a step up in farkles and quality over the honda for basically the same money. It won't be a purchase till this fall at the earliest, I just keep trying to learn more about them.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/24/21 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

The 390 isn't tall, but none of the women in my family are either which is why I'm always thinking seat height without realizing that there are riders out there taller than 5 foot nothing. The upside of the 390 Duke is that you can find one a few years old for cheaper than a new 200 and it's got HUGE aftermarket support. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/21 6:10 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

That's what attracted her to the 390, at 5'3 seat height matters. The aftermarket is a huge plus. I think 18 was the refresh for them and that's what she wants. They are substantially nicer. 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
2/25/21 7:47 a.m.

I can't remember the details, but I think some of the earlier 390's had some engine problems.  I want to say the early ones had a tendency to overheat, and that it was remedied by a certain model year.  I don't know.  My memory sucks.  Just something to look into before dropping the cash.

For a while I was pretty intrigued by the 390 Duke, but my inner cheapskate always wins and I buy broken crap instead.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/25/21 7:53 a.m.

In reply to bigeyedfish :

I mean I own 3 bikes with a combined value of $3k

 

17+ is the ticket. That's the update. Brakes, forks, rad fans, styling, cluster and tuning. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/28/21 4:56 p.m.

This season kid#3 is getting more involved in bike prep. She's already mastered plastics on and off and other small things. Next order of business is safety wire. Took her four tries to get the caliper bolts tied together but she nailed the oil drain first try. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/21 6:26 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I need to rewire my front calipers and drain bolt on the drz after the next service and fresh pads. 

HikerDan (Forum Supporter)
HikerDan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/28/21 7:24 p.m.

I just want to say this thread makes me happy. Love seeing how this is a family experience, and they are free to ride or not as they want to. I have so many great memories on motorcycles, and it's awesome to see other people having fun whether it's at the track, in the woods or in the yard. Rock on!!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/1/21 6:48 a.m.

In reply to HikerDan (Forum Supporter) :

There is something about motorcycles, especially the small ones, that keeps you grounded in the reality that this is supposed to be fun. My daughter isn't riding her NSF100 in the races this season. She still likes it, but she's a kid and the new fast bike is more fun. It took me a little bit inside my own head to remember that that's fine. 

First races of the season next weekend!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/1/21 3:08 p.m.

Spokes came today so I'm wheel building. I don't trust my truing stand to be true so I'll do the final check on the bike once all the bearings come in. Pretty sure it's round enough for a dirt bike without any adjustments. I may be getting better at this. 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/21 5:31 p.m.

Very nice.  I've done bicycle wheels a bunch, and it looks pretty similar.

Do they recommend a torque rating on those spoke nipples?  Or do you just tighten them until they strip, and then back them off a quarter turn?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/1/21 9:39 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Somewhere between 30 and 60 inch pounds depending on what the wheel is and spoke gauge and all of that These will be about 48 when I get to the final torquing. I did 18 and 32 and they're resting until I do a final truing and torquing. My spoke torque wrench is one of my more esoteric tools. 

 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/21 8:08 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Please show said spoke-torque-wrench in action.

Also, do you use another wrench to hold the hub end of the spoke or does it key on the hub somehow?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/2/21 8:42 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

The spokes on this wheel have a bend in them as they exit the hub and that keeps them from rotating. Other wheels I've built use L shaped spokes so it's not an issue. I do make sure to use spoke nipple lube which is supposed to help with even torquing and keeping threads viable for longer. 

Torque wrench came in a set with 10 or so different wrench ends. Works just like you think it would. Adjust on the barrel and twist until it clicks. There is the whole procedure for working your way around the wheel evenly, but that's the basics. 

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22
Our Preferred Partners
ei9l2fQyScRNOh4VYUy7EQePRPcEAmyImEXPPf0abNrDoICwHQ2ULQUUIBhsqHjp